Thread: Painting in Atlanta: A Tale of Risk, Reward, and Redemption

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Painting in Atlanta: A Tale of Risk, Reward, and Redemption

Yesterday I played at the quarterly event at Giga-Bytes in Marietta, GA. In events past Power was the prize and it attracted up to I think 90 or so was the peak. Unfortunately this event did not have power as a prize and only netted 39 players. I chose to play a deck I've been working towards building, Imperial Painter. Kapn Cook's awesome reports convinced me to try the deck out since it sounded pretty sweet. Obviously he is on Shortcake, but I also really like Blood Moon as a powerful card in the meta so I wanted to stay Mono Red. I also love Goblin Welder and wanted to play a deck with him in it.

4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Goblin Cratermaker
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Magus of the Moon

4 Grindstone
    2 Lotus Petal
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    2 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Pyroblast

12 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Outstanding Furnace

Sideboard:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Abrade
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Sudden Demise
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

A few notes on the list, I like Copter as a filtering option and win condition. Also blocks Delver well and loots for cool Welder shenanigans. I like going heavier on the prison plan by playing Ensnaring Bridge. I was watching Hoogland stream modern Mardu Pyromancer and he made a great point that if you're playing that deck with Moons and Bridges then the reason you are playing them is to lean on them as win conditions all on their own because of their power level. I kind of have taken that to heart with this deck.

I write out my decklist at home the night before because I hate doing it and spreading my deck out at the event in front of everyone. Probably a number of people know what I'm on anyway so I want that kept at a minimum. Get to the event around 10:30 and grab a Cigar City Cubano Espresso Brown Ale while we talk and Brendan sets up the stream.

Round 1: UW Delver Blade
    Game 1 I mulligan to 6 and have a turn 1 Moon hand on the play. Unfortunately it's with a mountain, petal, and SSG. Oh well. I'm not playing this deck to not Moon people. I think he's on Miracles so I'm not even sure if the moon will be good, but you never know. It resolves. He plays fetches 2 turns in a row while I get a welder going. Unfortunately I don't get to resolve any artifacts and I stumble on a second land and he finds an island then a plains and Batterskull cleans it up when I can't find a third land to cast Bridge.
    Game 2 I keep a 1 lander with Welder, Blast, Grindstone and just assume I'll draw more land. Unfortunately I don't have a land in the top 6 cards and I die to a second delver after I blast away the first one.

0-1

Round 2: Punishing Big Zoo
    Game 1 I know what he is on or have an idea at least from watching games. I turn 1 a Moon assuming since he's on punishing he is probably lighter on basics. It resolves and he plays 4 mountains and I get CHandra Ultimate and he scoops em up.
    Game 2 This one goes kind of long. I know I get a chandra down and it has to flame slash a Tireless Tracker before it gets out of hand. Unfortunately he PFires her and I draw 3 grindstones with nothing else really going on. I did Ballista away 2 Nobles but he had a basic to get around moon and Library draws him out of it.
    Game 3 another long one. I believe I turn 1 nothing, turn 2 Abrade his Noble off basic forest. He plays a Grove and passes. I have a turn 3 moon. He then Green Sun's for Teeg to stop Chandra I guess. He also has found a plains. I have a painter and 2 grindstones but he has been keeping his white mana open so I suspect Plow and don't just go for it. I figure if he somehow gets a Pridemage I need to just go for it, but I draw a 6th land and activate Grindstone with 3 mana up and another stone on board in case he plows. He doesn't even have it he's bluffing and I win.

1-1

Round 3: UBr Tezzeret with Leyline Helm
    Here's a link to the stream I was on Camera. Match starts around 1:59. Funny that the replay from the event before was one I commentated.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/325125074

A few thoughts. Game 1 I figure I had better inevitability for the combo and as long as I got welder going I didn't care about his chalices. Also Welding in and out his Mox Diamonds was pretty funny. Game 2 Moon seemed fine as long as he doesn't have a diamond.

2-1

Round 4: UW RIP/Helm/Energy Field Enlightened Tutor Control
    Game 1 I think I made a quick moon, he was cut off white. He cast Energy field to stop my Thopter beats and then he played a back to basics to lock down my tomb and Furnace. I top deck Pyroblast like a champ and use my mountain to blast the B2B which hits the yard also getting rid of Field. I attack. He draws a plains and Detention Sphere's my Moon and fetches a Tundra which was puzzling. I'm now a bit nervous he may wrath me, luckily I top deck another Moon and play it out and he drops a plain and a Humility on me, luckily the 1/1's get there.
    Game 2 I don't remember game 2 that well. I think I play painter into plow, ply second painter with blast back up and win a few turns later with a stone.

3-1
    Cooking nicely after the round 1 loss.

Round 5: Lands
    I'm pretty sure this is basically a win and draw in so I'm a bit nervous.
    Game 1 I lead on Tomb into Painter. He goes Exploration into 2 lands. I play Recruiter and grab Magus of the Moon. Now at this point in the game I am looking at a hand of another mountain, a Magus, a pyroblast, an Ensnaring Bridge. My hand is probably close to unbeatable. He plays a diamond and a port and passes. Doesn't port which leads me to believe he has crop rotation so he needs the mana. I top deck City of Traitors. Now the correct line is either to play the mountain and play Magus, in response he would rotate for stage, I let him copy and blast the Stage with the trigger on the stack. Either that or simply cast a Bridge that he more than likely can't beat. Like the complete fucking Simian that I am, I play City of traitors, cast Magus of the Moon with Ancient Tomb up. He rotates and makes lage and I stare at my uncastable pyroblast wondering how quickly I can run to 75 and jump in front of a Semi.
    Game 2 I make a quick moon and grindstone. I overload his KGrips by just putting combo pieces on the board and he never gets to actually kill the moon.
    Game 3 I am on the draw and he gets a forest. I play Great Furnace and Pass. My hand isn't great. He plays Grove and Passes. I draw moon, play tomb and moon. He never casts a spell for some reason and I win a few turns later. Not sure what he kept his hand for, but it couldn't beat a moon. Maybe he had a PFire and figured he could answer Magus if I play it?

4-1

Round 6: Death and Taxes
    Dr. Parente and I draw and I go commentate on the Goblins vs Lands match that is a win and in.

4-1-1

Top 8! Great run to get there after that round 1 loss.

Top 8: BR Reanimator
    Woof. What a ruff pairing.
    Game 1: He mulls to 6 and makes a turn 1 Griselbrand + Tidespout Tyrant. I draw a 4th Pyroblast with only 2 City of Traitors in hand as mana. I had an Ensnraing Bridge and figured it was my only real shot of winning on the draw.
    Game 2 I keep a no lander with 3 Tormod's Crypt, Smuggler's Copter, Revoker, and something else. Fuck it. I probably should've mulled, but I figured the crypts would buy me a lot of time. Unfortunately He wear Teared one, I surgical Wear/Tear thinking maybe he can't answer the other 2 then. Unfortunately he has Abrade for one, and then forces me to use the last one and then he kills me. My bad for not knowing what BR would have to bring in out of the board.

Got $100 for my trouble which was cool. Overall I loved the deck. It was a blast to play and I'm hoping that this low turnout was an anomaly because I would hate that legacy dies locally right as I find a deck I can learn to play properly. Feel free to ask any questions and thanks for reading!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Painting in Atlanta: A Tale of Risk, Reward, and Redemption

Very nice report, thanks! What changes are you planning to make? If you want to comment on it.

Edit: never mind, you commented on that already in the painter thread.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Nice work, glad to see the painter love growing. I definitely enjoyed the stream commentating in the replay. #FreeNedleeds #MakeTheSourceToxicAgain

I'm also starting to wonder if Pia and Kirin should be somewhere in the 75 for any version with red. Seems like the Copter nut
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Here's the video on youtube, might be the only one with good audio of the day.
    https://youtu.be/gNIMoD7vccc
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post

Nice work, glad to see the painter love growing. I definitely enjoyed the stream commentating in the replay. #FreeNedleeds #MakeTheSourceToxicAgain

I'm also starting to wonder if Pia and Kirin should be somewhere in the 75 for any version with red. Seems like the Copter nut
    I was thinking about that last night. I think I want them as a 1 of. I've also been toying with Faithless Looting and Daretti and going a bit harder on the welder plan, but with a bunch of tiny things I'm not sure the strategy is worth it unless I'm Welding in like Myr Battlespheres or something as well as the combo.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Always wanted to go hard on Welder with 4x Looting & Gamble.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    Always wanted to go hard on Welder with 4x Looting & Gamble.
    I may brew up a list. I think it probably wants 4 Cavern though and fuck I'm not buying those right now

I'm rocking four Welder at Eternal Weekend. If that card goes unchecked within the confines of a deck that can truly abuse it, it can do a serious amount of damage in a hurry.

Thread Information