Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

Re: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Well, not really. But I'd try to maximize game ending turn one plays. Perhaps something like this

4 Plateau
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Plains
    4 Serum Powder
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Thalia, Guardian Of Thraben
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Palace Jailer

Optimized to cast turn 1 Thalia, Thorn, Moon or Chalice. Disclaimer: Not saying at all this is remotely the best direction to take it.
    If you go Red/White I think you've got to include Nahiri. She's just so good in these kinds of decks.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    If you go Red/White I think you've got to include Nahiri. She's just so good in these kinds of decks.
    Would need to go a different direction than thalia plus thorn though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

This is the most playable chunderbucket pile on this page so far, especially the monogreen 8 Chancellors build with Living Wish.

Chancellors + Living Wish is a brilliant way to both have a high density and variety of threats while still running a high density of cards relevant in turns 1-2, so you can be interactive and aren't stuck with too many slow dead cards. Has anyone else tested that build?

Also Choke + Trinisphere FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    This is the most playable chunderbucket pile on this page so far, especially the monogreen 8 Chancellors build with Living Wish.

Chancellors + Living Wish is a brilliant way to both have a high density and variety of threats while still running a high density of cards relevant in turns 1-2, so you can be interactive and aren't stuck with too many slow dead cards. Has anyone else tested that build?

Also Choke + Trinisphere FTW.
    Yes, strong but inconsistent. Incredibly dependent on opening hand + 1st 2 or 3 draws.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Yes, strong but inconsistent. Incredibly dependent on opening hand + 1st 2 or 3 draws.
    This is true for every deck not running cantrips.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

It’s not quite ucp but honorary mention to this guy: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20714&d=336599&f=LE .

1 [XLN] Search for Azcanta
    1 [5E] Sylvan Library
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    1 [EMN] Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
    1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    1 [MBS] Green Sun's Zenith
    1 [C13] Toxic Deluge
    1 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
    1 [TE] Intuition
    1 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 [] Assassin's Trophy
    2 [FE] Hymn to Tourach
    4 [SH] Mox Diamond
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    1 [C15] Centaur Vinecrasher
    1 [BNG] Courser of Kruphix
    1 [CN2] Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 [HOU] Nimble Obstructionist
    1 [HOU] Ramunap Excavator
    1 [SOI] The Gitrog Monster
    4 [C16] Baleful Strix
    1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    1 [OD] Cabal Pit
    1 [OD] Cephalid Coliseum
    1 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit
    1 [FUT] Dryad Arbor
    1 [RTR] Forest
    1 [AKH] Fetid Pools
    1 [R] Tropical Island
    1 [M15] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 [R] Underground Sea
    1 [RTR] Swamp
    1 [C15] Ghost Quarter
    3 [R] Bayou
    4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    SB: 1 [TE] Diabolic Edict
    SB: 1 [7E] Engineered Plague
    SB: 1 [8E] Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 [C15] Golgari Charm
    SB: 1 [AL] Helm of Obedience
    SB: 1 [AKH] Lay Bare the Heart
    SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 [] Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1 [] Damping Sphere
    SB: 1 [5E] Tsunami
    SB: 1 [C16] Scavenging Ooze

Winter Maze

Orim67 was streaming UCP. List is close to Bahra's. He went 4-1 in a league yesterday apparently.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AgileLongMonitorFloof

Winter Maze

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Tsabo’s Web fits perfectly with thalia. Its a fantastic card Ive always wantedto use but never had the chance. Maybe you can make it great... for the first time ever.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Good luck, write up a report if you get time! I feel like the new mulligan rule will really help this deck.

Winter Maze

I wasn't able to print out living wishes to run Bahra/Orim67's version (proxy tournament) ...so this morning I decided to splash blue for show and tell.

Started out well 2-1...but then the wheels fell off the bus. Beat stone blade and turbo depths. Lost to dnt twice and lands twice. Dnt felt terrible, my show and tell always met Palace jailer or karakas. I feel like living wish is really important for us but not sure how to win this one .

4 ancient tomb
    2 city of traitors
    1 cavern of souls
    8 green fetches
    2 tropical island
    2 forest

4 lotus petal
    4 chrome mox

4 elvish Piper
    4 champion of rhonas
    4 show and tell
    4 chancellor of the annex
    2 chancellor of the tangle
    4 griselbrand
    2 Emrakul, the aeons torn
    4 chalice of the void
    3 trinisphere
    2 sylvan library

SB:
    4 leyline of the void
    2 faerie macabre
    2 boseiju, who shelters all
    2 terrastodon
    1 wreck sage
    2 choke
    2 lightning Greaves

Winter Maze

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Good luck, write up a report if you get time! I feel like the new mulligan rule will really help this deck.
    i went 0-3 drop but had fun and the new mulligan felt great...

lost 1-2 against burn but would've absolutely won game three if i had sequenced better.
    lost 0-2 against D&T but not going first into an aether vial sucked. probably a bad match-up.
    lost 1-2 against grixis control. each loss was close until he cast kolaghan's command.

deck was fun but wildly inconsistent, like drawing multiple suppression fields against burn is basically an auto loss.
    i did get a turn 0 scoop against the grixis player with a turn 1 suppression field and chancellor back-up; he only had fetches in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    i did get a turn 0 scoop against the grixis player with a turn 1 suppression field and chancellor back-up; he only had fetches in hand.
    good work! This is why the deck exists.

Winter Maze

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Tsabo’s Web fits perfectly with thalia. Its a fantastic card Ive always wantedto use but never had the chance. Maybe you can make it great... for the first time ever.
    Side note: It's actually pretty good anyway against D&T, Lands, and Depths to a lesser degree. I actually keep a couple in my side to GOTCHA depth's players when they tap a Stage for something else or urborg-tap their depths and stuff. Just depends if you have any issues with those MUs or not.

i went 0-3 drop but had fun and the new mulligan felt great...

lost 1-2 against burn but would've absolutely won game three if i had sequenced better.
    lost 0-2 against D&T but not going first into an aether vial sucked. probably a bad match-up.
    Yeah, Burn is bad and so is D&T; but D&T is much more managable if you're running Suppression Field (which I was not when I ran something like this.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    Side note: It's actually pretty good anyway against D&T, Lands, and Depths to a lesser degree. I actually keep a couple in my side to GOTCHA depth's players when they tap a Stage for something else or urborg-tap their depths and stuff. Just depends if you have any issues with those MUs or not.

Yeah, Burn is bad and so is D&T; but D&T is much more managable if you're running Suppression Field (which I was not when I ran something like this.)
    List...?

Winter Maze

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Well, not really. But I'd try to maximize game ending turn one plays. Perhaps something like this

4 Plateau
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Windswept Heath
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Plains
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Thalia, Guardian Of Thraben
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Brightling

Optimized to cast turn 1 Thalia, Thorn, Moon or Chalice. Disclaimer: Not saying at all this is remotely the best direction to take it.

running this tonight...

running this tonight...
    Nice! Report?

Winter Maze

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Nice! Report?
    sadly, i went 1-3 and scrubbed out.

2-0 storm
    0-2 delver
    1-2 BR reanimator
    1-2 maverick

match 1 against storm and it was a slaughter; got it 2-0 in minutes.
    match 2 against delver/blue stew but without chancellor back-up, my turn one chalice was forced and then i died to a flipped delver.
    game 2 was interesting in that i kept a no-land hand for chrome mox, chrome mox, chalice on 1 which promptly met an engineered explosives.
    match 3 was against BR reanimator and he had chancellor every single game. this delay allowed him to thoughtseize me every turn one.
    match 4 was against maverick mid-range that laughed at my turn 1 plays and the only game i won was a turn one bloodmoon, since he couldn't fetch.

I'm gonna try bahra's list (with 2x lightning greaves) but getting 2x norwood priestess requires "some" effort.
    i have 16 cards in the sideboard 'cause i want the dark depths combo available. i might have to drop terastodon.

2x wooded foothills
    2x windswept heath
    5x forest
    3x cavern of souls
    4x ancient tomb
    4x city of traitors

1x sylvan library
    4x champion of rhonas
    3x elvish piper
    2x norwood priestess
    4x elvish spirit guide
    4x living wish
    4x chancellor of the tangle

4x chancellor of the annex

4x chalice of the void
    4x chrome mox
    4x trinisphere
    2x lightning greaves

1x karakas
    1x thespians' stage
    1x dark depths
    1x bojuka bog
    1x the tabernacle at pendrell vale

4x leyline of the void

1x faerie macabre
    1x elvish piper
    1x thragtusk
    1x terastodon
    1x reclamation sage
    1x progenitus
    1x emrakul, the aeons torn

EDIT: went 0-4. i only got the "combo" once and most decks can just go around or over chalice at 1
    every single game, my opening hand had either a chalice or trinisphere, but i only won one game.

A+B combo is hard to assemble without cantrips and is worse when you're not applying pressure as you try to draw into your combo.

RW painter thought my chalices were annoying
    BR reanimator also had chancellor triggers that slowed me just enough
    UB Tezzerator thought my chalice on 1 was cute
    grixis delver just powered out a gurmag angler

final thoughts: anyone that thinks chalice should be banned is probably a brainstorm shill
    Last edited by non-inflammable; 04-01-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Cool, Bahra's list is solid. Hope you get some good luck. Why is dark depths in the board? You would need to draw two wishes right?

Winter Maze

Science is on our side! Courtesy of cfb: https://www.channelfireball.com/arti...903.1512614613.

Winter Maze

Thread Information