Thread: The Replenish Conjecture

The Replenish Conjecture

The new(ish) enchantment from Dominaria called The Mirari Conjecture is a saga-type enchantment with 3 effects:
    1. Regrowth an instant
    2. Regrowth a sorcery
    3. Pyromancer Ascension (copy all instant and sorcery spells that you cast) until the end of the turn

An interesting interaction with this card is that the second effect of the Saga can return Replenish from the graveyard, and Replenish can return the saga. The final stage of the saga will copy the Replenish meaning that your opponent needs 2 counterspells to stop the loop from going off.

The other interesting element of this interaction is that you can cast Gifts Ungiven for Replenish, Conjecture, Enchantment A, and Enchantment B. At minimum you will get enchantment A and B, because if your opponent gives you Replenish or the Saga you will eventually recur all of it. Gifts Ungiven is also a powerful instant you can return with the first stage of the saga. If you have Replenish in your hand already you can just Gifts for 4 Enchantments.

The rest of the deck is going to be a mostly generic UW control deck. The balance of cards seems difficult to choose exactly because the deck wants a certain number of instants and sorceries for The Mirari's Conjecture to work well, but also wants a lot of enchantments to get a big replenish payoff. You also want a certain density of cheap enchantments so that you can use Serra's Sanctum to accelerate your 4 and 5 mana spells.

Spreading Seas seems like an okay card at the moment because it's quite disruptive vs Depths/Post/Eldrazi. It's a cheap cantripping enchantment which helps for Serra's Sanctum and keeps the blue count up for FoW. Another card that has been getting a lot of hype from enchantress players recently is Estrid's Invocation. A commonly suggested use for this is to copy Abundant Growth as a draw engine while being able to copy other enchantments as needed. This list probably won't play green but you can get the draw engine aspect by copying Spreading Seas, and Estrid's Invocation is also nuts with The Mirari Conjecture. (ETB copy conjecture, return instant, upkeep blink copy conjecture return instant, move to mainphase return sorcery).

Opal Wave seems like a solid choice for the A+B combo (unfortunately there is no double-enchantment equivalent of e.g. RIP-Helm that just wins the game afaik) and then the rest of the deck is just removal, disruption, maybe 1-2 wincons.

Maybe this idea is too durdly/stupid but it seems like it could be a fun thing to try, and if you get time to set up it seems like the lategame clearly goes over the top of most things. Spreading Seas seems like an effective way of attacking a lot of the bad matchups for miracles.

20 Land (Strand, Tundra, Island, Plains, Serras Sanctum)

Enchantments
    2 The Mirari Conjecture
    1 Compulsion
    4 Spreading Seas
    3 Estrid's Invocation
    1 Opalescence / Starfield of Nyx
    1 Parallax Wave
    2 Porphyry Nodes
    1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
    1 Solitary Confinement
    2 Cast Out
    1 Exclusion Ritual / Reality Acid

Instants
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Gifts Ungiven
    1 Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries
    4 Ponder
    3 Replenish
    1 Council's Judgment

SB Options
    Stony Silence
    Grafdigger's Cage
    Leyline of Sanctity
    Back to Basics?
    Unburial Rites + Fatty

Re: The Replenish Conjecture

Oh boy, this looks like a spicy brew! And it has all the things I like in magic: enchantments, crazy combo's and the possibility to annoy my opponents with cards nobody plays. I guess I'll start testing this too! Thanks for the idea!

Mar 2007
    RI

The Replenish Conjecture

An A+B enchantment combo from the old days was Pandemonium and Saproling Burst. Idk that it’s worth space, Pandemonium is pretty dead as a stand-alone card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    TPDMC

Quote Originally Posted by from Cairo View Post
    An A+B enchantment combo from the old days was Pandemonium and Saproling Burst. Idk that it’s worth space, Pandemonium is pretty dead as a stand-alone card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Blackjack!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

What about Dovescape + Divine Visitation? While you don't win instantly, you pretty much lock the opponent out while getting air superiority with angels. And both cards are on color, so there's that.

Sandwurm Convergence would probably be another interesting combo partner with Dovescape.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    What about Dovescape + Divine Visitation? While you don't win instantly, you pretty much lock the opponent out while getting air superiority with angels. And both cards are on color, so there's that.

Sandwurm Convergence would probably be another interesting combo partner with Dovescape.
    True, there are a bunch of weird locks you can do with stuff like Dovescape or Zur's Weirding even if you don't win immediately

I forgot about pandaburst, the pieces aren't good enough by themselves to play over a lock I don't think, but I guess it's worth remembering

I think that this concept is way too slow - if you can lock down the opponent long enough for it to land, you're better off with JTMS or some other distinct win condition.

That said, there's potential for a lot of 'cool things' that won't win games, but are nifty. On that theme, part of me wants to see Clockspinning added to the deck for the interaction with the saga.

Release to the Wind is a nifty option for resetting the saga. It’s another blue card for FoW if needed. It’s an instant, so you can put the last lore counter on and then Release, cast the saga for free and get Release back. Could be fun to Release to the Wind your Reality Acid as well.

I feel like the problem with suggestions like Clockspinning or the other thing (Release to the Wind / Aether Tradewinds) is that the deck probably doesn't need help winning even harder if the Saga resolves

I messed around with conjecture + replenish for quite some time when DOM came out. All iterations that were tried were indeed pretty slow and had the feel of just a worse version of other existing decks. Not saying it can't be done, just sharing my experience :) (i can dig up decklists if I can find them).

Quote Originally Posted by fuyuuremaru View Post
    I messed around with conjecture + replenish for quite some time when DOM came out. All iterations that were tried were indeed pretty slow and had the feel of just a worse version of other existing decks. Not saying it can't be done, just sharing my experience :) (i can dig up decklists if I can find them).
    Yeah I'd be happy to see what other people can come up with.
    Maybe Gifts would be better as Intuition, one setup you can do is Mission Briefing + Replenish + Conjecture

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

Intuition also let's you get specifically pandemonium and saproling burst in your yard if you also play gigapede as a one of. Then you don't have to play any other enchantments really.
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by merfolkotpt View Post
    Intuition also let's you get specifically pandemonium and saproling burst in your yard if you also play gigapede as a one of. Then you don't have to play any other enchantments really.
    forgot about gigapede, that's pretty clever. was this in the original pandeburst deck?
    -rob

Dec 2014
    Philly area

A version of this deck came 14th in the 2018/12/31 Legacy challenge.

List:

Creature (4)
    3 Argothian Enchantress
    1 Doomwake Giant
    Sorcery (7)
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Living Wish
    1 Replenish
    Enchantment (29)
    4 Abundant Growth
    4 Elephant Grass
    4 Enchantress's Presence
    3 Estrid's Invocation
    2 Ground Seal
    1 Mirri's Guile
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Solitary Confinement
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    Land (20)
    1 Bayou
    10 Forest
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Savannah
    2 Serra's Sanctum
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)
    1 Argothian Enchantress
    1 Doomwake Giant
    1 Back to Basics
    2 Choke
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Karakas
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Spore Frog

Thanks but I'm aware of that list, that deck has its own separate thread.

Edit: New card

Dovin's Acuity
    1WU Enchantment
    When ~ enters the battlefield gain 2 life and draw a card.
    Whenever you cast an instant during your main phase you may return ~ to its owners hand.

Seems like a good fit for this deck.
    A strong engine with Estrid's Invocation and can self-bounce with Brainstorm or whatever instant the deck is playing
    Gain 2 life a turn with Estrids also keeps Zur's Weirding alive forever
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 01-11-2019 at 05:48 AM.

UW SAGA

3 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Tundra
    2 Plains
    5 Island

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    2 Replenish
    2 Intuition
    1 The Mirari Conjecture
    1 Mission Briefing
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Spreading Seas
    1 Dovin's Acuity
    3 Estrid's Invocation

4 Force of Will
    1 Porphyry Nodes (maybe this is a SB card)
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Detention Sphere
    1 Counterbalance
    1 Exclusion Ritual / Reality Acid
    1 Solitary Confinement

2 History of Benalia
    1 Sigil of the Empty Throne

Going to try to test this sometime, seems ok
    Counterbalance possibly should be Nevermore instead (or even Decree of Silence if you wanted to be totally batshit about it)
    Nevermore seems good as an E-tutor target against storm, but I guess Solitary also works there? You can copy it with Estrids to block both Show and Tell and Sneak Attack for example

Thread Information