Thread: Ub Mill

Threaded View

Ub Mill

Disclaimer: I have looked here and must be using the search function wrong as I didn't find anything even trying to specifically play this. I found similar lists under Modern, but nothing here, yet this is reliably a turn 4 or 5 win, with a reasonable counter package. Curious to play it more, especially live, and see how it goes. I would welcome constructive criticism. I have wins with fraying sanity tricks, as well as outright grindy 7-turn mill wins utilizing counters.

Okay, I know mill is a hard win condition to meet with all the sexy graveyard stuff getting played right now. Playing around with this here at home, it matches decently against my Ur Painter, not so great but still sees some wins against my Bg Eva Green-ish deck, and houses my tabernacle-less variation of Combo Elves. Interested to hear some thoughts on the playability; I pack a few extra Tormod's Crypts and so far they have come into play when I need them (even using one to remove the graveyard of the Ur Painter deck, preventing a next-turn win from Welder shenanigans).

I have considered but not yet tinkered with the following ideas:

- Adding in Thoughtseizes and/or IOK for some early hand disruption
    - Removing the JTMSs for additional counters/control options; specifically, I have thought about trying to utilize a counterbalance package, removing the JTMSs, Counterspells and the Visions of Beyond for 4 Counterbalance and 4 Ponder. I do like Visions as a hand-refilled, especially after your first four turns or so
    - I chose Ghost Quarter over Field of Ruins because of the wider range of lands I can destroy; I understand my opponent won't be forced to search their library, so I can slap them with an Archive Trap, but I will take a simple Strip Mine on their lands any day.

4 Fraying Sanity
    4 Archive Trap
    4 Mind Funeral
    4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
    4 Hedron Crab

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Daze
    2 Counterspell
    4 Visions of Beyond

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

2 Tormod's Crypt

4 Ghost Quarter
    4 Watery Grave
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    4 Island

Access to black allows for fun sideboard options like surgical extraction and other card-specific hate, as well as all of the hand disruption stuff that I also enjoy so much.
    Last edited by nexus blue; 10-27-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Thread Information