Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Source Secret Santa 2018

Re: The Source Secret Santa 2018

My package is almost complete! Just missing a few pieces to send with it that I should be able to acquire today. However, I'm currently on graveyard shifts. I'll probably be asleep while the post office is open today before my package is finished. If I get it into the post office before it closes on Saturday the 8th, will that be an issue or should I eschew sleep to get it in today?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I'll also send out tomorrow. :)
    -rob

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pyre View Post
    My package is almost complete! Just missing a few pieces to send with it that I should be able to acquire today. However, I'm currently on graveyard shifts. I'll probably be asleep while the post office is open today before my package is finished. If I get it into the post office before it closes on Saturday the 8th, will that be an issue or should I eschew sleep to get it in today?
    Nice to hear the international shippers are getting ready. The rules are general guidelines, and please send your package at your convenience.
    Happy dredging at your graveyard shifts, and hope you will have a fresh reanimation
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

I have all the items for mine. I'll be getting it out probably early next week once I get it all packed up! Hoping the recipient enjoys!
    Btw - do we provide tracking anywhere? Or just hang on to it to make sure things get delivered?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

sent out! :)
    -rob

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    I have all the items for mine. I'll be getting it out probably early next week once I get it all packed up! Hoping the recipient enjoys!
    Btw - do we provide tracking anywhere? Or just hang on to it to make sure things get delivered?
    Glad to hear! You can PM the tracking info to me, and I will only check it in case of no receipt until Christmas. Otherwise, it is a nice tool to track how close is your package to their recipient.

Sent!
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

I'm the absolute ~worst~!

Posting here for accountability, sending this morning the moment the post office is open!

EDIT: Package sent! I'll have the tracking number to you in PM soon.
    Last edited by Dan Pyre; 12-12-2018 at 08:34 AM.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

The first gifts have arrived!
    However, I got PMs about high import tax, which is frustrating to experience as part of the Secret Santa. I think it makes sense to open up a discussion here what is the best way for international shipment for this year (mostly too late) and the coming years. Personally, I have very limited experience dealing with customs, and a ~20% import tax into Germany is not too unreasonable. The delay and extra efforts of course suck. What would you do? Mark as gift, estimate a value below threshold, etc.?

I'll just share what I did (shipping from USA to CAN):
    filled out customs forms broadly but honestly, and put in the dollar value (individual items were off, but the total was correct), and marked as gift. I could send it express for $50 bucks or "first class" for ~$25. So I chose the latter. I can't imagine canada having issues not delivering packages, but I guess we will see! I sent through USPS. Has anyone sent via fedex/ups and if so, what were the rates for those?

I havent shipped to europe in a LONG time (like 15 years - back when workshops were $150 and duals were $40 ) I've always put the dollar value on there as what it is for 2 reasons:
    1 - I don't want to do anything illegal and I feel like that is something they would take seriously, even if the variance was "small."
    2 - If something does go wrong and I need to claim insurance I want to make sure I'm adequately covered.

As far as the import duties (and this goes for commercial sales, not necessarily this), Ive figured that just a cost of buying overseas for the buyer. They knew they were buying from the states and presumably know their country does things the way they do things, so I just let them deal with it. After a small number of sales created big headaches I stopped selling to Europe.

I apologize if this comes too rough for some but these sort of things really grind my gears and I'm always amazed by the lack of knowledge, ignorance and pure idiocy when people are shipping items.

All you (not pointing any fingers; general term), as a seller, had to do is to declare the value below whatever is the taxation line for the country you were shipping to, that is worldwide roughly 20$. So why was it so hard to just declare value of the package at let's say 5$ and everything would be fine.. but hell no, some ignoranus decided to declare full value, preferably from the highest online site just cause... WHY? So the recipient can pay 30% more on tax/duties. Here's get bent and Merry Christmas gift for you.

And to all the people who say "that's why I never ship to X country or outside of my hermetically sealed bubble I'm living in" just grow a pair and fill in the customs form/declare value (you do this at post office when you hand in the package). That's all you have to do, post officer can help you, it's not that hard.. it's basically you just being lazy (afraid?) af and taking an easy way out. And as said before there's no reason to declare real value except when you are paying for insurance. there nothing more moronic than paying tax to state for trading MAgic card. And what are you going to say to customs officer, "Sir, sir but have you checked the prices lately, after the UMA reprint, that Engineered explosives is now 30$ instead of the declared 80$" .. they won't care (it's arbitrary af is what i'm saying).

Disclaimer: Customs can always stop, open the package and raise queries to the recipient even if value is below the taxation line, but that's, even if unlucky, something recipient has accepted when signing up for SS 2018 international edition. But recipient sure as hell didn't sign up for the buttfuckery that will now happen because somebody decided to go ham and declare full value of items. Marking package as gift is basically a customs trap and in great majority fails horribly so just never mark it as such hoping for "Oh it's a gift, now I can send a Ferrari. I bet customs officer will be cool about it". Sure buddy, sure, maybe one day you will climb over that mountain where the sun goes down.

ps: I've done thousands of sales and buys internationally and from my end I've never had issues with customs. But I did have some rare instances where sellers were just too .. let's call it uneducated.

You're being harsh.

As for me, this was my first time shipping to another country. The FedEx person didn't say anything about import duties. I was unaware such a thing even existed, as again this was my first time. I asked everything I could think to ask. I declared value, because the original thread SPECIFICALLY SAID TO and I was following instructions. As expensive as it was, I certainly didn't think my recipient would have to pay almost the same price. Why wouldn't they charge ME for that when I sent it? Had I known all that I would have figured out an alternate method.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

ronco, Mr Miagi, compact_d:
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I appreciate the veteran's insights as well as views from first timers.
    The Source Secret Santa has a tradition encouraging oversea exchange. Going forward, we should make it as friendly as possible to all parties involved, including the customs.
    My proposal for the future editions would be international (i.e., across tax zones) shipment should have a declared value below 20$. There is of course more freedom about how much value one would pack in. MtG cards fluctuate in value, and there is foil/altering/signature to factor in. It is impossible to determine the value except by transaction records, which do not apply to Secret Santa gifts. However, to keep us at peace with all parties, nobody signed in for international should send or expect 100$ in 'market' value. There is still room to explore, as many of us are here for the sentimental value of Secret Santa.
    It was hard for this year as we don't have many participants, but I kept shipping across tax zones under a half. I'd like to hear better proposals for future Secret Santas and hope this discussion will serve us good for the coming years.

Geez.

Don't know if Mr. Miagi was directed towards my post or set off by it or just a coincidence, but I'll reiterate my point again for clarity

As a SELLER (and not as a gift sending) - I put the sale value of cards on the customs forms. If a card sells for 30, I put 30 on the form. If it's 200, I put 200. It's a federal offense to put anything but the value of what is being sent so that's what I put on there because I have records of it selling for that amount, thus, that is the value of the contents. Its the same as any insurance I put on, if I choose to. That way everything matches and is done by the book in the event of disputes or audits or what have you (whether the law is correct or just is a different story).

I don't believe anything is different for gifting vs a commercial transaction (that was part of the reason I wanted to stay in NA as well). If the source wants to encourage other behaviors or find some other way around this I'm all ears. As for what I did for the gift, I followed pretty much the same process. Marked as gift, put the value as roughly what the contents were worth on the forms, ie my recipients target/my budget for this and sent it on its way.

The declared value on mine was higher than the contents, which led to higher taxes (i believe after googling).

I was following what FedEx told me, but clearly it was not the right thing (or correct thing, or legal thing) to do.

Clearly I would not do that to make a recipient of a GIFT pay more intentionally.

There was definitely a misunderstanding, and I think the employee was not as aware of things, especially after all of this talk.

I think talking about it and knowing what to do in the future is really the way to go about it. This is all important information to remember for next year or for people that are shipping late! Easy as that. Take it into account and figure the best possible way.

I'm still happy to do international. Adds fun to things for me. Novice mistakes. :(

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

@ ronco
    I appreciate and agree with your points on selling and gifting. This year, we get budgets ranging from 50$ to 150$, well above the import tax threshold. In the last post, I was playing around ideas, how one could make 20$ 'market' value of cards worth more sentimentally. Altering is a good example, which can easily double the perceived worth, or if poorly implemented, halve the value.
    To clarify, we should not advocate exploiting the 'grey area', especially not on our beloved public forum. To draft a shipment guideline for future Secret Santas, we could go within tax zone: no budget constraint; across tax zone: $20. I hope future organizers can have smarter ideas, but our discussion can serve as a good record to learn from.

@ compact_d
    You are an awesome Santa and can only get better with international experience

I would like to close the discussion here to prevent it from going astray.
    The domestic shipping deadline is approaching. Let's all get ready to send out our packages

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

My alters just need to dry and I need to pick up some stocking stuffers and I'll be ready to mail this weekend.

Unrelated: painting is hard :<
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Urgh, it's a shame about the import taxes. I declared the value so I could get insurance on the gift - I wouldn't want to be completely out if something goes wrong but it is frustrating that the import tax is based on that. I still really enjoy doing international gifting, it is a lot of fun for me. I hope that it doesn't go away in future editions :(

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Unless if you're sending a single card that's very close to the whole budget, you could also consider sending several smaller packages. (or one package, and some other envelops with the other cards.)
    -rob

Oct 2013
    Berlin

Presents sent out today. Now waiting for the braggin' thread.
    TEAM MtG Berlin

"Dredge isn't a deck, it's public masturbation with graveyard triggers."

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    So dismissive.
    Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    This thread is great. I've been able to save so much money on seasoning! Whenever I'm eating something bland, I just wander over here to borrow some of the infinite salt.

Thread Information