Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

[UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

Since the whole Mythic RtRtR Edition from Hasbro's Toy Shop was a clusterfuck, WotC apparently send out this apology letter and pack that has one of 40 foil promos with extended art:

The letter

Current list of known cards with pictures

There's speculation that this "preview" refers to a Masters set for December that has been rumored for a while now, but that part is pretty vague.

Edit: Summary on MTGGoldfish with a spoiler gallery

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

Thank god they included Balefire Dragon. It looks like they did not use the shitty FtV foiling style this time... That's a plus. I do wish they reused the Liliana art for Demonic Tutor though.

I'll be honest, looking at that gallery on MTGGoldfish, they look like a bunch of poorly done alters or fakes.

It's just kind of sad that they're official and look that bad and incoherent with each other. Like, the Liliana planeswalker looks like the regular card, and some of them look like they're from different Expeditions/Inventions/Invocation sets. Just no commonality to the art or forms.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I do wish they reused the Liliana art for Demonic Tutor though.
    I'm not a fan of the Liliana Demonic Tutor art. However, I love this one:

Going on a treasure hunt with your demon bro. What's not to love?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    What's not to love?
    The lack of tutalage?

Even the flavor text is good. But I want it shiny for a deck that uses Liliana and The Chain Veil. To each his own I guess...

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Extended Art: Check
    Centered and minimal Rules Text: Check
    Art that's arguably good: Check
    No FTV foiling process: Check
    Cards players actually want: Check

It's like they actually listened to the players for once.

Now what are the chances these are not insanly difficult to aquire? Nadda.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    Extended Art: Check
    Centered and minimal Rules Text: Check
    Art that's arguably good: Check
    No FTV foiling process: Check
    Cards players actually want: Check

It's like they actually listened to the players for once.
    The Source: "still not good enough"
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

I thought some were cool.

where can we see the rarity looks like they are all mythics?

ok: it is a one off of each in the pack thanks I thought was like eternal reedition.

looks like the pack will be pretty expensive with all these spoilers right 500 $ at least ?

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Wow, the Demonic Tutor artwork is really quite something - I hope we're also going to see it in a non-Foil version of the card.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Those Dark Depths and Bitterblossoms are HOT.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

So apparently Demonic Tutor, Urborg, Platinum Emperion and Temporal Manipulation are the only cards with centered text?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Wizards official announcement.

$14 packs, if you want a whole box with teh topper. Or 35 for just a 3 pack blister (no topper of course).

What I find more interesting is this statement: "Let's start with the big news—yes, we're shelving the Masters series for the foreseeable future. We are instead focusing on other products that will also include reprints. We'll talk more about those when the time comes, but we're sending off the Masters product line for the time being with this premium take on the Masters series, Ultimate Masters."

I kind of hope this means they'll put better reprints in new Commander products honestly.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I kind of hope this means they'll put better reprints in new Commander products honestly.
    It just means they stumbled upon a good product then beat it to death as usual.

Modern Masters was a success so they printed it until nobody wanted it anymore.
    Commander sets were a success so they got printed until nobody wanted them anymore.

Depending on how this next set goes, I wouldn't be surprised to hear "yes, we're shelving the Ravnica series for the foreseeable future. Sorry for fans hoping for Return to Return to Return to Ravnica"
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Well, those look a lot better than the images that were on MTGGoldfish. And only like 3 or 4 mythics are completely unplayable trash? Guess that's a solid improvement over normal, still not sure why Balefire Dragon, Lord of Extinction, Platinum Emperion and Mikaues the Unhallowed are in $15 packs though. Talk about a bad beat.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    It just means they stumbled upon a good product then beat it to death as usual.

Modern Masters was a success so they printed it until nobody wanted it anymore.
    Commander sets were a success so they got printed until nobody wanted them anymore.
    Well, I do agree with you in general that certain things are often overdone. But, for example, try finding the 2016 Commander decks now. They are very, very expensive. People wanted those and still do. I don't think it's just because it was two years ago either. Rather, there are just better cards in it (both new and reprinted), compared to the far less interesting decks last year. I think people do want Commander decks still, they just don't want crappy ones.

The Masters sets were really suffering for them continuing to put less perceived value into the packs, but continuing to limit supply and raise the price. At some point, the "average consumer" just doesn't see much of a point in opening boxes. I don't think it was a case of people not wanting Master's sets, they just didn't want overpriced, not good Masters sets.

Ravnica though? Yeah, way over done.

Less reprints of expensive cards, that's exactly what the game needs right now. That is, aside from another price increase of course. 14$ for a Balefire Dragon seems about right.

This 'announcement' is highly outrageous. They are not even providing one reason why they're cancelling the masters series. Also, his response to possible complaints about the price increase is also amusing which basically sums up to "You disagree with it, well too bad". Overall it seems like they were pressured by secondary market players with this decision because there have always been influential circles that were very upset about the master series and its reprints.

One thing I've always wanted to see is another Time Spiral-esque set ("Timeshifted") where they use the old frame, old art and old foiling on random Eternal cards that never got to be foiled.

I'm honestly so tired of seeing the same cards reprinted over and over again.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    One thing I've always wanted to see is another Time Spiral-esque set ("Timeshifted") where they use the old frame, old art and old foiling on random Eternal cards that never got to be foiled.

I'm honestly so tired of seeing the same cards reprinted over and over again.
    Time Spiral was fantastic. But I think it doesn't fit with that their view of "modern Magic" is anymore, unfortunately.

I really don't care for reprint sets either, because I already own a shit load of cards, so most "Masters" sets are 99% cards I already own or don't care about at all. I think it would be much nicer if they rolled reprints into other products that are more interesting though.

This new "Box Topper" stuff, well, I don't like the way the cards look without a border, except the Liliana, because the Planewalker boarder sucks anyway and it looks better not being there. I do like the white type line though, but it's not enough to save them, really and certainly not enough to justify the price.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    The Masters sets were really suffering for them continuing to put less perceived value into the packs, but continuing to limit supply and raise the price. At some point, the "average consumer" just doesn't see much of a point in opening boxes. I don't think it was a case of people not wanting Master's sets, they just didn't want overpriced, not good Masters sets.
    This appears to be related to their insistence that Masters sets be draftable... Another issue was that they refused to allow a single card to have a mechanic, it had to be a theme within the set.

Thread Information