Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

Re: Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile (but with chalice)

Last edited by kinda; 03-11-2020 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Is playing 15 maindeck Pipers better than just running some Questing Beast as an alternate win (with 10-12 Piper effects)?

Also what's the point of this 10-mana weenie that doesn't fly or have lifelink?

You may want to reconsider Choke when 60% of your colored lands are Islands...
    You: Tap Forest and Tomb to play Choke, with Tropical Island untapped.
    Opponent: Daze, returning tapped Volcanic Island
    What do you even do here? Is it even worth paying for Daze?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Is playing 15 maindeck Pipers better than just running some Questing Beast as an alternate win (with 10-12 Piper effects)?

Also what's the point of this 10-mana weenie that doesn't fly or have lifelink?

You may want to reconsider Choke when 60% of your colored lands are Islands...
    You: Tap Forest and Tomb to play Choke, with Tropical Island untapped.
    Opponent: Daze, returning tapped Volcanic Island
    What do you even do here? Is it even worth paying for Daze?
    I'm sold on snt in here but the pipers tend to die when I've played this...but when they don't u win. I think the redundancy is worth it. But I'm definitely not sold on snt. I considered oko. Questing is possible too or gsz or shifting.

It's blue for chalice lol.

Good point on choke...ill cut it.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

so this just bad sneak&breach?

Quote Originally Posted by Anomalous__ View Post
    so this just bad sneak&breach?
    It's very different to sneak and skill. The goal is to get a turn one lock piece or threat protected by a revealed chancellor. Then you run the suite of reusable one-sided show and tells to dump your fatties into play.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Once Upon a Time and Griselbrand seem good here.

One of the biggest weakness of Chalice decks is variance due to lack of card draw/card selection. Since both your enablers and threats are creatures (unlike in EurekaTell), OUAT seems strong here. Griselbrand just because... cheating anything else out feels ike you're not cheating enough

//Mana: 22
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Prismatic Vista
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Island

//Fair Creatures: 12
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Chancellor of the Tangle

//Elvish Pipers: 10
    4 Arcane Artisan
    4 Champion of Rhonas
    2 Eureka

//Fair Permanents: 10
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    2 Sylvan Library

//Other Spells: 6
    3 Once Upon a Time
    3 Living Wish

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    1 Living Wish
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Elvish Piper
    1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Ashen Rider
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas

Ewlandon on twitch played this deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLzc_xkor1g .

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Ewlandon on twitch played this deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLzc_xkor1g .
    I agree with his commentary... I don't get the Jin-Gitaxias. Griselbrand seems amazing in this deck.

I agree with his commentary... I don't get the Jin-Gitaxias. Griselbrand seems amazing in this deck.
    Agreed, think two md grizzly plus one in the SB is needed.

Winter Maze

ThrabenU went 4-1! GU version with Griselbrand this time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNwXgbZjEdg . Jerry Mee was the round 2 opponent and he posted a picture in the Leaving a Legacy fb group after Phil got a turn 1 3sphere protected by chancellor, pretty funny.

Winter Maze

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

The 12 Leylines are too cute, not enough value or synergy with the main plan. I played Leylines.dec enough to know that Serra's Sanctum doesn't even function as a consistent Sol Land with only 12 Leylines in the deck. It's not worth it. The deck is better without a conditional land. Leyline of Lifeforce protects the combo, so it might be OK.

LotV could work in the main if you have Helm combo. It could be good in this meta as Lurrus hate and combo hate.

Where's Chancellor of the Tangle? It helps Turn 1 Trinisphere and gives you important bodies to deploy. Otherwise you have too few creature payoffs.

Maybe...

//Creatures: 20
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Arcane Artisan
    4 Champion of Rhonas

//Planeswalkers: 6
    2 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Artifacts: 7
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Tangle Wire

//Enchantments: 8
    4 Leyline of Lifeforce
    4 Leyline of the Void

//Lands: 19
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Prismatic Vista
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Karakas

1 Keruga, the Macrosage
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Summoner's Egg
    3 Choke
    3 Force of Vigor
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Questing Beast

The blue splash gives Arcane Artisan, which both seems better than Piper and comes down a turn earlier. You also get Oko as a way to interact with early permanents on the board. Another blue card to consider is Propaganda, to slow them down and buy you time.

Without Chalice this deck loses a lot of early game disruption, so I added Tangle Wire to slow down fast decks. Oko can Elk dying Tangle Wires for extra synergy.

I included some creatures to just hardcast in games when the engine doesn't work.

Choke is one of the best 3 cmc reasons to be in Green and should be in any version of this.

The 12 Leylines are too cute, not enough value or synergy with the main plan. I played Leylines.dec enough to know that Serra's Sanctum doesn't even function as a consistent Sol Land with only 12 Leylines in the deck. It's not worth it. The deck is better without a conditional land. Leyline of Lifeforce protects the combo, so it might be OK.

LotV could work in the main if you have Helm combo. It could be good in this meta as Lurrus hate and combo hate.

Where's Chancellor of the Tangle? It helps Turn 1 Trinisphere and gives you important bodies to deploy. Otherwise you have too few creature payoffs.

Maybe...

//Creatures: 20
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Arcane Artisan
    4 Champion of Rhonas

//Planeswalkers: 6
    2 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Artifacts: 7
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Tangle Wire

//Enchantments: 8
    4 Leyline of Lifeforce
    4 Leyline of the Void

//Lands: 19
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Prismatic Vista
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    3 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Karakas

1 Keruga, the Macrosage
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    1 Summoner's Egg
    3 Choke
    3 Force of Vigor
    1 Reclamation Sage
    2 Questing Beast

The blue splash gives Arcane Artisan, which both seems better than Piper and comes down a turn earlier. You also get Oko as a way to interact with early permanents on the board. Another blue card to consider is Propaganda, to slow them down and buy you time.

Without Chalice this deck loses a lot of early game disruption, so I added Tangle Wire to slow down fast decks. Oko can Elk dying Tangle Wires for extra synergy.

I included some creatures to just hardcast in games when the engine doesn't work.

Choke is one of the best 3 cmc reasons to be in Green and should be in any version of this.
    This looks sweet. Might cut the wires for more lands though.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Revisiting this idea as well, with Keruga

Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile, but with Hippos!

//Companion: 1
    1 Keruga, the Macrosage

//Mana: 30
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Forest

//Enchantments: 11
    3 Choke
    4 Leyline of Lifeforce
    4 Court of Bounty

//Artifacts: 4
    4 Trinisphere

//Creatures: 15
    4 Champion of Rhonas
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Griselbrand

//Sideboard: 14
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Questing Beast
    3 Tangle Wire
    2 Reclamation Sage
    2 Force of Vigor

Court of Bounty is a huge upgrade to the fragile Elvish Piper and can be protected from aggro postboard via Tangle Wire, letting you still draw cards and play free creatures while everyone is tapped out.

Revisiting this idea as well, with Keruga

Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile, but with Hippos!

//Companion: 1
    1 Keruga, the Macrosage

//Mana: 30
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    10 Forest

//Enchantments: 11
    3 Choke
    4 Leyline of Lifeforce
    4 Court of Bounty

//Artifacts: 4
    4 Trinisphere

//Creatures: 15
    4 Champion of Rhonas
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Griselbrand

//Sideboard: 14
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Questing Beast
    3 Tangle Wire
    2 Reclamation Sage
    2 Force of Vigor

Court of Bounty is a huge upgrade to the fragile Elvish Piper and can be protected from aggro postboard via Tangle Wire, letting you still draw cards and play free creatures while everyone is tapped out.
    This looks strong but I'd go RG and run blood sun over leyline (or moon if the mana could work). Or just piper over leyline, the redundancy > the protection since it helps vs bolt etc. too. I'd also plan to SB out court vs delver for chalices or Bonecrushers.

Winter Maze

Here is my latest pile, also known as fuckblue.dec

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    2 Reclamation Sage
    2 Carnage Tyrant
    4 Choke
    4 Veil of Summer
    4 Once Upon a Time
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Forest
    4 Turntimber Symbiosis

Sideboard

2 Thought-Knot Seer
    2 Questing Beast
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Force of Vigor
    3 Tangle Wire

Allosaurus Shepherd interacts so nicely with Chalice.

Sep 2011

In my experience it doesn't really matter much with what you beat them up when you have locked them with uncounterable Choke or Trinisphere with Veil backup. But ok, I guess I can open up a toolbox:

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Choke
    4 Veil of Summer
    4 Once Upon a Time
    1 Green Sun Zenith
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Shifting Triceratops
    1 Scavenging Ooze

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    7 Forest
    4 Turntimber Symbiosis

I insist on keeping 4 Veil, and 4 Spirit Guides to fuck over their Dazes or pitching them to Veil. I don't care that this folds to D&T and Moon Stompy and Maverick and Depths and Hogaak, it's about sending a message.

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    In my experience it doesn't really matter much with what you beat them up when you have locked them with uncounterable Choke or Trinisphere with Veil backup. But ok, I guess I can open up a toolbox:

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Choke
    4 Veil of Summer
    4 Once Upon a Time
    1 Green Sun Zenith
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Shifting Triceratops
    1 Scavenging Ooze

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    7 Forest
    4 Turntimber Symbiosis

I insist on keeping 4 Veil, and 4 Spirit Guides to fuck over their Dazes or pitching them to Veil. I don't care that this folds to D&T and Moon Stompy and Maverick and Depths and Hogaak, it's about sending a message.
    I think you're missing some of the steps in this deck required to get some wins. I'd check out this video of the deck going 4-1: https://youtu.be/cNwXgbZjEdg.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I think you're missing some of the steps in this deck required to get some wins. I'd check out this video of the deck going 4-1: https://youtu.be/cNwXgbZjEdg.
    He is the inventor of the deck...
    Edit: Or maybe not. You started the thread. I assumed from his username this was his brew before.

That said, yeah I agree he's cut down too many win conditions. The problem is if you don't follow up the disruption with a threat then a single Snapcaster Mage, Brazen Borrower, or pair of Baleful Strix might just kill you before you topdeck into 7 mana. Chalice decks can notoriously lose after sticking all their pieces if they can't also make a clock. It doesn't really matter what the threat is, but you need a threat. His list looks too light. Just adding more Zeniths or a set of Questing Beasts should speed it up a lot.

Thread Information