Thread: [SCD] Gates

[SCD] Gates

So this got spoiled:

Gate Colossus 8
    Artifact Creature
    Costs 1 less for each Gate you control.
    Can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
    Whenever you play a Gate, if this is in your graveyard, you can put it on top of your library.
    8/8

So we've also got Maze's End, Circuitous Route, Crackling Perimeter, District Guide, Gatecreeper Vine, Guild Summit - which is almost a one-sided Horn of Greed, Saruli Gatekeepers

So at what point can you make some kind of turboland Gate deck? Or does the citp bit just make it impossible? Amulet of Vigor can actually make that a positive in multiples. Manabond can get a ton of lands onto the battlefield in a hurry, as can Summer Bloom and Exploration. Ramunap Excavator and Crucible are options too if you're just dumping lands in the 'yard.

I dunno, it might not be remotely competitive, but it feels like they're getting close to something here. I mean, Crackling Perimeter is basically a better Hecatomb AND a better Koth ultimate, all for only 2 mana. (better because you can use any Gate, not better in that it doesn't hit critters)

Like I said, I dunno, I think we're maybe 1 or 2 more solid cards away from something. See what else this set brings. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [SCD] Gates

Doesn't Blood Moon delete the Gate subtype while it's on the battlefield? I don't think a strategy that gets extra hard destroyed by BM is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Doesn't Blood Moon delete the Gate subtype while it's on the battlefield? I don't think a strategy that gets extra hard destroyed by BM is a good idea.
    I don't know if it does or not. But counterpoint: a fast Blood Moon trashes a large portion of the format. Especially most land-based plans. So I don't know if that's really a huge downside. If Blood Moon doesn't delete the subtype, well, then.. bonus?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I tried this a while ago with Manabond and Treasure Hunt. Getting a free/cheap dude as a backup win/con or just to hold off threats (8/8 is pretty big) is definitely an upgrade. It's just so rough that the lands enter tapped...it really slows things down and opens you up to mana disruption. Pithing Needle and Amulet of Vigor?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I just don't know if the payoff is worth it. Especially when you compare it to say 12 post. 12 post you make like 4 uninterrupted land drops and you're hard casting ulamog and emrakul. I like the thought and I'd be interested in a trade for deck list, I'm just not sure that it isn't just a worse post deck
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Lands that enter the battlefield tapped need a VERY good reason to be in your deck. In 12 post the reason is they tap for a ton of mana, and sorta-kinda only the first one enters tapped (since the second one increases the first one's output, you still get a mana out of it). Gates don't. So you need all these other cards to make them anywhere near playable, and you'll always be a turn behind.
    Also, they're all Modern legal so why not build there?
    Also also: Yes they lose their gate type during the Blood Moon. Most type changing effects include an "in addition to their other types" clause. (That's the assignment operator vs the plus equals operator for you OOP players) Blood moon, notoriously, doesn't. Blood Sun would do nothing to your deck because all those nifty enchantments have the ability, not the lands.

Oh, you're totally right, it might work better in Modern.

The reason I liked the idea of Legacy is for Amulet of Vigor and Exploration, and Summer Bloom.

Honestly I was thinking you might try to run just 10-12 gates, and then use search like Vine, Guide, and Route to find them while still running a "real" manabase and deck around them. To an extent though it still depends on what else we get in spoilers for the new set.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Oh, you're totally right, it might work better in Modern.

The reason I liked the idea of Legacy is for Amulet of Vigor and Exploration, and Summer Bloom.

Honestly I was thinking you might try to run just 10-12 gates, and then use search like Vine, Guide, and Route to find them while still running a "real" manabase and deck around them. To an extent though it still depends on what else we get in spoilers for the new set.
    Those are powerful cards for sure. My version played 40 (yes 40) lands alongside 4x Manabond, 4x Treasure Hunt, 4x Amulet of Vigor, 4x Ponder, 4x Crop Rotation. It was glass cannon for sure, hoping to resolve a Treasure Hunt into Manabond, dump my hand, win the same turn with Amulet or the next turn with Maze. I could easily see 4x Dark Depths 4x Thespians Stage being added as an alternative win condition to Maze's End.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I dont think the payoff is nearly good enough that you would be playing gates as your cipt land instead of karoos in modern or posts in legacy. As far as janky lands decks go, I want to see someone make a Treasure Hunt Scouting Trek deck.

Thread Information