Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: [UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

Re: [UMA] Ultimate Masters Edition (?)

So I've never really paid too much attention to pricing trends from Masters Editions because they were never cards I needed, but I could use a few Tarmogoyfs and they just got reprinted in this set. What is generally the best time to pick them up after the Masters Edition is released?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Basically right now. I know on some of the Facebook groups they are going for like 35-40 for new Goyfs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

There was some discussion about this on mtgfinance on Reddit the other day, I think someone argued for just after release and someone argued for in a couple of weeks. This depends on how popular the cards are, and I guess the pattern of opening boxes.

I'll speculate a little bit because it's fun, don't pay too much attention to this. Regarding popularity, Tarmogoyf has been dropping in price for the past couple of years, I would guess this is some effect of price memory and that with new supply it might drop more, but on the other hand I want to argue against that and say that it's a popular card that is still being used and that many want to own so maybe it will increase in price for now...? I've been thinking for a long time to pick them up myself once they reach 30€, from about 100€ so they are getting closer... Anyway, regarding box opening, maybe this set is popular to open, just speculation, and if so supply will continue to increase which would help lowering prices over the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking Christmas will influence prices over the next weeks too, but not so sure how this influences these cards; if you're short on money for Christmas you'll buy less cards, on the other hand, maybe you'll buy some extra cards as a gift to yourself [edit: not the guy short on money, obviously, different guy].

So, I don't really know what to think. Goyf is a mythic too, so that lower supply also makes it behave differently from for example Noble Hierarch (which has higher demand). I'd wait at least 3-4 days and see how the price progresses. I think I've seen before how the prices after release can behave like the stock market with rebounds, so even trends during these 3-4 days may be short hickups.. So depending on how the prices change, and how much you enjoy watching the prices fluctuate (not a lot, I guess), you can wait another week or two, or if prices seem steadily increasing then grab your set now. But be aware that supply [edit: fixed that] may increase from opening of boxes and once the demand is saturated in a couple of weeks, if that happens, prices can start dropping..

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Honestly if anything buy the stuff that didn't get printed now. It's high, but it'll just go higher
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The real hit to Goyf's price came from Fatal Push getting printed, which finally gave non-white blue/black decks a cheap, reliable, maindeckable answer to him.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Yes, and maybe Gurmag? And Pyromancer being popular also hurt Goyf a bit, maybe even TNN, but maybe mostly Push. It seemed a bit too far off topic to go into that.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The real hit to Goyf's price came from Fatal Push getting printed, which finally gave non-white blue/black decks a cheap, reliable, maindeckable answer to him.
    I disagree. This card pushed The Rock and Jund back into a playable position in Modern where Goyf had been seeing next to no play. Sure, there is another answer for the card but it's an answer that is often paired with it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Ah yeah, modern sets prices, not legacy, that's for sure..

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    So I've never really paid too much attention to pricing trends from Masters Editions because they were never cards I needed, but I could use a few Tarmogoyfs and they just got reprinted in this set. What is generally the best time to pick them up after the Masters Edition is released?
    About a month or two if you aren’t in a big hurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Fatal Push and Lilianas made non-white control decks possible

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Honestly if anything buy the stuff that didn't get printed now. It's high, but it'll just go higher
    Such as? Off the top of my head; surgical extraction, mox opal...

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Such as? Off the top of my head; surgical extraction, mox opal...
    Fetches gotta be the big ones. Khans fetches especially. They're too low. This set gave you staples, standard is giving you shocks. Fetches of all kinds and basically any staple that wasn't in this set or seen a reprint in the past couple years. Like manamorphose, surgical, leylines

Thread Information