Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is this forum being abandoned for discord threads?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Why is this forum being abandoned for discord threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    For me it's the complete lack of innovation available in the format. I used to come here all the time, I loved making the terrible (but successful for a while) Zur the Enchanter deck and debating choices for Merfolk. Back then so many decks were viable and single cards could create awesome synergies enabling other formerly useless cards. Now you can't play useless cards, so viable decks have narrowed to blue shell + other cards that are good on their own, Chalice decks, or ignore-you-combo (also comes in flavor ignore-you-but-I-also-have-blue-combo).
    Agreed. Hyper efficiency of fair decks and raw power of combo decks (basically Griselbrand) has pushed out the interesting synergy based strategies. I do think Griselbrand ban could help this a bit as resolving a show and tell or reanimate no longer is just GG ninety percent of the time
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    For me it's the complete lack of innovation available in the format. I used to come here all the time, I loved making the terrible (but successful for a while) Zur the Enchanter deck and debating choices for Merfolk. Back then so many decks were viable and single cards could create awesome synergies enabling other formerly useless cards. Now you can't play useless cards, so viable decks have narrowed to blue shell + other cards that are good on their own, Chalice decks, or ignore-you-combo (also comes in flavor ignore-you-but-I-also-have-blue-combo).
    This is exactly what has caused the stalemate in vintage when the format became:

Blue - I decide whether you get to play magic
    Shops - You don't play magic
    Dredge - I was never playing Magic to begin with

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I should re-read the whole thread before posting, but I'll save that for later.. I think right now we can't complain about the lack of innovation in the format, the format is bubbling.. I think actually the main problem with this forum is that there is no structure, that I'm aware of, to create subthreads within a thread. For example the Nic Fit thread would benefit immensely from having a shared thread and separate subthreads. Creating separate threads for all types of Nic Fit would, I believe, fragmentize the discussion too much.. There would be hundreds of new threads from all decks multiplying their threads. I still think the Source is the best place to publish interesting information and discuss it, because it's one place where you find all of relevance, all views are treated equally (I imagine upvoting and downvoting can kill a discussion by removing controversial views), and information does not get lost over time. How am I going to find a tournament report I made five years ago on Discord? I don't see that happening, at least not with my current Discord skills.

Ugh no way
    I used to frequent a wh40k board that did that. What ended up happening was a million threads with 1 or 2 posts each in them. It was a cluttered mess and killed any discussion as everything got so separated, people only looked at their specific thread, and a lot of 'outsife the box ideas were lost.
    I'll sit and read a few pages of s thread, I'm not going to click between dozens of threads with 1 reply each that are super similar but have a slight difference.
    It's not like there are thousands of new posts here everyday to keep organized, most decks only get a few added messages a day.
    Plus it makes the board look even more dead with so many almost empty threads.
    Didn't themanadrain do something like that for a bit a few years ago?

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

It seems like you're agreeing with what I said, having separate threads is not good. Having sub threads is a different option, there would still be a main thread where discussion most likely would continue similarly to now.

Either way, we're not in a position to have any of these changes.. Thought I'd add the obvious.

Nov 2012
    Franklin, MA, US

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    While i recognize the appeal of being able to talk directly with people and receive immediate answers, i think this is a very very bad change. Discord cannot replace a forum in any way, because a forum is basically a huge collection of informations and knowledge that is available to everyone.
    This is why I am a little sad, but ultimately not bothered by the lessening of activity. I think there is enough action and necessity for the forums to exist, and while I wish there was a little more discussion going on I think the important stuff is being laid down here. I think discords have their place, but it is more about community than knowledge. I can't use discord at work, and I rarely have the free time to do that stuff at home so I am a little biased perhaps, but it is what it is.

Oh man, content medium chat gets banned from the podcast thread and then this thread gets bumped? This is some serious Fault of Amigara level of trolling.

Thread Information