Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

Re: [UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

Full set is up.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ers-2018-11-19

Desolate Lighthouse was the final rare.

What a disappointment. I thought if they were going to charge $13 per Booster, they would atleast include tons good cards that people actually like playing with in it. Instead 95% of the cards are worthless crap.

Even if they included cheap iconic/nostalgic cards like Dark Ritual, Hypnotic Specter etc, the packs would be fun to draft but most of the cards are literally cards that no one cares about. So happy I didn't bother to preorder a box.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Yeah, I'm glad EDH players got some of their wishlist but a big old set of "meh" from here.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Yeah, I saw Foil yesterday night. Outside of graveyard synergies I think Foil is garbage, even in Limited. *shrug* I was hoping to see more FoW's in the market so I could get 3 more copies.
    Foil got shifted down to common. That's important seeing as most blue Tempo decks bounce islands with Gush a ton. (In Pauper)
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Giving credit where credit is due, check out this amazing new art that isn't computer generated garbage:

Imagine that art in here:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Giving credit where credit is due, check out this amazing new art that isn't computer generated garbage:

Imagine that art in here:

Quite a few of the new art pieces are pretty great. Also interesting that the art that everyone thought was Dig Through Time wasn't used, despite Dig being in the set.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Quite a few of the new art pieces are pretty great. Also interesting that the art that everyone thought was Dig Through Time wasn't used, despite Dig being in the set.
    Got a link?
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Got a link?

Its was the image on the announcement article and is on the box, but the visual spoiler has the old art.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    What a disappointment. I thought if they were going to charge $13 per Booster, they would atleast include tons good cards that people actually like playing with in it. Instead 95% of the cards are worthless crap.

Even if they included cheap iconic/nostalgic cards like Dark Ritual, Hypnotic Specter etc, the packs would be fun to draft but most of the cards are literally cards that no one cares about. So happy I didn't bother to preorder a box.
    I don't mind Noble Hierach, Fauna Shaman, Goyf, Teeg, Leovold, EE, Ancient Tomb, Caverns, Karakas, Phyrexian Tower, Lilianna of the Veil, Bitterblossom, and some more. I think it's a fine set, but some oldies would have been nice.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Yeah but other than all those, what have the romans ever done for us?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

I think this set is actually pretty good
    If you go through all of the rares I think the vast majority of them were worth more than the MSRP of a pack before this set was announced. I was initially disappointed at the initial asking price but there are only a handful of big duds like Talrand, Reya etc and I think this set will clearly lower the prices of a lot of playable cards despite the high MSRP. There are a lot of obvious cards that needed reprints like Runed Halo, Colonnade, Back to Basics, as well as those expensive staples that it certainly doesn't hurt to reprint again (Liliana, Hierarch, etc)

For the people who think this is a disappointment, what were you expecting? Full sets of fetchlands, SNT + Sneak, the whole DNT deck? Of course there are expensive cards that aren't included like Jace, Opal, FoW, etc but overall I think the set will have a significant positive impact on the secondary market (from the POV of decreasing prices) and therefore it's hard to complain about it too much

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    For the people who think this is a disappointment, what were you expecting? Full sets of fetchlands, SNT + Sneak, the whole DNT deck?
    At $25au for one booster, I would call this a start. Really, these are going to cost 25 a booster here. Honestly there was nothing that could have made me impressed at this point because the whole thing is just disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    For the people who think this is a disappointment, what were you expecting? Full sets of fetchlands, SNT + Sneak, the whole DNT deck? Of course there are expensive cards that aren't included like Jace, Opal, FoW, etc but overall I think the set will have a significant positive impact on the secondary market (from the POV of decreasing prices) and therefore it's hard to complain about it too much
    Not that I think it's a bad set or anything but I would be interested to see what would happen if they actually made a reprint set without any garbage at all. Would potentially be a really fun draft set that could play out similar to Legacy Cube.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

$25au for one booster
    Crikey! Twenty-five dollarydoos

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I'd consider stowing away on a freighter to Australia to pay $25 (AU) for a chance at an Imperial Seal. Oh, well.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

The way I see it:

UMA is not a bad set. The key issue is the massive bump in cost relative to value. The set is really tightly balanced, and seems like, if it were at the original Masters set MSRP of US$6.99, this would not only sell like hotcakes, but it would also give back to the Eternal communities and also increase supply. The card choices mostly make sense, and allow for a Limited format that is really cool and interesting, offering a lot of flexibility in terms of deck competition.

But at its current MSRP, it's just a terrible buy unless your RNG is good. And that will significantly diminish unless you get one of the extremely flexible, playable cards. Sure, it increases a few Portal/Starter printings, but outside of Imp. Seal and a couple of others, it's just...meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    The way I see it:

UMA is not a bad set. The key issue is the massive bump in cost relative to value. The set is really tightly balanced, and seems like, if it were at the original Masters set MSRP of US$6.99, this would not only sell like hotcakes, but it would also give back to the Eternal communities and also increase supply. The card choices mostly make sense, and allow for a Limited format that is really cool and interesting, offering a lot of flexibility in terms of deck competition.

But at its current MSRP, it's just a terrible buy unless your RNG is good. And that will significantly diminish unless you get one of the extremely flexible, playable cards. Sure, it increases a few Portal/Starter printings, but outside of Imp. Seal and a couple of others, it's just...meh.
    I don't think they would even have to go back down to the original Modern Masters MSRP, just stick with the $9.99 price point they've been using for the recent Modern Masters sets.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this place but people have collected very convincing evidence that this wasn't originally planned to be the "ultimate" masters set but a themed one about graveyard stuff. That's why the box description on the back mentions the graveyard and why the set symbol comprises two skulls if you look closely. At some point they must have changed this to be the last masters set for whatever reason and used this opportunity to throw in abundant stuff like the cancelled Ixalan Masterpieces (look at the Demonic tutor art) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned in this place but people have collected very convincing evidence that this wasn't originally planned to be the "ultimate" masters set but a themed one about graveyard stuff. That's why the box description on the back mentions the graveyard and why the set symbol comprises two skulls if you look closely. At some point they must have changed this to be the last masters set for whatever reason and used this opportunity to throw in abundant stuff like the cancelled Ixalan Masterpieces (look at the Demonic tutor art) as well.
    well they got huge flack from masters 25. it wouldn't surprised me they went back to the drawing board shortly after masters 25 and decided to change graveyard masters to ultimate masters and reused some assets to cut down on time. it was a good decision though because they included lots of value in ultimate.

is anybody else just not impressed with the "box toppers" as desirable premium cards?

I'd much rather just play with my Expedition Ancient Tombs than the Box Topper ones. The art on the new Box Toppers is kind of lame, to be honest.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Thread Information