Thread: Atraxa Superfriends

Atraxa Superfriends

In an attempt not to clutter up Ace/Homebrew's 5c Cromat PW deck, I decided to branch off my own and follow the same format of their post and update style. Front page will always have most up to date list. I chose Atraxa as the commander because I had her (?) and because I felt like making a PW-centric deck. While the proliferate synergy is pretty obvious, being cut off red eliminates a lot of choices. Without further ado, here is the list, and hopefully Ace doesn't mind me stealing the template:

38 Lands

21 Planeswalkers
    These are the Super Friends. Only one of each planeswalker type allowed (Taking that stipulation from Ace. I like it).

41 Other Cards

The General

Couple quick notes while I save some space for other inclusions. This is a pillow fort deck that hopes to get walkers out after some stabilizing. My initial criteria for my walker's were that they must provide card advantage on the turn they come into play with the assumption that they would be HUGE targets for removal. So drawing a card, killing a creature, or negating a creature in play (in Kiora's case) were required. Once the board is stabilized, the deck moves to a "turns" deck to go for either kills via emblems or just Atraxa damage. I don't always cast Atraxa and I'm still trying to figure out the sequence if Atraxa first or PW first but I'm still learning here.

Also, I don't have duals or enemy fetches, so its pseudo-budget (as much as a nearly all rare/mythic deck can be anyway). But aside from the big money cards, I am open to suggestions. I would like to have the deck have more to do in the early turns, but the mana ramp is there to help speed that up a bit. The Astral Cornucopia and Everflowing chalice are there to take advantage of proliferating, and the honor-worn is there to turn the PW in to mana dorks. Seems to be a little win-more, but sometimes even having the 2 extra mana works well.

Big problem this deck has are Haste creatures and, as mentioned in the Cromax thread, a Vampire Hexmage that gets recurred from Meren. There just aren't PWs that interact with the graveyard yet that I can find. I may bring in a Bojuka Bog for that, but I'll leave it open for some comments.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ronco; 05-31-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Re: Atraxa Superfriends

First changes that I didn't realize I needed to make were additional allied fetches and better, lower cost wraths. Will update when the changes are made.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Hey ronco! Looks good in here.

My first thought is 'Needs more Doubling Season!' Things get out of hand for your opponents quickly when you proliferate with DS out.

Scavenging Ooze might be worth it if Meren/Hexmage are a big factor!

Edit - Perhaps Shalai, Voice of Plenty is better?

Good call on the shalai! That one completely slipped my mind. Scooze was in the original build (+1/+1 counters can be proliferated), as was DRS as a mana dork, but i found that i had too many wrath effects and it ended up kind of battling myself with it. Maybe I need to rethink it for that matchup. Also, you have a MUCH higher PW density than I do (33 vs 20). Part of that is you are in red but if I am going to try and push through Genesis wave type cards for 8, i want to make them count.

Doubling season is "on the list" to get. I forgot to get it on my most recent TCG order, so that will get in eventually. Also hoping it comes down a little bit in price from battlebond, but I think people forgot about that set already. I might pick up some of those lands too to swap out for my ETB tapped tri lands. We'll see.

I just kind of threw cards together for this and the layout here like you had really opened up my eyes to some holes/redundancies, so just putting it in this format is pretty helpful already! I'm pretty new to EDH so I'm not used to deck building this way.

Quick updates, as promised:

Adds:
    Damnation
    Supreme Verdict
    terminus
    Wooded Foothills
    Flooded Strand

Removed:

Winds of Rath
    Languish
    Sublime Exhalation
    Terramorphic Expanse
    Evolving wilds

Simply just replaced with better/more efficient ones versions.

out:
    Plains
    Ranger's Path

in
    Krosan Verge
    Skyshroud claim

slight upgrades here, I think.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I think Walk the Aeons is superior to Karn's Temporal Sundering. For the same CMC you get an extra turn spell you can cast without prerequisites that doesn't exile itself, so you can take infinite turns with Venser, the Sojourner and Eternal Witness.

Temporal Manipulation too, but that's a $60 card...

Edit - There's a decent argument that Coalition Relic is better than Darksteel Ingot since your Commander proliferates.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Edit - There's a decent argument that Coalition Relic is better than Darksteel Ingot since your Commander proliferates.
    Is it? Atraxa proliferates at your end step, and the counters come off of your relic in main phase 1. Either way you do it (charge in main phase 2 to proliferate or charge in opponents turn and tap it for mana) you're still only netting 2 mana. Granted, that is one more mana than Ingot will ever give you, but I think I'd run Chromatic Lantern before either of those in a 4 color deck.

The other consideration is whether indestructible is more relevant than an extra mana. Depending on the meta it may very well be.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Tap in second main to proliferate to 2 counters eot (four if/when he gets Doubling Season), so it'll always provide 2 mana, but it can provide 3 on a critical turn. Not saying I'm right, just that there's an argument to be made that it's better than Ingot.

Hadn't thought of coalition relic. May have to look into that one. I've actually reduced the artifact mana because of surprisingly abundant artifact spot removal and shifted to the green land searches. But it may be worth it to test out.

Temporal Manipulation is on my radar with UMA, hoping the reprint drives the price down considerably but yes, a non-exile turns card would be better than Karn's. Chromatic lantern was also considered, but i have found its rare that i don't have the colors i need, surprisingly. I've actually had more problems of being stuck on 3 lands, needing a 4th, or something like that.

also, Ace, confirming animatou is pretty stellar in this build. The blink effect is very strong (esp with a proliferate out to not go too far down on loyalty) but also can set up miracle plays in a pinch or do a mini brainstorm-fetch. Thanks for pointing that out in the other thread. Would have never tried it based on the ultimate being a kind of drawback, imo.

guess what came in the mail today?

In:
    Doubling Season

Out:
    Rhystic Study

Looks like my graveyard woes may soon be a thing of the past...

Ever so slightest change :
    -1 swamp
    +1 bojuka bog

Will probably be looking at upgrading some PWs soon. I was initially hesitant to go for the uncommon ones in WAR but maybe with the proliferating/doubling season it might be worth it to check out. Also got a vampiric tutor that wants to go in my Maren deck but might put it in here instead, because I play this one the most by far.

Since it is the new hotness...
    + Oko
    -Ever-watching threshold

Once the tri lands come out (and hopefully drop in price) they will swap for my current cycle lands most likely (both are fetchable and ETB tapped anyway), until i get more duals.

Will likely also drop the primeval's glorious rebirth for the WBG ultimatum. May need to re-work the mana base for BBB but we'll see how things turn out. There's always urborg.

out:
    Irrigated Farmland
    Fetid Pools

in:
    Indatha triome
    zagoth triome

Thought about pulling the non-cycling, non-fetchable tri lands out, but since all come in to play tapped, this seemed like a more sturdy manabase. I don't usualyl run out of fetch targets anyway, so i'm not too worried about that right now.

Thread Information