Thread: [EDH] Admiral Beckett Brass - Casual Pirate/thievery theme

[EDH] Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourges - Casual Chaos/thievery theme

39 Lands

25 Scoundrels

These are the "Pirates." There were quite a few in there in the initial build and far too many to be efficient in a long/big game. So this list will get trimmed up for more piratey spells in the coming updates.

36 Other Cards

The General

Originally this started off as a Ramirez deck, but I wanted to get red in for some fun spells, so I switched to Beckett. Also, Ramirez is just a very overcosted beater so no sense having him in there leading the charge. Obviously there are zero non-permanent spells, so that will change quickly, as will an improved mana base. Just wanted to get something sleeves up and working so far.

First additions (once I can get my next order in) will be a Liliana Vess and Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver to steal my opponents creatures, and then some shocks lands and fetches and maybe another check or two (Dragonskull Summit and Sulfur falls). Then some treachery, control magic, and the like will work their way in here. The likely culprits to remove are some of the weaker pirates and equipment/vehicles. Since this is more casual themed, not really needing much mental energy put into this, just liking the layout to see the deck and make/track edits and figured I'd let everyone follow along.
    Last edited by ronco; 02-17-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Re: [EDH] Admiral Beckett Brass - Casual Pirate/thievery theme

Just like that, updates already. Went through my PW collection and saw quite a few "gain control of" abilities. so we'll throw them all at the wall and see what sticks. Will probably whittle down to the 1 walker rule eventually but we'll see. That's a different deck with different rules :)

in:
    Watery Grave
    Fiery Cannonade
    Unclaimed territory
    Dack Fayden
    Nicol Bolas, God-Pharoah
    Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
    Treachery
    Liliana, the Necromancer (meh, not sure on this one, but I'm going to test the waters to see)
    Jace, Ingenius Mind-Mage
    Tezzeret, Master of Metal
    Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded
    Soring Markov
    Liliana Vess

What is this, pirate superfriends? Sheesh...

out:
    Island
    Mountain
    Brazen Bucaneers
    Brazen Freebooter
    Grappling Hook
    Cobbled wings
    Consulate dreadnought
    Elixer of Immortality
    Rowdy Crew
    Sleek Schooner
    Siren Lookout
    Dire Fleet Interloper
    Ring of Evos Isle
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Minor changes to the mana base and a touch more thievery.
    In:

Desertion
    Lightning Greaves
    Chromatic Lantern
    Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
    Morphic Pool
    Dragonskull Summit
    Blood Crypt
    Luxury Suite
    Sulfur Falls
    Seat of the Synod

Out:
    Manalith (chromatic is better)
    Swiftfoot Boots (greaves is cheaper to activate)
    Tomb Robber (Pirate with some filtering, but want to try more theivery)
    Storm Fleet Spy (card draw too conditional)
    3 Mountain
    1 Island
    2 Swamp

Cards I will probably work in:
    Misdirection (or some similar effects)
    Card draw (being in blue and black, shouldn't' be to hard).
    A few more graveyard stealers. Just need to get my hands on a few more.
    A wrath or two. Or some spot removal. The deck can run into problems in that it can be a bit reactive and as a 1 off. So it needs to have better reset buttons I think.

Bribery can be an absolute backbreaker against the right decks. Two games in a row I stole a Gisela, Blade of Goldnight which the opponent had, somehow, no answer to (or coudln't find any). So many fun creatures one can grab in EDH that way!

Making notes to look into for later, first one courtesy of Davran's Diaochan deck.
    Insurrection
    The mana cost is a bit high, but maybe I put in more treasure generating pirates or ramp spells. Not a lot outside of green and artifacts, but i haven't done much work on the artifact mana base, so maybe worn powerstone, dream hedronp, and the like will make an appearance.

Having a way to dispose of temporarily stolen creatures would be nice too (Goblin bombardment is the easy answer, but maybe there are better ones, like reusable fling effects).

Also, probably going to drop the pirate theme and just go with a thievery theme, and include some non-pirates such as
    Wrexial, the risen deep
    Etali, primal storm

And the red dragon that exiles cards from defending player's library when it is dealt damage, and I can cast them. That might be nice with myriad... stay tuned for that one.
    edit, adding:
    mass mutiny from Davran's suggestion.
    Last edited by ronco; 11-27-2018 at 01:14 PM.

In:
    Steam Vents
    Island
    Swamp

Out:
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Halimar Depths
    Mortuary Mire

I am not a fan of the bounce lands and other two that CIPT. Bojuka bog at least has some use but the other two seem to be meh and would be better served by untapped basics.

Leaning more towards dropping pirate as a condition and jacking about with more hardcore thievery. I mean Davey Jones had a kraken, right?

More minor changes. Ordered some fun goodies so ill make a few more substantial changes in a bit. News: No longer strict pirate requirement. Maybe I'll eventually get an arcane adaptation/conspiracy thing going to make them all pirates again. But for now, Just focusing on stealing.

out:
    Dusk Legion Dreadnought
    Deadeye Quartermaster
    Fell Flagship
    Conquerer's Galleon

In:
    Mirage Mirror
    Thief of Sanity
    The eldest reborn
    Wrexial, the Risen Deep

May have to change the commander here. Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge is the right color and has the right effect with no need to be on tribal. Highly likely that since I'm going off pirates tribal I switch to her. This deck is shaping up to be quite chaotic (big change coming in a few days, USPS permitting), but its totally fun. At least from my perspective. And VERY political haha.

Basically I'm going to be ripping cards off other peoples decks and casting them, swapping control of creatures opponents control (sometimes even just switching between opponents), and redistributing permanents owned across the battlefield, including my own! Madness!

That said, its a very mana heavy deck. Aside from the usual suspects of mana rocks, are there good mana ramps in Grixis colors? Trove of Temptation, Captain Lannery Storm and Brass's Bounty are the only ones that i can think of off the top of my head (other than ritual effects). Hence why Explorer's scope was in there, and it proves quite useful oddly enough.

Trove seems a little too risky as the deck can be a bit slow. But I can test it out. Need more tutors (budget will do for now), maybe I'll go with the chaos theme with Sunbird's Invocation. If Im gonna go jank, might as well go full on!

I can't think of anything off, the top of my head, to add that would be thematic but what about Future Sight? That card is sweet.

EDIT: If you want more ramp, Gilded Lotus is nice.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

I agree that it is, and since the deck is quite chaotic like that, it may just be thematic after all!

Big mail day today:
    In:

Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge - new commander! (may need to increase the amount of instants and sorceries to take full advantage, but running with it for now)
    Shivan Reef
    Temple of Deceit
    Temple of Epiphany
    Gonti, Lord of Luxury
    Dragonlord Silumagar
    Endless Whispers
    Dualcaster Mage
    Perplexing Chimera
    Shared Fate
    Illusionist's Gambit
    Sepulchral Primordial
    Baleful Strix
    Praetor's Grasp
    Sudden Spoiling
    Clever Impersonator
    Etali, Primal Storm
    Stolen Strategy
    Treasury Nabber
    Slave of Bolas
    Hellkite Tyrant
    The Scarab God
    Dominus of Fealty
    Olivia Voldaren

Out:

Admiral Becket Brass
    Rakdos Carnarium
    Cinder Barrens
    Unclaimed Territory
    Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
    Smuggler's Copter
    Captain's Hook
    Marauding Looter
    Dreamcaller siren
    Forefunner of the Coalition
    timestream Navigator
    Angrath, Minotaur Pirate
    Sorin Markov
    Deadeye Brawler
    Deadeye Plunderer's - this one I'm not so sure on removing. Helps get the color i need and can get decently sized. Plays well with Hellkite Tyrant as well.
    Fathom Fleet Captain
    Fiery Cannonade
    Storm Fleet arsonist
    Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded
    Ruthless Knave - Needs an outlet for stolen creatures. Not sure on removing this one either, but can always bring in goblin bombardment or the like.
    Dire fleet poisoner
    Rishadan Brigand
    Bomat Bazaar Barge
    Deadeye Tracker

The Pws weren't reliable or menacing enough, so i took those out. May strip a few more out but we shall see. Looking forward to testing this new chaos build out.

EDIT - apparently I have either 1 too many cards in my deck or I missed an update from earlier. Have 100 + the commander. So I'll need to figure that out.
    Last edited by ronco; 12-13-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Deck lacks in removal when it can't steal. also some creatures/equipment isn't really doing much any more. Deck also needs come mana boost and since i can't ramp lands in these colors I can ramp rocks instead!

In:
    Vesuvan Doppelganger
    Decree of Pain
    In Garruk's Wake
    Annihilate
    Indulgent tormentor
    Extract from Darkness
    Telemin Performance
    Rise of the Dark Realms
    Nicol Bolas, the Ravager
    Underground River
    Nightveil Specter
    Worn Powerstone
    Thran Dynamo

Maybe Bolas becomes the new commander and this becomes an oops all bolas deck?

out:
    Explorer's Scope
    Mind Stone
    Captain Lannery Storm
    Dismal Backwater
    Dire Fleet Ravager
    Hedonist's Trove
    Shared Fate
    Angrath's Marauders
    Praetor's Grasp
    Jace, Ingenious Mind-Mage
    Tezzeret, Master of Metal
    Liliana, the Necromancer
    Illusionist's Gambit

the PWs werent really strong enough to warrant inclusion, and praetors grasp doesn't let me use any mana to cast, so it isn't as good as it seems. Land upgrade should seem obvious, and Trove/Shared fate were just not really doing what I wanted.

Swapping out the artifact lands for basics. No need to have additional artifact destruction targets.... will update main list tomorrow.

tested it out against a mono green stompy deck last night. Used liliana vess -2 to tutor up a sol ring to cast a decree of pain (into a vorinclex and a board full of creatures) and wound up getting responded with that kaladesh/aether revolt card that gives all his dudes indestructable. FML. Had him to 11 and might have been the game pending the next few turns. Did better than I thought 1v1 even though it isn't really meant for it. But the ETB tapped lands REALLY hurt. The check lands coming in online earlier might have made a difference here.

updated main post. Now to fix the lands (more just a note to myself):

ETB tapped, always:
    Bloodfell Caves
    Canyon Slough
    Jwar Isle Refuge
    Fetid Pools
    Temple of Deceit
    Highland Lake
    Sulfur Falls
    Temple of Epiphany
    Evolving Wilds
    Crypt of the Eternals
    Crumbling Necropolis
    Bojuka Bog

ETB tapped, conditional (i'm leaving the BBD dual lands as I generally play 3 players or more):
    Dragonskull summit
    Sunken Hollow
    Drowned Catacomb

Bog provides a useful ETB, as do the temples (in a limited way at least) so I'm not too worried about those. AKH duals aren't too bad as they can be fetched EOT and provide basic types for checks. Adding just a couple more basics will help with the check lands, so that problem may go away. I don't have the funds for duals ATM so those are out. Some things to work in:

Flooded Strand/Polluted Delta/Wooded Foothills/Teramorphic Expanse (maybe - helps get the right basic out if nothing else). If they ever reprint the enemy fetches and they come down in price I'll definitely get those but those are just too much for now.

Mana confluence/Reflecting pool/Exotic and/or Forbidden orchard (maybe). Also can look into the fast land (darkslick shores, etc) cycle. Urborg might help too.

Current board wipes are expensive mana wise, so Toxic Deluge and/or damnation needs to be in here. Inferno or earthquake might be good too. Red has lots of fun cards that are viable options.

in:
    Nightscape familiar
    inferno

out:
    Animate Dead
    endless whispers

Endless whispers got a little too crazy, but i'm keeping it out in case i change my mind on it. Got to play two games vs the previously mentioned mono green stompy EDH and handled it well both times. Didn't get to cast some of the new cards, but the thievery was just spectacular. Nothing like tapping out to steal a vorinclex. I think at one point i had 3 or 4 of his creatures, which he then had to turn into basic forests to deal with. Treachery, Sepulchuran primodrial, and ashiook did the dirty work.

Minor update:

out:
    crypt of the eternals
    rogue's passage

in:
    reflecting pool
    exotic orchard

rouge's was a holdout from a different version of the deck to sneak crafty dues through but it doens't do much nowadays. need the potentially colored mana more. crypt is slow, well see if i miss it.

Thread Information