Thread: 6-3 record with Dead Guy Ale at SCG Syracuse. 90th place I think

6-3 record with Dead Guy Ale at SCG Syracuse. 90th place I think

Played Dead Guy Ale as usual at SCG Syracuse last weekend. Lost my win and in, in the final round. So close to day 2. Oh well.

4 Dark confidant
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Remorseful Cleric
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Hero of Bladehold
    1 Gurmag Angler
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Cabal Therapy
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Vindicate
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Shambling Vent
    4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Bloodstained Mire

Board. 1 leyline of Sanctity, 1 Leyline of the VOid, 1 Faerie Macabre, 1 Surgical Extraction, 1 Zealous Persecution, 1 Engineered Explosives, 1 Toxic Deluge, 1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, 1 Humility, 1 Collective Brutality, 1 Alms Collector, 1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, 1 Sanctum Prelate, 1 Containment Priest, 1 Tsabo's Web

Round 1. Red Stompy. Joseph Merwin. Win 2-0.
    Game 1. Turn 1 Bob. He does turn 1 Chalice on 1. I do turn 2 Lingering Souls. He does a Trinisphere I think turn 2. My turn 3 is Hero of Bladehold. He doesn't have the removal or Ensnaring Bridge and promptly dies to the army.
    Game 2. I can't remember anything in this game, only that his hate didn't line up with my board state/hand.

Round 2. Reanimator. Michael Plummer. Win 2-0
    Game 1. My opener has a Thoughtseize, another 1 mana discard spell and a Karakas. Hero of Bladehold ends this game too.
    Game 2. My opening 7 has a Leyline of the void and a turn 1 Thalia Guardian of Thraben. lol. My Thalia gets dazed but I'm able to resolve a Gurmag Angler and a Bob. Alms Collector is flashed in for exactly enough to kill.

Round 3. Grixis Delver. Edward Whiteside. Win 2-1
    Game 1. I do a turn 1 Stoneforge Mystic. He responds by brainstorming (he had mulled to 5)....and then scooping. I put him on UR Delver (i wasn't insanely far off) since Show and tell decks don't care about a Stoneforge.
    Game 2. I die to a TNN and Delver of Secrets.
    Game 3. Batterskull gets there.

Round 4. Red Stompy. Joseph Rufrano (sp). Lose 2-0
    Game 1. My turn 1 Bob gets trumped by a Chandra, Torch of Defiance. Boo urns.
    Game 2. I have him down to 1 but I can't answer the Ensnaring Bridge. I die to Chandra 5 damage Emblem.

Round 5. Eldrazi. Paul Haigh. Win 2-0
    Both games equipment get there. Chalice on 1 is only slightly annoying based on my hand

Round 6. UW Stoneblade. Noah Kravitz. Win 2-1.
    Game 1. SOFI and Batterskull get there.
    Game 2. Back to Basics gets 3 of my lands....which is all my lands.
    Game 3. His cantrips don't find much. I have Liliana of the Veil and Liliana, the Last Hope in play at the same time. And I get to ultimate both to win.

Round 7. UB Shadow. Abraham Stein. Lose 2-0
    Game 1. My Lilly, Last Hope isn't enough to stop Death's Shadow.
    Game 2. He floods the board with 2 Shadow, 1 angler and a Delver. I draw no answers.

Round 8. Eldrazi. Patrick Page. Win 2-0
    I have a turn 1 bob that is met with a Chalice on 1.....

Game 2. He draws kinda poorly and i'm able to answer what threats he is able to play. In the end he had only a City of Traitors in play and 3 Smashers in hand.....hmmmm or was that game 1?

Round 9. UB Show and tell. Corey Adams. Lose 2-0
    Game 1. I mull to 5. Mystic, Cleric, 3 lands. He seizes and takes my Mystic. Lol, still i almost got there with flying pegasus beatdowns, followed by a Mystic for a SOFI. I did a mistake though. He had a Jace on 1 counter....I had a Cleric and Mystic with SOFI on Mystic....I should have switched the sword to the cleric for that extra damage to Corey. That mattered in the end......at 3 life he show and tells Omniscience into Emrakul. FUnny thing is that he couldn't swing since he would die on swing back and I have a ton of useless lands to sacrifice (and I'm at 18 life). So it was draw go for at least 4 turns.....if i had switched equipment earlier, I would have won.
    Game 2. He casts Murderous Cut on my Sanctum Prelate on 3, so he could show and tell Omniscience Emrakul.....

-Losing the win and into day 2 kinda sucked. Turns out too that 6-2-1 would have made it too but ID at 6-2 is super risky.
    -Hero of Bladehold kill count. 2. I joked to my friends that it's kind of a low count. But they said I should be surprised I got any.
    -Had I think at least 8 turn 1 2 drops. 1 Hymn. 1 Thalia (got countered). At least 3 bobs. 2 Mystics I think.
    -didn't face any Miracles, Grixis Control, Death and Taxes, Lands or GB Depths. A bit surprised.
    -Tsabo's web was kinda useless. Leyline of the Void was very good. lol.
    -maindeck MVP was Bob. only vs UB shadow did he fail me. 2nd place was Lingering Souls + Jitte or SOFI. Took out a few people with that.
    -sideboard MVP. none really. Leyline of the Void showed up when I needed it. Could have used Collective Brutality vs Red Stompy to win a game.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Re: 6-3 record with Dead Guy Ale at SCG Syracuse. 90th place I think

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkin View Post
    P
    Round 6. UW Stoneblade. Noah Kravitz. Win 2-1.
    Game 1. SOFI and Batterskull get there.
    Game 2. Back to Basics gets 3 of my lands....which is all my lands.
    Game 3. His cantrips don't find much. I have Liliana of the Veil and Liliana, the Last Hope in play at the same time. And I get to ultimate both to win.
    It's always super frustrating losing this way especially since we play enough basics where b2b doesn't really do much. I have shown my opponents 4-5 basics game 1 and still have them keep in b2b postboard.

Shame you didn't make day 2, it seems like a lot of folks that I knew were also in the 6-3 boat. Regardless still good to see hero taking heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Dec 2014
    Decatur, GA

Re: 6-3 record with Dead Guy Ale at SCG Syracuse. 90th place I think

Sucks you didn't make Day 2, doesn't suck that you didn't scoop to anyone getting Monarch against you.

Thread Information