Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    His immediate response was something along the lines of "oh yeah I hate the reserved list, not being able to print functional thunder-spirit-equivalents is really annoying".
    I find it amazing that they still haven't figured out a way to reprint a Thunder Spirit that is functionally different based on +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters. E.g.:

Not-Thunder Spirit
    Creature - Other creature type than Spirit
    Not-Thunder Spirit enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
    Flying, first strike
    0/0

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I find it amazing that they still haven't figured out a way to reprint a Thunder Spirit that is functionally different based on +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters. E.g.:

Not-Thunder Spirit
    Creature - Other creature type than Spirit
    Not-Thunder Spirit enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
    Flying, first strike
    0/0
    I'm pretty sure that if they really wanted to "solve" that problem, it could be done.

Instead it's a nice, honest piece of nonsense to make MaRo look like a "good guy" in the Reserve List debate.

Unfortunately it's a completely bullshit stance and makes zero logical sense, outside of Marketing and PR double-speak.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post

WOTC never misses
    Why does this matter? This booster is encased in a box, so to get it you need to first open the box? At that stage, it might as well have no wrapper (if the card itself wouldn't get destroyed then)

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Why does this matter? This booster is encased in a box, so to get it you need to first open the box? At that stage, it might as well have no wrapper (if the card itself wouldn't get destroyed then)
    Because people will no doubt try selling just the Box Topper packs alone.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Because people will no doubt try selling just the Box Topper packs alone.
    ... but the packaging explicitly says, "not for resale"! who would break such a good faith gesture from WOTC by selling this product on the open market?

But actually, if the card is contained in a sealed box why does it need to be wrapped? Unless the intent is to have the cards sold after the box is opened?
    I smell shenanigans afoot.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    But actually, if the card is contained in a sealed box why does it need to be wrapped?
    Pageantry. So all your friends can gather around and watch in awe as you slowly peal back the Wonka Bar to see the golden ticket.
    Like all those old completer/video game ads showing a half dozen kids losing their shit over vector graphics or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Pageantry. So all your friends can gather around and watch in awe as you slowly peal back the Wonka Bar to see the golden ticket.
    Like all those old completer/video game ads showing a half dozen kids losing their shit over vector graphics or whatever.
    I suppose it also gives those neckbeards with latex gloves another opportunity to post a video of them opening the pack on YouTube... no offense to latex gloves.

P.s you haven't lived until you played the OG Star Wars game on an arcade cabinet.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

But actually, if the card is contained in a sealed box why does it need to be wrapped? Unless the intent is to have the cards sold after the box is opened?
    Maybe it's so that "mint" means they're still in the wrapper?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Probably because there's no way to secure it in the box - the wrapper is to protect the card. Basically, a really really fancy sleeve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Vexing Devil
    Gamble
    Squee, Goblin Nabob
    Glen Elendra Archmage
    Phyrexian Altar
    spoiled this morning, all at rare.
    Fecundity at uncommon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

other notables reprinted:
    Back to Basics
    Phyrexian Tower
    Runed Halo

All at rare.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

The new Phyrexian Tower art is pretty solid, for whatever that's worth.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm looking forward to nabbing a set of Devils and 2-3 BtB's, maybe some Bitterblossoms. Reprints are alright with me. Containment Priest was a really nice reprint.

Notably absent (so far) is Force of Will. Anybody think it might still show up?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I'm looking forward to nabbing a set of Devils and 2-3 BtB's, maybe some Bitterblossoms. Reprints are alright with me. Containment Priest was a really nice reprint.

I really hope it does, but it's been printed at mythic (right?) in the last few prints so unless they are holding back, I am not going to hold my breath for it. I have no idea if they have spoiled all the mythics or not. That being said, it hasn't been crunched out number wise yet (rarity aside):
    https://scryfall.com/sets/uma/crunch

Foil is in, so FoW seems unlikely as they fill the same role. Albeit at extremely different power levels.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

No magus of the chains yet :(

Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    No magus of the chains yet :(

I don't think this set will have ANY new cards, only reprints.

Spirit of the Labynth is as close to a Magus of the Chains as I would expect in the foreseeable future.

Which is a shame because I would have LOVED some new Eldrazi and a decent green creature discard outlet. Neither Loleth Troll nor a Wild Mongrel with reach are playable these days thanks to power creep. The new wild mongrel should have atleast been a 3/3.

After seeing all the rarity downshifts, I bought a couple of boxes on Amazon today at $270 each. Even if the price of the included cards falls to half of its current value I'll still turn a profit selling the singles. This set appears to be heavily loaded.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    Foil is in, so FoW seems unlikely as they fill the same role. Albeit at extremely different power levels.
    Yeah, I saw Foil yesterday night. Outside of graveyard synergies I think Foil is garbage, even in Limited. *shrug* I was hoping to see more FoW's in the market so I could get 3 more copies.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Yeah, I saw Foil yesterday night. Outside of graveyard synergies I think Foil is garbage, even in Limited. *shrug* I was hoping to see more FoW's in the market so I could get 3 more copies.
    Me too, but 4!
    Unfortunately, without a downshift I don't think we will see it. There are 19 mythics spoiled already, and none in white. I'd be thrilled to see it at rare, but im guessing they won't do that. Previous Master's sets were at 15 mythics, and we are at 19 right now (with 5 extra cards per set, I don't see this having more than 5 additional mythics). Fingers crossed regardless!

Thread Information