Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New format 'Premodern' if you have not heard about it!!

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Re: New format 'Premodern' if you have not heard about it!!

It's quite similar to the Ancient format. Do we need yet another format?

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    It's quite similar to the Ancient format. Do we need yet another format?
    Never heard of that but Premodern is currently gaining more players. There was a tourney recently around 30 players

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Kinda reminds me of the old Extended, except without Duals.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Kinda reminds me of the old Extended, except without Duals.
    Yeah nostalgic extended era without the duals and FOWs. Lots of viable old type 2 decks as well and extended

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I doubt it is a coincidence that this topic was started right after another was posted in the "Casual section" here:

Quote Originally Posted by merfolkotpt View Post
    Hello all,

I don't know if this news has gotten over here yet, but Middle School is a new format that we have been developing for the past 1.5 years or so in our play group and that eternal central has decided to make official!
    EC: Middle School

It covers a similar group of sets to premodern, but some slight differences (middle school includes portal, starter, and allows the promo sets like the world championships decks, the PT decks, book promos, and anthologies in addition to the formally standard legal "normal" sets). It is similar to but not identical to old versions of extended, and legacy.

If you have any interest or questions feel free to post here. I know there is going to be a presence at EW this year.
    Here are the differences in the two Banned lists, along with the EC format allowing the Portal sets (which I kind of don't agree with them on).

Middle School bans:
    Dark Ritual
    Imperial Seal
    Lion’s Eye Diamond
    Tinker
    Yawgmoth’s Bargain

Premodern bans:
    Earthcraft
    Entomb
    Force of Will
    Frantic Search
    Grim Monolith
    Mystical Tutor
    Necropotence
    Show and Tell
    Tendrils of Agony
    Time Spiral
    Worldgorger Dragon
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I doubt it is a coincidence that this topic was started right after another was posted in the "Casual section" here:

Here are the differences in the two Banned lists, along with the EC format allowing the Portal sets (which I kind of don't agree with them on).

Middle School bans:
    Dark Ritual
    Imperial Seal
    Lion’s Eye Diamond
    Tinker
    Yawgmoth’s Bargain

Premodern bans:
    Earthcraft
    Entomb
    Force of Will
    Frantic Search
    Grim Monolith
    Mystical Tutor
    Necropotence
    Show and Tell
    Tendrils of Agony
    Time Spiral
    Worldgorger Dragon
    I came across Premodern after reading the article about 'Middle school' from themanadrain.com link. Actually i like them both. However i prefer to have one major format instead of two smaller ones. I have cross posted on reddit.com/mtglegacy and gotten quite a few replies there.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MTGLegacy/c...t_heard_about/

In the end i do not mind either Premodern or Middle School. Was hoping it to garner more players as Vintage and Legacy has gotten very stale.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by covetousrat View Post
    In the end i do not mind either Premodern or Middle School. Was hoping it to garner more players as Vintage and Legacy has gotten very stale.
    My apologizes, didn't mean to have my post seem accusatory. Just letting people know that there are "competing" ideas for formats of this nature, is all I was trying to do. Frankly, I like EC's more, mainly because Force is legal, even if I don't like that the Portal sets are legal. Plus, Necropotence!

I'm making a new format called "Kitchen table" where everything is legal and everyone shows up with two decks that can only share basic lands and before each event players vote out the decks they don't like. Also spending more than 10 bucks on a card is frowned upon you tryhard.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Meh... All this stuff reminds me of Tiny Leaders and Frontier. Old School is unique because it's players are crazy and like having a sandbox with a bouncer at the entrance checking wallets.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Meh... All this stuff reminds me of Tiny Leaders and Frontier. Old School is unique because it's players are crazy and like having a sandbox with a bouncer at the entrance checking wallets.
    Well, the biggest difference of course is the question of, "who wants this?"

So, where Tiny Leaders and Frontier seem to offer little of what people generally want, the "nostalgia formats" seem to offer something that straight casual and current competitive formats do not.

I think this format has a chance to strive because of the nostalgia factor. But I really wonder how long a closed format can really be interesting.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    I think this format has a chance to strive because of the nostalgia factor. But I really wonder how long a closed format can really be interesting.
    Well, Old School is as closed as can be, but people still seem to enjoy it. I think the Nostalgia factor, combined with the "relative" unpredictable nature of the formats as they are somewhat high variance, means that it probably has a good bit of replay value. Not only that, but clever use of the Banned list can really shake the meta-game up without necessarily breaking the format in doing so.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I really wonder how long a closed format can really be interesting.
    This.

Meta-shifting through ban-list management has proven unpopular (see Modern from conception through Eldrazi).

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, Old School is as closed as can be, but people still seem to enjoy it. I think the Nostalgia factor, combined with the "relative" unpredictable nature of the formats as they are somewhat high variance, means that it probably has a good bit of replay value. Not only that, but clever use of the Banned list can really shake the meta-game up without necessarily breaking the format in doing so.
    I know that Old School is popular right now but the question is will it also be in 1, 2 or 5 years? I personaly doubt that but time will tell. I personaly have not played it so take that opinion is mainly gut feeling. You have to remember that the nostalgia facot in 93/94 is insanly high. I mean for msot people those are the cooles card in magic. I am not sure it will be the same for the rest of premodern sets.

There is not much ban management in 93/94 right? I could see it for premodern though.

I'm making a new format called "Percentage" it's an exclusive format for only the most skilled players where only cards that cost over $100 are allowed. Players end up with shitty decks using niche staples off the reserve list and moxen. The appeal is whatever people see in 93/94.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I know that Old School is popular right now but the question is will it also be in 1, 2 or 5 years? I personaly doubt that but time will tell. I personaly have not played it so take that opinion is mainly gut feeling. You have to remember that the nostalgia facot in 93/94 is insanly high. I mean for msot people those are the cooles card in magic. I am not sure it will be the same for the rest of premodern sets.

There is not much ban management in 93/94 right? I could see it for premodern though.
    I don't know. Maybe? Somewhat? Probably? I mean we can't really tell. 5 years ago did we think anyone would still be playing Vintage? Maybe. But they still do.

I think there are a number of people that started Magic too late to really own Power, so Old School is largely off the table, but did play Extended in the old days. How numerous are those people? I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I'm making a new format called "Percentage" it's an exclusive format for only the most skilled players where only cards that cost over $100 are allowed. Players end up with shitty decks using niche staples off the reserve list and moxen. The appeal is whatever people see in 93/94.
    I like it. But only if we play in super-upscale locations, wearing tuxedos.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

But I really wonder how long a closed format can really be interesting.
    This is a great point but honestly if it doesn't grow big enough to become sanctioned I'll probably never have the chance to play it in person. That's the threshold you have to hit.

bruizar

format fragmentation maeks the community fall apart.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I know that Old School is popular right now but the question is will it also be in 1, 2 or 5 years? I personaly doubt that but time will tell.
    The format is the most stupid one in MTG history simply because it's a solved one without any chance for a new card influx or metagame change other than those resulting by hypothetical bannings. It's a pure nostalia trip for people with too much money,
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information