Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Magic Fun Again - A new format where every single card is legal as long as...

Re: Making Magic Fun Again - A new format where every single card is legal as long as

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    The whole point is to have a clearly defined rule we would all have to abide by to serve three roles, make sure creature decks are viable again, allow for competive decks to be built on a budget so people who don't have expensive cards don't feel excluded, ensure the games are more fun.

I don't see how this would not be achieved by the rule...
    Nonbasic lands are banned
    Every other legacy legal card is legal

That should lead to a balanced format where creature based strategies would thrive and budget decks are more viable. Is there any flaw in that ruleset?
    First thing that comes to mind to me is High Tide, which doesn't seem conducive to creature decks being good (especially with Frantic Search legal).

A format my buddies and I used to play was a sort of highlander thing where you played 60 card decks, but you chose 3 colors, and you had to have something like at least ten cards of each color, and I think a certain number of each card type. The idea was that since it's highlander, the games will be varied, and it's harder to make a good combo deck because you only have one copy of each piece.

Re: Making Magic Fun Again - A new format where every single card is legal as long as

The whole point is to have a clearly defined rule we would all have to abide by to serve three roles, make sure creature decks are viable again, allow for competive decks to be built on a budget so people who don't have expensive cards don't feel excluded, ensure the games are more fun.

Every other legacy legal card is legal

That should lead to a balanced format where creature based strategies would thrive and budget decks are more viable. Is there any flaw in that ruleset?
    No. It won't. Under this proposed format, Elves, Dredge, and Reanimator can all win on turn 2, and that's just off the top of my head. Just play Pauper or Peasant or something. Your proposed format sucks, and we've all been pretty polite trying to point that out to you gently, but you just can't seem to understand the basic concept: An eternal format without Force of Will or a banlist as large as the encyclopedia DOESN'T FUCKING WORK.

There are already a dozen goddamned alternative formats that do what you say you want: Modern, Pauper, Peasant, Commander, Post-Modern, etc. etc. Go play one of those and be happy.

Have you guys read the posts that you're quoting.

It doesn't seem like you even read what I wrote before criticizing it.

Read again the post you quoted please...
    "Nonbasic lands are banned
    Every other legacy legal card is legal"

What about that quote makes you think FoW would NOT be legal in this format?
    What about that quote makes you think Frantic Search would be legal in this format?

I am open to feedback that actually addresses the proposal that you quoted. Thank you.

High tide
    Burn
    Belcher
    Mono black reanimator
    Oops all spells
    MonoR sneack attack / trough the breach (not sure for this one, lack the acceleration of sol lands)
    Elves
    OmniShow
    Pox
    Mono G enchantress
    (Mono G) infect
    Dredge
    Stax ?

Add to that the fact that only basics -> no 3 color decks and hard times to have bicolor deck. Daze becomes impossible to play outside monoblue and even Force of Will becomes much worse outside monoblue (harder time to construct bicolor deck, and the cantrip shell becomes less good without fetchlands, so harder to have the blue count for FoW).

I am open to feedback that actually addresses the proposal that you quoted. Thank you.
    As a general comment: It seems like you're (more or less) randomly changing stuff and hoping that "fun" magically pops out the other end.

Just because we can't immediately find degenerate things doesn't mean there's a lack of them. It also doesn't help that it's not clear what "fun" is.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    You're not looking for a new format, you're looking for casual games.

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    The idea was that since it's highlander, the games will be varied, and it's harder to make a good combo deck because you only have one copy of each piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    An eternal format without Force of Will or a banlist as large as the encyclopedia DOESN'T WORK.
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    As a general comment: It seems like you're (more or less) randomly changing stuff and hoping that "fun" magically pops out the other end.

Just because we can't immediately find degenerate things doesn't mean there's a lack of them. It also doesn't help that it's not clear what "fun" is.

I personnally thought a lot about this issue about ten years ago and ended up optimizing through the years a format that takes into account several elements I quoted.
    Rules have first and foremost been thought in order to maximize the fun and it is very low budget, possibly free.
    Some of you may be disappointed about not being able to build your own deck, but in ten years I still haven't find someone who didn't like this multiplayer format format after testing, even the guys that love deckbuilding.
    My format is optimized for games at 3-4-5 players, but some guys adapted the decklist choices for duels (mostly by removing cards that are too powerful and cards that draw too much).
    Links are in my signature but I will copy them below. I barely made any publicity for it even thought I was updating it in english in case of.

This link is for historical update but start there to read the 'General Rules' in the Cube description box (on the right of the page) and see how it is played :
    http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/5649

The visual spoiler to see how it looks :
    http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/5649

The decklist with card names :
    http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/5649
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Quote Originally Posted by Matsaya View Post
    High tide
    Burn
    Belcher
    Mono black reanimator
    Oops all spells
    MonoR sneack attack / trough the breach (not sure for this one, lack the acceleration of sol lands)
    Elves
    OmniShow
    Pox
    Mono G enchantress
    (Mono G) infect
    Dredge
    Stax ?

Add to that the fact that only basics -> no 3 color decks and hard times to have bicolor deck. Daze becomes impossible to play outside monoblue and even Force of Will becomes much worse outside monoblue (harder time to construct bicolor deck, and the cantrip shell becomes less good without fetchlands, so harder to have the blue count for FoW).
    That sounds like a great and fun environment actually. Add Mono Blue Delver with FoW/Daze as a check on some of the combo decks on to that list.

None of those decks would be degenerate or oppressive of aggro strategies. For example, omnitell without access to nonbasics and with a nerfed Brainstorm would actually be a fair deck.

I am going to ask the mods to lock this thread so that I can start a thread titled...

"Basic Legacy: What would a variant legacy format in which all nonbasic lands are banned looked like? Would it be more fun? More budget friendly? Friendlier to fair decks and aggro strategies?"

I think that should avoid some of the confusion that stems from my confusing OP.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It seems like you're (more or less) randomly changing stuff and hoping that "fun" magically pops out the other end.
    To be fair, that's pretty much what WotC is doing too...

Thread Information