Thread: Two questions. Karakas vs StP, and Drown in Sorrow vs. Bridge From Below

Two questions. Karakas vs StP, and Drown in Sorrow vs. Bridge From Below

OK questions about two plays that came up recently. I'll try to describe as simply as I can.

1. I have a legendary creature on the table.
    2. Opponent targets that creature with Swords to Plowshares.
    3. I respond by returning him to my hand with Karakas.

Where does the creature end up?

Next situation:

1. Opponent has two Narcomoeba on the battlefield. He also has two Bridge From Below in his graveyard. So if I kill the Narcomebas, normally four zombie tokens would come into play.
    2. So I cast Drown in Sorrow which gives all creatures -2/-2 until end of turn. I believe that means that not only the Narcomebas are killed, but any zombie tokens that reappear afterwards, correct?

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Re: Two questions. Karakas vs StP, and Drown in Sorrow vs. Bridge From Below

1) your hand
    2) no, only creatures on the battlefield when it resolves are affected. Zombies never die

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    2) no, only creatures on the battlefield when it resolves are affected. Zombies never die
    Really? Even though the -2/-2 is until end of turn?

Quote Originally Posted by John Rohan View Post
    Yeah, the effect is "on" the creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rohan View Post
    Yep, as Scott said, it only applies to creatures in play as it resolves. Since it is a sorcery, it is a one shot deal. Once it resolves, any new creatures that come into play are not affected and thus do not get -2/-2 until EOT. If the effect was done with an enchantment instead (Night of Souls' Betrayal for example), then this effect WOULD affect new creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

There is a bit of potential confusion given cards like Liliana, the Last Hope that do give debuffs that persist past the end of turn.
    You target their Wirewood Symbiote with the +1 and they activate Pendelhaven to save it? Cool, pass the turn; oh look it's dead.

No plain reading of the text leads you to believe that "until your next turn" has it's literal English meaning but "until end of turn" doesn't.

There's no question from me here, just an observation that it's this kind of stuff that gets asked often enough that precipitates changes to Blood Moon and Humility like we saw from the Ixalan rules update.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information