2 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Knight of Autumn
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Garruk Relentless
    1 Choke
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

This is all from memory, I’m terrible at taking notes and I don’t remember much about how I boarded in each matchup.

Rd. 1 - R/W Painter
    Smuggler's copter is annoying, also I probably punted a few plays, died to Bob triggers G1 and 3. I didn’t yet feel mentally warmed for this match.
    1-2 0-1

Rd. 2 – Miracles
    Opponent was new to his deck/the format.
    I don’t remember much about G1 or 2, but he wasn’t playing a standard list, as it featured maindeck RiP/Helm. G3 Opponent wasn’t familiar with Gaddock Teeg. He read it, then tried to Council’s Judgment it, but I had untapped Karakas and no other nonland permanents. He was out of cards at this point, so Kithkin Advisor beats went all the way.
    2-1. 1-1

Rd. 3 - RUG Lands
    Found myself wanting a Bojuka Bog in this match, as grabbing it w/ Knight would have sealed the game at a couple of points, but Leyline turned out to be enough. I think he had me locked G1, so I scooped and then was able to create some giant Knights in G2. Hardcasted a Leyline G3, which he removed with an EE on 4. I was then able to cast Scooze and hit his Loam without him being able to dredge at instant speed.
    2-1 2-1

Rd. 4 - B/R Reanimator
    Not much to say here. G1 I died to Griselbrand into Tidespout Tyrant, and then had Leyline in my openers in both G2 and 3.
    2-1 3-1

Rd. 5 Grixis Control
    Could have taken different lines here to maybe win G3, being on the draw is tough vs Hymn. Strix is a ridiculous magic card.
    1-2 3-2

Rd. 6 - Cephalid Breakfast!!!???
    G1 he didn't try for combo, his secondary plan was SFM. Steamrolled that w/ Pfire. At this point, I had no idea what was going on, even though I did see a Narcomoeba pitched to FOW, which should have got me to bring in Leyline G2, but I didn't. Got comboed out G2. Leyline was enough in G3.
    2-1 4-2

Rd. 7 – ANT
    G1 he starts w/ a flurry of discard followed by nothing, and then dies to a big knight a few turns later. I thought about it and decided that Duress + cantrips puts him on storm and boarded accordingly. Lost G2 after putting a chalice on 1 instead of zero which gave him a Petal + LED line. G3 went for chalice on 1 again and got rewarded, his Ad nauseum needed a petal to get going, he ran out of life looking for it. I probably got lucky that he whiffed on Ad Nauseum G3, as my only pressure was Marchesa, who comes down too late to really matter.
    Leyline was not bad here since it limits their lines a bit, had it G2 and 3, though I'm not sure if it's correct.
    2-1 5-2

Rd. 8 – Burn
    Ouch. Price of Progress is dumb vs 4C Loam. Opponent told me he had been pretty fortunate matchup-wise all day, and in G1 when I fetched Bayou + Mox into Bob on T1 on the play, he knew he was in the clear once again.
    0-2 5-3

Rd. 9 - RUG Delver
    Chalice on 1 shuts off 90 % of their deck G1. Knight doesn’t care about Goyf and tutors Wasteland. It seemed like he bricked on countermagic pretty hard all match and had “zoo” draws both games. G2 ended w/ me at 1 life after getting hit repeatedly by double thresh’d ‘Goose. He had several cards in hand but no land, so I was afraid of the topdeck Volcanic/fetch into bolt to finish me, but he didn’t draw the land.
    2-0 6-3

At this point, I was feeling pretty great, as I’ve never done this well in a huge tournament before. I should have kept my excitement in check, but my friends and I went out to the bars and stayed up super late. Not a good way to prep for the final rounds.
    Day 2:
    Wasn’t feeling very well after many beers the night before and 4.5 hours of bad sleep, but I made it down to the tournament on-time, in spite of the Triathlon that was clogging up the city.

Rd. 10 - Grixis Control
    Lost G1 after he resolved a Jace and I had bad mana. Won G2 w/ Choke. G3 I had Chalice on 1, active loam + thicket, Choke and Garruk in hand, and a killer hangover. I let him resolve a Surgical on my Loam through my chalice, which completely ruined all my lines; I needed to recur a fetchland at least 1 more time to get to the big stuff in my hand. This was the only chalice trigger I missed in the main event. O well.
    Still only 2% regret going out on the town Saturday night.
    1-2 6-4

Rd. 11 – drop
    Got ready to leave and was able to pick up a minty Italian Tabernacle by trading in some random stuff I wasn’t using and some spare duals.

Final thoughts:
    My deck honestly felt amazing and was very fun to play.

I was pretty happy with my sideboard choices. I didn’t get to cast Garruk in any games, so I can’t evaluate how useful he is. He is the easiest to cast of the planeswalkers available for the slot. My logic is that he affects the board right away, so I think he gets the nod.

Burn is the only thing that I truly fear while playing 4C Loam, maybe also Omnitell/Sneak ‘n’ Show. It seems like Loam has at least some game against everything else.

I strongly believe that it’s the only deck in the meta that can properly take advantage of Liliana of the Veil.

Pfire + Loam is definitely one of the most powerful things that you can do in Legacy today.

Assassin’s Trophy was fine but Decay is definitely still required. I think 2 and 2 is the correct split. Against RUG Delver, Trophy was an instant-speed Sinkhole.

Leyline over performed, I boarded it in a bunch and had it in my opener most of the time.

Another vote from me for Marchesa as well, an awesome and incredibly fun card.

I definitely struggle against skilled Grixis control players, but that's not the deck's fault.

All in all, EW 2018 was an absolute blast, and I found Pittsburgh to be a pretty nice city.

All my opponents were a pleasure to play against, and overall, this was by far the best experience I've ever had in a large MTG tournament. I can’t wait for next year!

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Re: 4C Loam at EW Legacy Champs 2018 - Brief Report

No shoutout for lending you not only the Garruk, but also the checklist card?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    No shoutout for lending you not only the Garruk, but also the checklist card?
    Kids these days. No respect. No respect, I tell you.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Congrats. Leylines seem powerful as you suggested. I think against STorm some number of Leylines is fine to bring in, especially against ANT. PiF is the better of the engines anyway and it cuts off threshold for Cabal Ritual. They can beat it, but it's still good. I think any Show and Tell deck playing Omniscience is probably hard to beat, though Sneak and Show without it is probably close to 50/50 if you play tight and draw decently. Good to see people still fighting the good fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information