Thread: White Aggro

Feb 2012
    Belo Horizonte/MG, Brazil

White Aggro

So, I want to update my white weenie (which was standart at 8th edition) to a stronger version. It's a non-competitive deck, which plays in a aggro infested meta.
    Here is the current list:
    [spoiler]

4 Tundra Wolves
    4 Deftblade Elite
    4 Auriok Glaivemaster
    4 Auriok Steelshaper
    4 Silver Knight
    4 Leonin Skyhunter

4 Glorious Anthem
    4 Raise the Alarm
    4 Disenchant
    4 Bonesplitter
    2 Wing Shards

18 plains

[/spoiler]

Aggro matchups usually stall and the bigger critters tend to break the equilibrium. So I'm choosing to upgrade. I thought about 2 options:

1) Replace the soldiers with better scaling creatures and add quest pack searching for argentum armor

Benalish Marshal
    Jazal Goldmane
    Odric, Master Tactician
    Knight of the White Orchid
    Quest for the Holy Relic
    1 Argentum Armor
    Swords to Plowshares

2) Angels (Like Angel Stompy, but replacing Chalice and Trinisphere with mana acceleration for budget purposes, allowing a T2/3 big angel):

Sol Ring
    Gold Myr
    Gisela, the Broken Blade
    Angel of invention
    Sublime Archangel
    Shalai, Voice of Plenty

3) Forget about pure aggro white and move on to other color

Ideas?

Mar 2009
    Zurich

Re: White Aggro

Option 1 is probably better that option 2, as the angel deck would play a lot of cards that are not important and place too much importance on single, unprotected critters. A single Swords to Plowshares would be a blowout.

What about Crusade in place of Glorious Anthem?

I would replace the Tundra Wolves with stronger 1-drops, like Mother of Runes, Isamaru, maybe even Dauntless Bodyguard.

You play 8 cards that care about equipment but only 4 bonesplitter, maybe add some Umezawa's Jitte (the best combat equipment)?

The classic White Weenie strategy back in the day was creatures into Armageddon, but maybe this is too "unfun" for your meta?

Feb 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    Option 1 is probably better that option 2, as the angel deck would play a lot of cards that are not important and place too much importance on single, unprotected critters. A single Swords to Plowshares would be a blowout.

What about Crusade in place of Glorious Anthem?

I would replace the Tundra Wolves with stronger 1-drops, like Mother of Runes, Isamaru, maybe even Dauntless Bodyguard.

You play 8 cards that care about equipment but only 4 bonesplitter, maybe add some Umezawa's Jitte (the best combat equipment)?

The classic White Weenie strategy back in the day was creatures into Armageddon, but maybe this is too "unfun" for your meta?
    Actually Armageddon idea is a REALLY fun strategy, I didn't think about it, now I'll buy them.
    The only thing that's not fun is playing storm, because they don't have answers.
    Tundra wolves was just a lack of money and card availability at the time (2004), there are tons of better 1 drops now, especially Student of Warfare.
    About crusade, we have Honor of the Pure now, but I think that creatures like Marshal (less money) and Knight Exemplar put more pressure.

I goldfished both options, and T1 Sol Ring into T2 Gisela seems so strong... But removal really is more distrupting against option 2 without Shalai at board.

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

My white aggro:

4 Judge's Familiar
    4 Whipcorder
    4 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
    4 Magus of the Disk
    4 Duskrider Peregrine
    4 Ivory Giant

4 Beckon Apparition
    4 Darksteel Axe
    2 Darksteel Pendant
    4 Shackles

22 Plains

Card explanations:
    Judge's Familiar ... 1 mana drop, flyer, and the only little way to interact with combo maindeck.
    Whipcorder ... Help vs fatties, or just 2/2 attacker for 2.
    Knight of the Holy Nimbus ... Decent weenie, may survive Magus' reset.
    Magus of the Disk ... The key card. Resets the game, ideally just before suspends start entering the battlefield.
    Duskrider + Giant ... The backup. Excellent vs pre-ban Miracles control, killing planeswalkers etc.
    Beckon Apparition ... Creates 1/1 flyer. Nice vs graveyard strategies (e.g. Dredge, Flashback storm, Reanimation). In Legacy never dead card thanks to opponent's fetchlands.
    Darksteel stuff ... Survive Magus. Pendant generates card quality, Axe helps weenies considerably.
    Shackles ... Work well with Whipcorder and Giant, reusable after Magus.
    My decks from real paper cards:

[Modern] Green Deathtouch
    [Vintage] Suicide Red
    [Casual Legacy] Blood Bats
    [Legacy] White Suspend Aggro Control

Feb 2012

I tested online and decided to build the angel version, it seems faster and stronger, with more control. It's possible to build it with only $50!!
    Current list, at US$100 with Lotus Petal and Gisela:

16x Plains
    4x Remote Farm

4x Angel of Invention
    4x Angel of Sanctions
    4x Cataclysmic Gearhulk
    4x Gisela, the Broken Blade
    4x Gold Myr
    4x Shalai, Voice of Plenty

4x Lotus Petal
    4x Marble Diamond

4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Oblivion Ring

Sideboard

3x Luminarch Ascension
    4x Eidolon of Rhetoric
    4x Grafdigger's Cage
    4x Spirit of the Labyrinth

Cataclysm effect is better than Armageddon for us because is good to regain board control.
    So we have 12 removal and 16 accel cards. T3 Gisela into T4 Gearhulk is a strong line of play.
    You can trade Gisela and Shalai for Windborn Muse + Blinding Angel for more control and less money...
    Possible improvements below $10:

Windborn Muse
    Blinding Angel
    Magus of the Moat
    Resplendent Angel
    Archangel of Tithes
    Chancellor of the Annex

Matchups

Control: Terrible against heavy control, especially counterspells. We tend to cast 1 spell per turn, which is easy to control. I have to play more against UW control to figure this out.

Aggro: Favourable since we can remove the early threats and gain board control from turn 3 onwards. CaGearhulk is groundbreaking in this matchup.

Combo: Unfavorable. We can't interact with fast spells combo pre-board unless we cast Shalai before they combo out, so the sideboard is dedicated to Burn, Dredge and Storm.
    I'm even considering moving Eidolon of Rhetoric to maindeck.

Midrange: We have so many hate cards that this is easy. Angel of Sanctions shines here.

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

I would use Guardian Idol over Marble Diamond or Myr. There are enough other white manasources. Also Flagstones of Trokair would work nicely with Cataclysm effect. Not sure about Petal, it may cause some failures due to inconsistent draws. Why not Ancient Tomb?

[Vintage] Suicide Red

Feb 2012

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

How do you define "budget"? Ancient Tomb is mere uncommon, but no problem with mythic rares? No problem with Petal's prize?

[Vintage] Suicide Red

Sep 2011

There are a lot of strong white casual aggro creatures getting overlooked here. The latest years have added power creep for the weenie game plan.

//1 drops:
    Figure of Destiny
    Student of Warfare
    Dauntless Bodyguard
    Isamaru, Hound of Konda
    Mardu Woe-Reaper
    Kytheon, Hero of Akros
    Skymarcher Aspirant
    Soldier of the Pantheon
    Doomed Traveler

//2 drops:
    Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
    Containment Priest
    Elite Inquisitor
    Knight of Meadowgrain
    Knight of the White Orchid
    Precinct Captain
    Relic Seeker
    Sunhome Stalwart
    Seeker of the Way
    Veteran Armorer
    Armament Master

//3 drops:
    Benalish Marshal
    Resplendent Angel
    Boros Reckoner
    Brightling
    Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    Frontline Medic
    Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
    Mirran Crusader

Also run 4 Honor of the Pure before ever considering Crusade or Glorious Anthem. If 4 Anthems isn't enough, your next choice should be Spear of Heliod (or Intangible Virtue if you switch to token aggro).

If your playgroup allows 4 Sol Ring, then I strongly recommend the Angel Stompy route with 4 Armageddon. Any Angel + mana rock + Geddon = GG basically. If your playgroup finds it unfun to play against, then you may need to cut the geddons for fairer stuff.

Feb 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Dwarf View Post
    How do you define "budget"? Ancient Tomb is mere uncommon, but no problem with mythic rares? No problem with Petal's prize?
    Just to explain this, the Lotus Petals I already had them from my storm deck. I spent about $50 to build this deck, with Gisela being the most expensive at $5 each...
    I had to forget about a lot of good angels because of the price.
    Sol ring didn't make the cut either by not being legacy legal. It's too OP btw.

Thread Information