Thread: Steamed Hams (Aggro-Combo Aura Enchantress)

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Steamed Hams (Aggro-Combo Aura Enchantress)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4lnZr022M8

Steamed Hams is an Enchantress variant that trades many of the traditional protection elements of Enchantress for the chance at a turn 3 enormous beater, in the form of Kor Spiritdancer. This isn't a new idea in and of itself, people have been trying to make Aura Enchantress a thing since Auratog, and running cards like Rancor and Armadillo Cloak to try to get there. Steamed Hams opts instead to play a mini-combo with a card so obscure it's not even on MTGO: Nature's Chosen.

The ideal game goes like this: turn 1 Wild Growth or Utopia Sprawl. Turn 2, Kor Spiritdancer, enchant with Nature's Chosen. Untap the land with Growth/Sprawl, play a couple more 1 mana enchantments, draw some cards. Turn 3 get 8-10 mana off of untapping and attack with a Spiritdancer enchanted with Eidolon of Countless Battles.

Development of the deck has only been under way for a few months and has been somewhat sidetracked by experimentation with the generally better strategy of trying to abuse Estrid's Invocation. That said, I think the deck has some potential so I'm posing it here for any Enchantress enthusiasts who've been looking for a chance to make Spiritdancer viable.

The core of the deck: these are the cards that I'm pretty confident would end up in whatever finalized decklist happens:

4x Kor Spiritdancer
    4x Nature's Chosen
    4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Abundant Growth

Which of course leaves about 20-22 spots plus the mana. I tend to think that this version values having a reliable start and doesn't have as much need for Serra's Sanctum, or as much to do with the white mana. I do think you want Dryad Arbor because you may need to stick Nature's Chosen on it if you don't have another outlet(on Dryad Arbor it's effectively a Wild Growth - assuming, of course, that it doesn't die).

A pretty straightforward sample decklist:

4x Kor Spiritdancer
    3x Sram, Senior Edificer
    2x Argothian Enchantress
    3x Green Sun's Zenith
    2x Doomwake Giant
    2x Eidolon of Countless Battles
    1x Eidolon of Blossoms
    1x Leafcrown Dryad
    1x Knight of Autumn

4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Abundant Growth
    4x Unbridled Growth
    4x Nature's Chosen
    1x Lignify
    1x Song of the Dryads
    1x Quiet Disrepair

1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Savannah
    1x Bayou
    1x Plains
    4x Windswept Heath
    1x Misty Rainforest
    1x Verdant Catacombs
    8x Forest

So obviously this version is a lot more vulnerable to creature removal, but still tries to make use of Argothian and GSZ. Nature's Chosen is the only card that's actually unplayable if you're relying on an Argothian to draw cards, so it shouldn't be a huge obstacle. The enchantment count is relatively low at 29 - generally I don't like being below 30. But 8 of them cantrip, so it should help make up for it, and I do think you need to MD Knight of Autumn in this build, as it's super vulnerable to Chalice. You could switch out Song of the Dryad and Lignify for Chained to the Rocks but it would require splashing for a Taiga and changing the Unbridled Growths into Nylea's Presence.

Speaking of a red splash, this list is also a possibility:

4x Kor Spiritdancer
    3x Sram, Senior Edificer
    3x Heliod's Pilgrim
    2x Village Bell-Ringer
    1x Midnight Guard
    2x Eidolon of Countless Battles

4x Nature's Chosen
    4x Wild Growth
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Abundant Growth
    4x Nylea's Presence
    2x Chained to the Rocks
    2x Splinter Twin
    1x Overwhelming Splendor
    1x Quiet Disrepair
    1x Song of the Dryads

1x Taiga
    1x Savannah
    1x Plateau
    1x Plains
    4x Windswept Heath
    3x Wooded Foothills
    7x Forest

This version is trying to get a certain number of turn 3 combo wins as a plan B, while Chained to the Rocks and Overwhelming Splendor improve the SnS matchup, supplemented by Heliod's Pilgrim as a tutor, which, absent the combo win, also makes a good Splinter Twin target.

So the main obstacle for me right now is that I do most of my testing on MTGO and Nature's Chosen isn't available online, and my LGS rarely has Legacy. I don't know if the pieces are there for a competitive decklist, but I do think the core of the deck creates a lot of explosive starts. How the rest of the deck should be built I'm still not clear on, but I'm sure there are other people who've tinkered with Aura Enchantress lists who have some thoughts.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Re: Steamed Hams (Aggro-Combo Aura Enchantress)

Place holder
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Sep 2011

Deck is hilarious.

Two problems

1) This unplayable chunderbucket pile unfortunately scoops to Unplayable Chunderbucket Pile. You might as well be Raisin Bran because you'll be doing a lot of Two Scoops.

2) Nature's Chosen has been erratad. Who knew. Now tap is part of the cost for the second ability, so it's affected by summoning sickness. No turn 2 Kor Spiritdancer + ramp.

EDIT: Nevermind. Deckbox says this

As long as enchanted creature is white, it has "T: Untap target artifact, creature, or land. Play this ability only once each turn."
    But Gatherer says this

Tap enchanted creature: Untap target artifact, creature, or land. Activate this ability only if enchanted creature is white and is untapped and only once each turn.
    This forums needs to stop linking to Deckbox with incorrect rulings.

So it works. Take this to casual night FTlulz

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Why not Auratog and rancor?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Thread Information