Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New format 'Premodern' if you have not heard about it!!

Re: New format 'Premodern' if you have not heard about it!!

I have to say, Premodern is actually pretty fun. I know a lot of folks don't like the notion of a 'closed format', but it's worth trying out, as most of the cards not reserved are pretty cheap and the banlist makes the format feel rather fresh compared to legacy (no FoW and BS is really something...). Certainly worth a shot if you're looking for something a little different.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

what about the premature format, where the game ends after 5 turns?
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

i want a format where you can only play one artist but relentless rats, rat colony and shadowborn apostle are the only banned cards,
    while basic lands can be from any artist...

i've never researched how feasible this format is, but considering how often stuff gets printed or reprinted, it's possible to get new "art" at any time.
    maybe research which artists are still doing magic cards to make a deck?

You should give premodern a try, it's a nice refreshing casual format. Nice looking and full of beautiful old powerhouses. Ban list is pretty reasonable too. I hope to see some sidevents at major tournaments

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    i want a format where you can only play one artist but relentless rats, rat colony and shadowborn apostle are the only banned cards,
    while basic lands can be from any artist...

i've never researched how feasible this format is, but considering how often stuff gets printed or reprinted, it's possible to get new "art" at any time.
    maybe research which artists are still doing magic cards to make a deck?
    There is already a format, Vintage Artist Constructed, but in that format it includes Basic and Non Basic Lands needing to also be the same artist.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    There is already a format, Vintage Artist Constructed, but in that format it includes Basic and Non Basic Lands needing to also be the same artist.
    hot damn! i've been wanting this for at least a decade. gotta do some research to find those lands!

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I think theres some unglued cards that hate on artists.
    -rob

I have an idea for a new format: It's basically 93/94 but you can keep the cards in the binder and people skip the step of playing and just vote on whose collection is the least accessible.

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

I have a new idea for a format, it is where you see other people having fun, and then you complain about it.

In all honesty, I don't like old school, but part of that is because my nostalgia kicks in around the pre-modern/middle school era. The formats seem fun, pretty cheap, and worth my time. If it doesn't seem like your thing, by all means, play legacy, or standard, or pauper or modern.
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I have an idea for a new format: It's basically 93/94 but you can keep the cards in the binder and people skip the step of playing and just vote on whose collection is the least accessible.
    I like this one too, because I don't have time to play much any more, so I think I can make a good run at a top 8 here.

Quote Originally Posted by merfolkotpt View Post
    I have a new idea for a format, it is where you see other people having fun, and then you complain about it.
    So, we call this format MTGTheSource.com, right?

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by merfolkotpt View Post
    So Modern?

Dec 2011
    Seattle

Instead of another almost-but-not-exactly eternal format with an arbitrary cutoff point that's almost-but-not-exactly Modern's, I propose a format I like to call "Unreserved": it's Legacy minus any of the cards on the Reserved List.

(I don't claim this as a unique invention of mine, surely this has already been thought of by others.)

This is probably my favorite format now ahead of Vintage/ Legacy. Feels so different and interactive. Most of all its nostalgic and cheap format.

It seems a bit odd for a format called "Premodern" to skip over the earliest sets (it starts at 4th Edition/Ice Age), but maybe it's to skip over the really expensive stuff.

Some of the bans on this don't make sense to me, though. Without Progenitus, Emrakul, Griselbrand, and Omniscience in the format, why is Show and Tell banned? Also, why is Brainstorm banned? While I'm of the opinion Legacy would be getter off without it, the "cantrip cartel" isn't as strong as in this format (no Ponder or Preordain), and while the fetchland+Brainstorm combo is still around, it's weakened due to the lack of fetchable dual lands, plus the fact you only get 5 fetchlands.

What's the combo that got Flash banned? I know Flash-Hulk is crazy, but Protean Hulk isn't legal. Is there an older combo with it I'm unaware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    It seems a bit odd for a format called "Premodern" to skip over the earliest sets (it starts at 4th Edition/Ice Age), but maybe it's to skip over the really expensive stuff.

Some of the bans on this don't make sense to me, though. Without Progenitus, Emrakul, Griselbrand, and Omniscience in the format, why is Show and Tell banned? Also, why is Brainstorm banned? While I'm of the opinion Legacy would be getter off without it, the "cantrip cartel" isn't as strong as in this format (no Ponder or Preordain), and while the fetchland+Brainstorm combo is still around, it's weakened due to the lack of fetchable dual lands, plus the fact you only get 5 fetchlands.

What's the combo that got Flash banned? I know Flash-Hulk is crazy, but Protean Hulk isn't legal. Is there an older combo with it I'm unaware of?
    Flash + Academy Rector + Bargain

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    It's not just that, it's largely made to "simulate" what was once Extended. Which, really, it's just a sort of unified Extended, where nothing actually rotated out.

I like it. But only if we play in super-upscale locations, wearing tuxedos.
    Question about the tuxedo, do they have to bespoke, or can they be off the rack?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Question about the tuxedo, do they have to bespoke, or can they be off the rack?
    Depends. Do you have Alpha/Beta power?

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    If you have to ask, you probably didn't get the super secret invite in the first place.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Built B/G Rock because of Spiritmonger, Terravore, and Pernicious Deed. Sweet af.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Thread Information