Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arclight Dega

Re: Arclight Dega

If I look at these lists I feel like you run out of cards really fast. It might be something to add Painful Truths to restock and be able to actually cast 3 spells beyond turn 3 (if you failed the first few turns).
    Also free spells like the already mentioned Gut Shot and even Noxious Revival can help ramp out that third spell, where the last one can protect against targeted grave hate or recycle key-cards you need.

Edit:
    Partial list for reference (BGr-list):

Combo spells: 24
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Buried Alive
    2 Crop Rotation
    2 Noxious Revival

Creatures: 11
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    2 Dryad Arbor

Restock:
    2/3 Painful Truths

Interactions:
    Wasteland
    Life from the Loam
    Lava Dart

Jul 2013
    Texas

well I pulled off a 4-1 with this build:

Creatures (12)
    3 Young Pyromancer
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    4 Bedlam Reveler

Planeswalkers (1)
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope

Spells (28)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Fatal Push
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Collective Brutality
    2 Diabolic Edict
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    3 Lingering Souls

Lands (19)
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Mountain
    1 Plateau
    1 Scrubland
    3 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Marsh Casualties
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Wear // Tear

W S&S
    W Elves
    L Goblins
    W Eureka Tell
    W Eureka Tell (including therapying myself 4 times in a turn in order to make a reveler big enough to one-shot them when they had a leyline of sanctity out)

Hymn is so stupidly good. I don't find myself ever using Scourge so I think that may become a Hymn. Entomb is clutch though. Maybe I'll board the scourge.

Goblins has been real tough though my opponent had T1 lackey both games in this league.

Jul 2013
    Texas

L UB Shadow
    W UR Delver
    L G Post
    W Miracles
    W Grixis Delver

Bedlam Reveler is nuts.

4 Bedlam Reveler
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    3 Young Pyromancer

2 Fatal Push
    2 Entomb
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Collective Brutality
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    3 Lingering Souls
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Diabolic Edict
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Lightning Bolt

3 Badlands
    2 Mountain
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Plateau

1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Marsh Casualties
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Scald
    1 Engineered Plague
    2 Wear/Tear
    3 Surgical Extraction

It prob isn't any good, but I was thinking about taking a b/r reanimator list and subbing out 12 for 4x Arclight Phoenix, 4x Buried alive, 4x Mausoleum Secrets. I am sure you wind up with a worse B/R reani list. I'll just put this out there in case it can inspire anyone to greatness.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by GraceandSword View Post
    It prob isn't any good, but I was thinking about taking a b/r reanimator list and subbing out 12 for 4x Arclight Phoenix, 4x Buried alive, 4x Mausoleum Secrets. I am sure you wind up with a worse B/R reani list. I'll just put this out there in case it can inspire anyone to greatness.

if you do tinker around with buried alive, it's also fun to have at least 1 narcomoeba and X prized amalgam. this way you can get 7 power on the board for 2B.
    -rob

Jul 2013
    Texas

L 4c loam
    W UB shadow
    L storm
    W D&T
    W miracles

I think this deck is powerful enough to compete, but consistency is a struggle. Storm in particular revolves around drawing some very specific cards in order. And, it’s not horizontally good against the, shall we say, wonkier decks of the format.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It struggles against the random stuff? Yeah storm probably you just need to discard plus get fast clockclock and pray
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Yeah for a while I was hitting leagues where it’s like G post, antiquities war, goblins, elves and I’d be lucky to win a round. But the deck feels really strong vs the Grixis/miracles decks, and with good draws can beat the popular combo decks.

I don’t really know what that adds up to, whether it’s worth playing and hope to hit an expected” run of decks, or shelve because in Legacy you have to expect the unexpected.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Yeah for a while I was hitting leagues where it’s like G post, antiquities war, goblins, elves and I’d be lucky to win a round. But the deck feels really strong vs the Grixis/miracles decks, and with good draws can beat the popular combo decks.

I don’t really know what that adds up to, whether it’s worth playing and hope to hit an expected” run of decks, or shelve because in Legacy you have to expect the unexpected.
    Why did it feel like it struggled against the random stuff? Is itit something that is fixable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

L UB Shadow
    W UR Delver
    L G Post
    W Miracles
    W Grixis Delver

Bedlam Reveler is nuts.

4 Bedlam Reveler
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    3 Young Pyromancer

2 Fatal Push
    2 Entomb
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Collective Brutality
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    3 Lingering Souls
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Diabolic Edict
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Lightning Bolt

3 Badlands
    2 Mountain
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Plateau

1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Scourge of Nel Toth
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Marsh Casualties
    2 Blood Moon
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Scald
    1 Engineered Plague
    2 Wear/Tear
    3 Surgical Extraction
    I think 2-3 Smallpox possibly in the Diabolic Edict slot would be a nice fit. It forces you to discard good stuff you want in the graveyard ie Lingering Souls and Arclight and when you are forced to sac shit Pyromancer creates a token to sac.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Why did it feel like it struggled against the random stuff? Is itit something that is fixable?
    Possibly? It’s basically the go-wide stuff like Goblins, Elves, Sai tokens, or the way over the top stuff like post/Depths.

Blood Moon was ineffective because of map->forest->grip, or it just gets thoughtseized by Depths decks.

I varied my sweeper effects a bit to help vs Goblins/Elves while still having game vs. D&T/pyro/TNN. In particular I think E plague isn’t good, should just go to 2 EE.

So finding some alternatives to the Moon slot and going more EE is the next thing to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2013
    Texas

Update: Cannot beat the card Dark Depths. Moon never seems to work. Not sure what to try next.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Update: Cannot beat the card Dark Depths. Moon never seems to work. Not sure what to try next.
    Alpine Moon's can be a consideration, as it's only one to cast it can fit more easily into you plan of playing 3 spells, and also running out multiples is fine.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Alpine Moon's can be a consideration, as it's only one to cast it can fit more easily into you plan of playing 3 spells, and also running out multiples is fine.
    Yeah, i actually did have one in my sb in the last league and just didn't draw it. My thinking was that it can beat a thoughtseize down but you're right that it also has phoenix synergy. I have to rework the SB for some the harder MUs. Scourge is maindeck or not, i've boarded it in but it's never relevant.

Maybe:

3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Alpine Moon
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Wear/Tear
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Marsh Casualties

Jul 2013
    Texas

I want to try it, but have paused work on this for a while while I try to test viable options for Eternal Weekend.

Unfortunately, as long as Griselbrand is legal in Legacy, it will be very hard for any GY deck to breathe. Too much splash hate without the big payoff of getting GB into play when you beat the hate.

True. If you can't beat em, join em?

Turns out this is also 3 spells off 2 mana sources (turn 1 or 2):
    Dark Ritual, Buried Alive, Reanimate

Arclight Griselbrand

//Mana Sources: 17
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Swamp
    2 Badlands
    1 Scrubland

//Creatures: 10
    4 Griselbrand
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    1 Sire of Insanity
    1 Tidespout Tyrant

//Instants and Sorceries: 34
    4 Unmask
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Gamble
    4 Reanimate
    3 Exhume
    3 Buried Alive

//Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    4 Wear // Tear
    2 Abrade
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    3 Silence

Once you draw extra cards and discard, it's not hard to chain 3 spells again.

Phoenix and Buried Alive make this deck higher variance than BR Reanimator. Gamble smooths some of that out, at the cost of randomly hosing you sometimes. I have no delusions this is better than Reanimator, but it could be fun and decent enough to win games.

What's great is that even if the Griselbrand plan fails (e.g. countermagic on Reanimate, Karakas), Phoenixes will come out swinging. Going Buried Alive for 1 Griselbrand and 2 Phoenix means that a single Surgical, StP, Edict, or Karakas doesn't completely hose you.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

If you're already in red, why don't you run Manamorphose? It's color fixing and a free spell to boot.

Just found this recently and thought I'd share my list. I started out trying to make a Young Pyro port into Legacy and only recently added Arclight Phoenix. I got in some testing against Death and Taxes recently before adding in the Phoenixes... The deck feels fun, but of course I'd need a ton of testing to decide whether it's good. I'm interested to hear if other people are still testing the deck. Also interested in thoughts on Gut Shot as an enabler and for turn 0/1 removal for Delver, Mom, Hierarch, etc.

Mardu Pyromancer:

Maindeck (60)
    3 Young Pyromancer
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    4 Bedlam Reveler
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting
    2 Fatal Push
    3 Gut Shot
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    3 Lingering Souls
    1 Arid Mesa
    3 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Karakas
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Mountain
    1 Plateau
    1 Scrubland
    3 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    3 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Diabolic Edict
    2 Wear // Tear
    2 Zealous Persecution
    2 Bitterblossom

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

I’ve been working on a Grixis version and was thinking about starting a new thread but I stumbled upon this so figured I’d share where it’s going here instead. If you’d prefer to keep this limited to non-blue I’m happy to start another though, just let me know! Blue is so powerful in this kind of deck, it’s hard not to play it. Reading over it you guys have had the same ideas as me, it’s a pretty sweet shell.

The only testing I’ve got in so far has been at my LGS last night where it 4-0d, which while nice doesn’t mean a whole lot I know, I’ll be playing some leagues from tonight. It feels like it’s doing something more powerful than just ‘cute’ though. I was trying some more all in versions on MTGO the day before too, with LED and Infernal Tutors, but I think the real power behind the ‘combo’ (Buried Alive) is that it’s a powerful play off not that many resources. The list started with a bunch of cool Entomb targets as well like Deep Analysis, Lingering Souls, Creeping Chill etc but in the end I think you just want consistency. There were some Bloodghasts too to make the second Buried Alive not dead, but the first is so powerful I think it’s unnecessary. And between Looting and Brainstorm you can find a use for them.

4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope

4 Dark Ritual
    3 Buried Alive
    2 Entomb
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Manamorphose
    2 Lightning Bolt

3 Underground Sea
    2 Badlands
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Bloodstained Mire

Sb
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Vendilion Clique
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Abrade
    1 Null Rod
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    3 Surgical Extraction

Not sure on the Liliana or the Bolts in the main currently. The Liliana was a 4th Buried Alive, but due to diminishing returns and all the cantrips I think 3 is alright, Liliana is another nice Ritual play. The Bolts were Ghasts which seemed bad quite quickly, it finishes games after two attacks with phoenixes from Buried Alive to allow T3 kills in theory, Collective Brutality is another option in that slot but I think the deck wants to maximise its 1cmc spells to triggers phoenixes easier.

Sideboard I’m still really not sure, it’s quite generic except the pile of Derp-Name Nemesis as a way to fight GY hate and surgical etc. Mostly for control and midrange.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Got some more reps in with 3 leagues online, I streamed them too if anyone is interested at twitch.tv/whitefaces. The vods are there, and I’ll probably be streaming more of it next week.

From the list posted above I’ve cut the Manamorphoses and the maindeck Liliana. Morphoses felt pretty bad, they were often sided out and made cantrip/discard sequencing hard. They also don’t really allow for any more busted draws. You’re not making Phoenixes T1 off it, and T2 it’s only going to be relevant for spell count if you have both Looting and Phoenix to discard to it. If you’re going off with a ritual you have the mana for a discard spell/cantrip to be the third. Liliana was over a Buried Alive as mentioned before to help with diminishing returns, but the first Buried is so powerful it’s worth it to play 4 I’ve found. Maximise your decks ceiling and nut draws etc.

Results so far for a combined 15-4

LgS as mentioned in the last post
    2-0 Miracles
    2-0 Infect
    2-1 Slow Depths
    2-1 High Tide

1-2 Uw Merfolk
    2-0 Miracles
    2-1 Grixis Delver
    2-1 UB Leyline Helm
    2-0 Junk Nic Fit

2-0 RUG Food Chain
    2-0 Doomsday
    0-2 BR Reanimator
    0-2 UW Delverblade
    2-1 BR Reanimator

2-1 DNT
    2-1 UW Blade
    2-1 UR Delver
    0-2 Depths
    2-1 UW Rip Helm (opp punted a win though)

4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Buried Alive
    2 Entomb
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Badlands
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Scalding Tarn
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

Sb:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Abrade
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 True-Name Nemesis

The sideboard is still a bit up in the air. While Surgical is nice to have max spell count for Phoenixes and Pyromancers, since we have very little countermagic to protect them from TS/Therapy/Unmask vs Reanimator they could be better as Leylines or Tormod’s Crypts. In the last league played they were Crypts but we didn’t vs Reanimator. Gurmag Angler and Thing in the Ice have also been good suggestions, might try Gurmags over the Entombs in the main and Things over the TNNs in the sideboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Thread Information