Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Todd Stevens Accusations

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Todd Stevens Accusations

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I would have:
    a) Read the article before I started a thread about it.
    b) Not made a comment about how it's a possibly it may be a false flag affair as that's happened in the past without reading into it.

Sure, the evidence is certainly not air tight, but we have:
    Todd said he was going to the latest SCG, he did not show.
    Todd posts once a week on SCG almost like clockwork. His last article was 13 days ago.
    A respected site was willing to risk its reputation publishing this, no one has come out to refute them.
    BBD, who you would expect to have some access to SCG insiders all but confirmed it.
    His team cut him lose.
    SCG officially cut him lose.
    He stepped away from his podcast.
    He has no come out to defend himself in any way.

I would have looked at that before saying "Hey, shit like this has been false in the past, could be he's in the right." At the least I would have read the article.
    Fair
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

OP edited.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Seems like he pissed somebody off given that there a numerous reports of misconduct over a long time, and yet nobody did anything beforehand.

Moral panics are a great time to settle grudges; just ask Abigail Williams or Tailgunner Joe.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Seems like he pissed somebody off given that there a numerous reports of misconduct over a long time, and yet nobody did anything beforehand.

Moral panics are a great time to settle grudges; just ask Abigail Williams or Tailgunner Joe.
    At some point, especially if you do it often enough, you will harass someone who decides to actually do something about it.

Holding people accountable for their behavior isn't a "moral panic." There might be a panic if you are someone who can't control themselves. In that case, I'd say yeah, it's time for you to panic.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    At some point, especially if you do it often enough, you will harass someone who decides to actually do something about it.

Holding people accountable for their behavior isn't a "moral panic." There might be a panic if you are someone who can't control themselves. In that case, I'd say yeah, it's time for you to panic.
    I think this is the opposite of a moral panic; this is moral accountability. The panic happened right around when Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby were accused of assault. We're experiencing the follow-through of the 'MeToo' movement, which is a long overdue demand for accountability.
    Brainstorm Realist

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I think this is the opposite of a moral panic; this is moral accountability. The panic happened right around when Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby were accused of assault. We're experiencing the follow-through of the 'MeToo' movement, which is a long overdue demand for accountability.
    It's just the historical continuance of general human nature toward anything framed as "liberal."

This usual fist shaking is nothing new:

Remember when it was OK to own human beings as property? Damn liberals.
    Remember when it was OK to beat your own wife? Damn liberals.
    Remember when it was OK to rape your own wife? Damn liberals.
    Remember when it was OK that women didn't have any right to vote? Damn liberals.
    Remember when it was OK that women didn't have any right to decide who she wanted to marry? Damn liberals.

Now you tell me that it is not OK for men to harass women, sexually or otherwise. Damn liberals.

It's actually something of a comedy at this point, but not the actually funny kind. That isn't to say that "liberalism" can't go to far. But it's to imagine that holding men to a standard higher than what it was before in relationship toward their conduct with women, considering how low the standard was before? Stretches disbelief beyond any sort of reason I can imagine.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I'm pretty shocked by this, but only because I assumed he is gay.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

It's actually something of a comedy at this point, but not the actually funny kind. That isn't to say that "liberalism" can't go to far. But it's to imagine that holding men to a standard higher than what it was before in relationship toward their conduct with women, considering how low the standard was before? Stretches disbelief beyond any sort of reason I can imagine.
    Won't somebody think of the children! Specifically in the sense of how useful they could be in the labor force. Tiny bodies work well to crawl into mines and boilers and chimneys and the like. It's a damn shame we let that one go. Jonathan Swift was onto something.

This whole thing seems like a non-story. Unless there's some refutation or any followup to counter the facts as they have been presented, this is just "man climbs over zoo fence into lion exhibit and gets eaten by lion". Unless the lion gets wire transferred a sum suspiciously half of the life insurance policy, then that's spicy.

But yeah beyond anything new it's just more BREAKING NEWS: ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES. I'll pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It's just the historical continuance of general human nature toward anything framed as "liberal."

This usual fist shaking is nothing new:

Remember when it was OK to own human beings as property? Damn liberals.
    Remember when it was OK to beat your own wife? Damn liberals.
    Remember when it was OK to rape your own wife? Damn liberals.
    Remember when it was OK that women didn't have any right to vote? Damn liberals.
    Remember when it was OK that women didn't have any right to decide who she wanted to marry? Damn liberals.

Now you tell me that it is not OK for men to harass women, sexually or otherwise. Damn liberals.

I agree 100%. The new 'attack' on progressives/liberals is to call them 'sjw's' (social justice warriors) when people think they have gone "too far". People can call me anything they want, I really don't care, but if demanding respectful behavior gives me a seemingly derogatory label, bring it on.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    But yeah beyond anything new it's just more BREAKING NEWS: ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES. I'll pass.
    Yes, this is the story in a nutshell. It's just unfortunate that the MtG community pays part of the price for his actions. Honestly, if SCG didn't fire him I would seriously consider boycotting them.
    Brainstorm Realist

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I'm pretty shocked by this, but only because I assumed he is gay.
    This might be quote of the year and is most certainly signature material, but I cannot in good conscious add it to mine.

Won't somebody think of the children! Specifically in the sense of how useful they could be in the labor force. Tiny bodies work well to crawl into mines and boilers and chimneys and the like. It's a damn shame we let that one go. Jonathan Swift was onto something.
    Good point. All my kids do is loaf around and play Fortnite, not to mention eat all our food non-stop. Working would definitely be better. Damn liberals.

This whole thing seems like a non-story. Unless there's some refutation or any followup to counter the facts as they have been presented, this is just "man climbs over zoo fence into lion exhibit and gets eaten by lion". Unless the lion gets wire transferred a sum suspiciously half of the life insurance policy, then that's spicy.

It's actually a fun epistemological paradox people present in saying we should not believe accusations without iron-clad proof. In that, they state that we cannot know for certain if the accused thing happened, while simultaneously asserting that we can be certain of what will happen in the future. That's a fantastic paradoxical situation where the future is actually more certain than the past.

It's also fun that they imagine that women systematically hate men and want to destroy them. As if it wasn't the case that none of us would be born if women didn't systematically, as a mater of fact, like men. They don't particularly like when men act like assholes though. I don't either, by the way. Interestingly enough I also don't like when women are assholes to men. There is no doubt that some women don't like men and look to harm them. And some men don't like women and look to harm them. But in the grand scheme of things, we are here today because this is generally false.

Now, I do think that there is something of a "cultural issue" at hand regarding how we systematically view both things termed "masculine" and things "feminine" in society. However, the issue of sexual harassment really is not one of those. Although there is no doubt that as a society we could do better to more clearly delineate what is, say, acceptable and reasonable "flirtatious" behavior and what is outright sexual harassment, but it is often a case of being able to clearly know it when you see it.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Good point. All my kids do is loaf around and play Fortnite, not to mention eat all our food non-stop. Working would definitely be better. Damn liberals.
    From speaking to boomers I have found that the solution to this problem is whoopings.

Pretty sure the real lesson is that you shouldn't trust people who get their aesthetic from terrible tv shows on USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Well yeah, that falls under the umbrella of pissing someone off.

I just find it unbelievable, given what the information presented, that SCG was harboring some kind of serial sex predator (who, according to Twatter, was an open secret); like it or not, they're on the ball about this stuff.

My guess is that this guy's offenses aren't some salacious shit (probably awkward passes at women, likely while drunk), and somebody just decided to build a case against him because nerds are petty, power-tripping losers that deserved to be stuffed in lockers.

But who knows, he could be a fucking rapist scumbag. Shocking that a site called "Hipsters of the Coast" did some shoddy work.

Metoo has morphed into a textbook moral panic. It went from a specific critique of how certain power structures (and powerful people) enabled abuse and became a general airing of grievances to anything regarding sexual misconduct with all the media hysterics and "with us or against us" bullshit that follows. From a sociological standpoint, it's not much different than the Red Scare, War on Drugs, violence in TV/games, or any other recent moral panics in the US.

You might not like the tone of the term, but it fits.

This whole thing seems pretty pointless, nobody knows or will know anything outside of vague insinuations, so there is essentially nothing to discuss, but congratulations to whoever leaked it for creating a bunch of drama.

Nov 2007
    Finland

I don't like the idea that you naysayers are allowed to roam in tournaments without any idea what is proper conduct and what isn't.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Metoo has morphed into a textbook moral panic. It went from a specific critique of how certain power structures (and powerful people) enabled abuse and became a general airing of grievances to anything regarding sexual misconduct with all the media hysterics and "with us or against us" bullshit that follows. From a sociological standpoint, it's not much different than the Red Scare, War on Drugs, violence in TV/games, or any other recent moral panics in the US.

So the criteria for a "moral panic" is media sensationalism and tendency for people to radicalize? If that is the case, there is almost nothing now-a-days that does not qualify. Which is to say, if every issue is given these airs, then none of them are really a moral panic. In fact, you even labeling it as such is buying into the exact media bullshit you point out to be bullshit.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

The difference is that the assault and harassment allegations are real. The red scare, war on drugs, violence in games/tv...all of that has been thoroughly debunked. Assault and harassment allegations are real and ongoing, at an alarmingly consistent rate. You're using equivocation, and it's flat out wrong.

Hell, look at the 80's with the 'satanic panic', of which MtG was caught up in. People were going to become Satanists, killing goats and small children, listening to heavy metal, and doing secret black rites. In a way, they were right, heavy metal has become my religion. But seriously, I haven't sacrificed a goat in like 2 weeks.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    The difference is that the assault and harassment allegations are real. The red scare, war on drugs, violence in games/tv...all of that has been thoroughly debunked. Assault and harassment allegations are real and ongoing, at an alarmingly consistent rate. You're using equivocation, and it's flat out wrong.

Hell, look at the 80's with the 'satanic panic', of which MtG was caught up in. People were going to become Satanists, killing goats and small children, listening to heavy metal, and doing secret black rites. In a way, they were right, heavy metal has become my religion. But seriously, I haven't sacrificed a goat in like 2 weeks.
    I think this thread just died when a shamed, tie-wearing Magic: the Gathering player named Todd Stevens got tied in to Satanists, goats and the war on drugs in the 1980s.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Bowtie-wearing Magic: the Gathering player. The dude is definitely a satanic drug goat.

I'm all morally panicked over here!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    I think this thread just died when a shamed, tie-wearing Magic: the Gathering player named Todd Stevens got tied in to Satanists, goats and the war on drugs in the 1980s.
    Well, the thread was really never alive, but it reached living death status when someone implied that reporting sexual harassment is likely to actually be "grudge settling" and that advocating for moral accountability is akin to inciting moral panic.

Thread Information