Thread: Seeking advice about buying into Legacy.

Seeking advice about buying into Legacy.

Hi everyone,

For 2019, I've been planning on buying back into Legacy in paper, as opposed to just grinding matches on MTGO. SCG Syracuse was going to be my first big paper event, but it's just not working out given the close of busy season for my work. That said, there's a Channel Fireball store near me that runs 1K events every couple weeks/month, so it seems like a good way to get used to playing paper again before I head out to an event in the spring/summer.

Anywho, context aside, the issue I'm running into is how to go about buying up cards given the increasing amount of references and such to fake cards in tournaments and eternal formats. I don't really mind buying back in after the price spike, but I don't want to be punting money onto fake cards that get me DQ'd, ya know?

I'm not really savvy to these collector/trade FB groups or things like that, and I don't really want to be hunting people down, jeweler's lens ready, to examine and buy up cards from dozens of different people. Is there an online site anyone could recommend that looks out for fakes among their stock, or any online store you trust in particular to provide legit singles?

Additionally, are there any tips for people moving into paper from playing online? I figure most people are used to the opposite scenario, getting used to MTGO, but I've been playing digital card games for nearly 4 years, so it's been a while since I've had to keep track of everything without a computer.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: Seeking advice about buying into Legacy.

Hey, welcome back, wonderPreaux. First of all, most cards are real, so the pure odds are on your side. Second, most fakes are easy to tell if you have handled a lot of cards. They look off and they feel off. If you're buying expensive cards off a fellow player, you should inspect them. Thirdly, most large online shops monitor for fakes, so you shouldn't need to worry if you're buying from them. If you're buying on Craigslist or from too-good-to-be-true eBay listings, then you should be wary. I personally believe that having a loupe is the best defense and is simply a smart thing to do. It's a very inexpensive item to pick up on Amazon or elsewhere, and using it will remove any doubt as to whether a card is legit or counterfeit, for those rare cases when it isn't immediately obvious. The peace of mind you'll gain will be wonderful.

With your "keep track of everything" question, can you be more specific?

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

You might want to consider supporting the Channel Fireball store that is hosting legacy tournaments unless their singles are grossly priced.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If you buy off of non retailers online be sure to use paypals goods and services rather than friends and family if you have any hesitance at all about a deal. That way if the cards dont get there or are fakes you can get your money back. I've seen too many people buy things online and then say they got scammed by fakes and they say "well the seller insisted I pay Friends and Family". That's how you get screwed. There is 0 reason for them to not accept Goods and Services payments especially if you are the one eating the cost
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, like most things, you'll get what you pay for. So, if you aim to pay the least possible, you will get the most hassle. Which CFB's prices are likely pretty high, along with places like StarCity and ABU, they likely would give you the least amount to worry about, plus the ease of either buying in person or with a cart on their website.

If you want to pay a little less and are open to doing a bit more "work" in messaging and talking to various sources, there are plenty of legit, reputable people who sell on Facebook and the like. I think it's likely a losing proposition to be buying RL cards from randos on the Internet. Get yourself a list of reputable sellers, make a list of what you want and what you'd reasonably pay, then message each one and see what they can do for you. Most reputable sellers have way more than what they post, plus most are likely willing to give you more off if you buy a bunch a time.

Also, don't cheap out at the end, pay for the tracking and the insurance. It's just not worth the risk to save literally a few dollars. And to echo what Mehadeus said, eat the extra couple percent and pay Goods and Services.

I'd list some people I know of, but I don't want anyone to think I am advertising or some shit.
    Last edited by H; 12-10-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Everyone here has great advice.

I personally have had great experiences on the facebook groups for great deals on cards, all have been real, and communication has been good.

I ALWAYS do goods/services on paypal. the 6% is worth it, as everyone has already said.

You will save a ton of money that way.

Being said, if you are overconcerned, which I err on the side of, then the big stores are a good way to go. If you play at Channel Fireball, send them some business.

Non-reserved stuff tends to be much cheaper, if not obvious. Now is a good time to buy a lot of stuff due to UMA. It may be hard to trade if you are starting from 0.

Might help if we knew what deck as well.

edit-ALWAYS loupe anything over $20 really. New Holograms help. (double edit-trust but verify, most are real)

Just buy a loupe. You need one now. They're cheap. Get one with a light.

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post

I personally have had great experiences on the facebook groups for great deals on cards, all have been real, and communication has been good.

I ALWAYS do goods/services on paypal. the 6% is worth it, as everyone has already said.

Being said, if you are overconcerned, which I err on the side of, then the big stores are a good way to go. If you play at Channel Fireball, send them some business.

Non-reserved stuff tends to be much cheaper, if not obvious. Now is a good time to buy a lot of stuff due to UMA. It may be hard to trade if you are starting from 0.

Might help if we knew what deck as well.

edit-ALWAYS loupe anything over $20 really. New Holograms help. (double edit-trust but verify, most are real)

Loupes are always a good idea, but I don't use one anymore.
    I've actually found that with newer smart phones, if you download a magnification app, you can verify rosettes and layered printing quite easily.

Also, I've actually found eBay to be a reputable place to buy, since eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer on claims and they are very strict on counterfeits, because they themselves can run into issues if they are found to be harboring counterfeiters (not just cards, watches, clothes, purses, etc.).
    Great deals can be had on eBay when they are running coupon deals (15-20% off, usually).

You guys certainly do, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    First of all, most cards are real, so the pure odds are on your side. Second, most fakes are easy to tell if you have handled a lot of cards. They look off and they feel off. If you're buying expensive cards off a fellow player, you should inspect them. Thirdly, most large online shops monitor for fakes, so you shouldn't need to worry if you're buying from them. If you're buying on Craigslist or from too-good-to-be-true eBay listings, then you should be wary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    If you buy off of non retailers online be sure to use paypals goods and services rather than friends and family if you have any hesitance at all about a deal. That way if the cards dont get there or are fakes you can get your money back. I've seen too many people buy things online and then say they got scammed by fakes and they say "well the seller insisted I pay Friends and Family". That's how you get screwed. There is 0 reason for them to not accept Goods and Services payments especially if you are the one eating the cost

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    Also, I've actually found eBay to be a reputable place to buy, since eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer on claims and they are very strict on counterfeits, because they themselves can run into issues if they are found to be harboring counterfeiters (not just cards, watches, clothes, purses, etc.).
    Great deals can be had on eBay when they are running coupon deals (15-20% off, usually).
    Well, I'm glad to hear the counterfeit thing isn't widespread or anything, I guess it's one of those things that got overblown to me because I get seeing it when I was researching buying back in.

It sounds like my best bet is probably giving my LGS a look for some deals, and then leaning on the online shops for the rest. The buyer protection tips are pretty cool to hear, though, I don't even think I knew about that Paypal thing the last time I was buying cards a few years ago.

I personally believe that having a loupe is the best defense and is simply a smart thing to do. It's a very inexpensive item to pick up on Amazon or elsewhere, and using it will remove any doubt as to whether a card is legit or counterfeit, for those rare cases when it isn't immediately obvious. The peace of mind you'll gain will be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    Loupes are always a good idea, but I don't use one anymore.
    I've actually found that with newer smart phones, if you download a magnification app, you can verify rosettes and layered printing quite easily.

Is there a guide or chart somewhere for what details to look for in terms of patterns and such for real cards? I have some older cards I could look through to get used to using a magnifier/loop.

With your "keep track of everything" question, can you be more specific?
    Well, I've been playing MTGO and Hearthstone for the past 5ish years, so I'm a bit out of practice with the ettiquette and cues of paper.

One thing someone IRL pointed out to me is that I should be cognizant of time, since there's no timer for my opponent's or my plays, which is probably really good advice. And, being a Storm combo player, I'm looking around at the various accessories people like to bring around for tracking mana and the like.

I figure, I'd rather know in advance the things to keep in mind before I get angle-shot or earn myself an infraction.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate the thorough response.

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the advice on buying up cards; it went really smoothly buying online, and I picked up a few nice deals trekking around to various shops.

A month-and-half, a few thousand dollars, and dozens of hours of alterations later, I can now bring you: The Nega-Cook

I'm also finishing up alters on a pile of extras to have ANT built as well. This was a lot of fun to put together.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the advice on buying up cards; it went really smoothly buying online, and I picked up a few nice deals trekking around to various shops.

A month-and-half, a few thousand dollars, and dozens of hours of alterations later, I can now bring you: The Nega-Cook

I'm also finishing up alters on a pile of extras to have ANT built as well. This was a lot of fun to put together.
    That's uh... Certainly one way to do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I think it would be cheaper to buy BB duals than downgrade your storm deck :D /jk

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

White border cards... slowly dying inside...

Thread Information