Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arclight Dega

Jul 2013
    Texas

Arclight Dega

Thanks Callum, I’ll take a look because the Dega version has kind of petered out with the rise of so many combo decks. A little frustrating that this just becomes another Grixis shell but what can you do.

Couple questions:

You don’t think Force is necessary in SB? Fluster is great, but still whiffs on some stuff....

Considered entomb/intuition as alternatives to Buried Alive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2013
    Texas

Re: Arclight Dega

lol my first game with the grixis deck was a T3 win vs miracles on the draw

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Thanks Callum, I’ll take a look because the Dega version has kind of petered out with the rise of so many combo decks. A little frustrating that this just becomes another Grixis shell but what can you do.

Couple questions:

You don’t think Force is necessary in SB? Fluster is great, but still whiffs on some stuff....

Considered entomb/intuition as alternatives to Buried Alive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, sorry it's gone blue, but really when you're trying to chain spells together that are also an A+B synergy there's nothing better than Brainstorm and friends.

Force could def be worth playing, I've been meaning to try 2 or 3 in the sideboard, they could replace Flusters like you suggest. In fact Fluster hasn't been doing that much, mostly been live vs SnS and every other combo deck is using discard on you first.

One concern is this deck could really suffer from people knowing the list and knowing there's barely any countermagic, it's fair that most people playing vs this would expect at least Force so far and probably cantrip into discard before going off. When that happens I'm planning to change things up at least to see if the theory is true. I didn't post about it in this thread, but I was streaming and playing irl with 2-3 Dazes in the main. They can be backbreaking when you're coupling them with such a fast clock and the heavy discard package, but they come with their major downsides too. Reactive cards can be pretty awful when you're wanting proactive things for YP and Phoenixes. But on a similar note of people knowing the list, if it does get out and become more known Daze gains loads of power.

I tried Entomb a bunch when first playing the deck. It's fine, nice thing to play on T3 after some discard and cantrips, it's basically a flipped hasty Delver for B which is decent, I also Entombed for a Therapy a fair amount of times. But it was also always one of the first cuts, you're expecting people to board in some GY hate vs you, and with how low power level it is vs Buried Alive in the context of the deck it just wasn't doing enough to warrant a MD slot that got sided out constantly. Ofc you could play cool stuff like Lingering Souls, Deep Analysis, Creeping Chill etc, but they're so bad to draw. Kind of back to the reasoning to play blue cards, consistency is not to be underrated and playing cute 1-ofs really hampers that.

I didn't try Intuition but a lot of people have suggested it. I really don't see it in the deck though, most importantly because you can't cast it off Dark Ritual, but also it only fetches 2 Phoenixes to put into play, so you'd then want things like Faithless Looting (which was pretty bad in the deck in the end), and god forbid Careful Study, to finish the Intuition off. But really the Ritual point is most important, I saw you've played the deck some amount from Twitter (that is you, right?), the line of T2 Cantrip into missing combo piece comes up a large amount of the time, it's integral to the deck I think. At the end of the day the combo is 'only' putting 3 Delvers into play. Why it's so effective is because you're doing this either very early in the game before the opponent can set up shop and find the answers, or after you've discard their hand. I don't see Intuition doing either better than Buried Alive.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    lol my first game with the grixis deck was a T3 win vs miracles on the draw
    Miracles has felt like a slaughter so far. Small sample size, but currently 5-0 in matches in leagues online. Sometimes ya just Phoenix people!

I think the deck could pick up some traction too, I really believe there's something here, so I might start a new thread and make a small primer tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    Yeah, sorry it's gone blue, but really when you're trying to chain spells together that are also an A+B synergy there's nothing better than Brainstorm and friends.

Force could def be worth playing, I've been meaning to try 2 or 3 in the sideboard, they could replace Flusters like you suggest. In fact Fluster hasn't been doing that much, mostly been live vs SnS and every other combo deck is using discard on you first.

One concern is this deck could really suffer from people knowing the list and knowing there's barely any countermagic, it's fair that most people playing vs this would expect at least Force so far and probably cantrip into discard before going off. When that happens I'm planning to change things up at least to see if the theory is true. I didn't post about it in this thread, but I was streaming and playing irl with 2-3 Dazes in the main. They can be backbreaking when you're coupling them with such a fast clock and the heavy discard package, but they come with their major downsides too. Reactive cards can be pretty awful when you're wanting proactive things for YP and Phoenixes. But on a similar note of people knowing the list, if it does get out and become more known Daze gains loads of power.

I tried Entomb a bunch when first playing the deck. It's fine, nice thing to play on T3 after some discard and cantrips, it's basically a flipped hasty Delver for B which is decent, I also Entombed for a Therapy a fair amount of times. But it was also always one of the first cuts, you're expecting people to board in some GY hate vs you, and with how low power level it is vs Buried Alive in the context of the deck it just wasn't doing enough to warrant a MD slot that got sided out constantly. Ofc you could play cool stuff like Lingering Souls, Deep Analysis, Creeping Chill etc, but they're so bad to draw. Kind of back to the reasoning to play blue cards, consistency is not to be underrated and playing cute 1-ofs really hampers that.

I didn't try Intuition but a lot of people have suggested it. I really don't see it in the deck though, most importantly because you can't cast it off Dark Ritual, but also it only fetches 2 Phoenixes to put into play, so you'd then want things like Faithless Looting (which was pretty bad in the deck in the end), and god forbid Careful Study, to finish the Intuition off. But really the Ritual point is most important, I saw you've played the deck some amount from Twitter (that is you, right?), the line of T2 Cantrip into missing combo piece comes up a large amount of the time, it's integral to the deck I think. At the end of the day the combo is 'only' putting 3 Delvers into play. Why it's so effective is because you're doing this either very early in the game before the opponent can set up shop and find the answers, or after you've discard their hand. I don't see Intuition doing either better than Buried Alive.

Miracles has felt like a slaughter so far. Small sample size, but currently 5-0 in matches in leagues online. Sometimes ya just Phoenix people!

I think the deck could pick up some traction too, I really believe there's something here, so I might start a new thread and make a small primer tomorrow.
    Hi there! Looking into this deck as my first legacy deck. Curious to see if there have been any updates to it from testing or otherwise. Thanks for having this thread. The deck looks really fun

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by youngphx View Post
    Hi there! Looking into this deck as my first legacy deck. Curious to see if there have been any updates to it from testing or otherwise. Thanks for having this thread. The deck looks really fun
    Hey. That's great, I've started another thread actually which you can find here - http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Buried-Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Thread Information