Thread: Simple Slide

Simple Slide

So, since MTGO got so ridic cheap, I bought in again a little and put together a Slide deck. It's actually been winning in the tourney practice room, which basically means nothing, but I've been seeing a fair number of tier decks, so I'm willing to say this pile is solidly tier 2ish.

Basic plan, control the board, kill any kind of permanent your opponent plays. Nothing cool or fancy here, just a simple focus. Then there's a bunch of anti-casting cards for spell decks. Not sure on the Tormod's Crypts in the board. It's possible Faerie Macabre's would be better there. I dunno. Also a Nantuko Monastery or two might be nice, but as it is, this just kinda rocks so far.

Creatures - 6
    3x Eternal Witness
    3x Knight of Autumn

Planeswalkers - 2
    2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sorceries - 11
    3x Life from the Loam
    4x Edge of Autumn
    4x Wrath of God

Instants - 12
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Orim's Chant
    2x Abeyance
    2x Gilded Light
    2x Forsake the Worldly

Enchantments - 4
    4x Astral Slide

Lands - 25
    2x Plains
    2x Forest
    4x Flagstones of Trokair
    3x Savannah
    2x Scattered Groves
    4x Secluded Steppe
    4x Tranquil Thicket
    4x Wasteland

Sideboard
    3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2x Gilded Light
    2x Abeyance
    2x Orim's Chant
    1x Knight of Autumn
    1x Forsake the Worldly
    4x Tormod's Crypt

The basic concept is pretty simple.

Creature decks? Beat 'em with Slide, Wrath, Swords, and recursion.
    Spell decks? Beat 'em with Abeyance, Chant, Loam, and Gilded.
    Control decks? Beat 'em with recursion, Loam, and Elspeth.

It's like the '69 Packers. The only had 7 plays. You knew what was coming, question is, can you stop it?
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 11-04-2018 at 12:52 AM.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Re: Simple Slide

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Isn't it too much artifact + enchantment hate?

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    Isn't it too much artifact + enchantment hate?
    Neither of those are dedicated. Forsake cycles, and Knight is also lifegain and a beater. Besides, most decks that run art/enchant that you need to answer go HEAVY on the theme with the idea of target overload. This addresses both halves of that issue. If you don't need art or enchant hate, you effectively don't have any. If you do need a lot, you've got all you could ever want.

May 2017
    here

As someone that started playing around odyssey/onslaught and loves old standard slide, this is totally cool.

Is there a particular reason for the flagstones over fetches? Maybe a karakas or two, especially with Thalia side?
    I also want to try it with either a zenith or crop rotation package, although that's probably me being too much of a m@verick player.

I'll probably pick up the cards online within a few days and run it through some rounds, looks like fun

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by Exodisma View Post
    Is there a particular reason for the flagstones over fetches?
    Edge of Autumn

I also wonder why there's no acceleration. I think Mox Diamond + Green Sun's Zenith + Dryad Arbor allow for some consistent turn 2 Slide.

Crop Rotation + Flagstones is also nice. Add a single Ancient Tomb as tutor target and you get an even more consistent turn 2 Slide.

I was going to refer you to the primary Slide thread until I noticed you were the OP of that one too.

You previously declared slide dead, what's brought you back and why the new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    I was going to refer you to the primary Slide thread until I noticed you were the OP of that one too.

You previously declared slide dead, what's brought you back and why the new thread?
    The old thread was an attempt to make an actually good Slide deck. This isn't. It's simply a fun tier 2ish deck that I like and wanted to share with people.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The old thread was an attempt to make an actually good Slide deck. This isn't. It's simply a fun tier 2ish deck that I like and wanted to share with people.
    Knight of Autumn printing and the death of DRS seems to have done a lot to help slide out competitively - I'll be playing it next week and will post results in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaono View Post
    Knight of Autumn printing and the death of DRS seems to have done a lot to help slide out competitively - I'll be playing it next week and will post results in the other thread.
    Awesome man, I hope you win out.

Thread Information