Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Grixis Phoenix

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Grixis Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    Since we found a strong shell, the main thing I want to work on is reign in the ceiling of the deck to maximise the floor and consistency. These are the features that make legacy decks great usually, not their ceiling unless its from shells with a huge amount of redundancy (like reanimator).
    I kind of wonder if the fact Phoenix's wording might actually make Regrowth playable. I mean, spell, Regrowth spell, spell again is three right there. Just thinking it would be something where Snapcaster really wouldn't cut it the same way. If that spell happens to be Bolt, that is a good chunk of damage if you've got a few Phoenix in the grumper.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by youngphx View Post
    So at my lgs, my friends and I were thinking of trying out collective brutality instead of bolt. Going to try testing thatbin the next week or so. What are your thoughts on that?
    I tried CB out a bunch in the early lists. It's OK, but a bit low power level and 2 mana is a lot for this deck.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I kind of wonder if the fact Phoenix's wording might actually make Regrowth playable. I mean, spell, Regrowth spell, spell again is three right there. Just thinking it would be something where Snapcaster really wouldn't cut it the same way. If that spell happens to be Bolt, that is a good chunk of damage if you've got a few Phoenix in the grumper.
    I think Regrowth falls into what you quoted actually, it's expensive in the context of the deck and not flexible (unless you're in the very late game, which is not what the deck wants to play for) so doesn't help with its floor or consistency. The deck doesn't really struggle to trigger Phoenixes, it's finding/resolving the Buried Alive (and more specifically on time to race the opponents strategy) which is often the harder part of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

OK, I'll try and get around to trying it soon! I can see the potential. I think at the beginning I may have zoned in on just fetching Phoenixes, but it is pretty gross with YP and Therapy.

Here's a game-state that shows some of the flexibility. It came off the top in an iffy start where I'd been hit with repeated discard; it snagged 3x Dark Ritual here; guaranteed 3x spells for buried alive. (I'd already had cabal therapy extirpated at this point).

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think Regrowth falls into what you quoted actually, it's expensive in the context of the deck and not flexible (unless you're in the very late game, which is not what the deck wants to play for) so doesn't help with its floor or consistency. The deck doesn't really struggle to trigger Phoenixes, it's finding/resolving the Buried Alive (and more specifically on time to race the opponents strategy) which is often the harder part of the two.
    Fair enough, 'twas just an idea. Indeed, if the issue at hand is getting the birds in the 'yard in the first place, well, then yeah, you need something else.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by walked View Post

Here's a game-state that shows some of the flexibility. It came off the top in an iffy start where I'd been hit with repeated discard; it snagged 3x Dark Ritual here; guaranteed 3x spells for buried alive. (I'd already had cabal therapy extirpated at this point).
    Mmm this is nice! I'll give it a whirl soon as you say.

Fair enough, 'twas just an idea. Indeed, if the issue at hand is getting the birds in the 'yard in the first place, well, then yeah, you need something else.
    Yeah all good, thanks for suggesting it! The deck can play out differently to how it looks on face value and is a bit unintuitive in spots, so a lot of the common suggestions are focusing on either free spells, or something that helps the quota of 3, but in the end those two are mostly covered by the combo of Ritual and Buried Alive themselves, we just want to play towards that.
    Last edited by Whitefaces; 03-05-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Yeah all good, thanks for suggesting it! The deck can play out differently to how it looks on face value and is a bit unintuitive in spots, so a lot of the common suggestions are focusing on either free spells, or something that helps the quota of 3, but in the end the end those two are mostly covered by the combo of Ritual and Buried Alive themselves, we just want to play towards that.
    That makes sense. I guess I was also thinking how it could enable Entomb to get several birds, but like you said, at the cost of 4 mana total for 2 birds, it's likely not worth it. At that point, you really need to be worried that Daze just invalidates the whole line, really.

Seems like Mission Briefing is this but better.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa View Post
    Seems like Mission Briefing is this but better.
    Likely true. Means you don't need to be in Green, you can dump birds off the Library, especially if you put them there via Brainstorm. It's still likely too slow, versus the Buried Alive plan.

Hey Guys! Just wanted to share my card list that I was able to make my first top 8 with at the Seattle 1k this past weekend with. Feel free to tear it apart but here it is!

Creatures & Planeswalker
    3 Dark Confidant
    3 Young Pyromancer
    4 Arclight Phoenix
    1 liliana, the last hope

Instant & Sorceries
    4 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Buried Alive
    2 Daze
    3 Lotus Petal
    2 Lightning Bolt
    2 surgical extractions

Lands
    4 Polluted Dela
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

Sb:
    2 tormods crypt
    2 dragons claw
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Engineered Plague
    1 alpine moon
    2 Abrade
    2 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 spell pierce
    1 flusterstorm
    2 Echoing Truth

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Nice job! How were the Surgical Extractions and Dazes?

I'm not fully on board with cutting discard spells and a Preordain honestly, especially a Cabal Therapy.

Last night I did some exhibition matches with Phil Gallagher of Thraben University, you can find the VOD here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/401193076

We played 5 matches with Phoenix going 3-2, though I feel like I messed up one of the G3s. The was a really cool game in the middle, ~the 50 minute mark, that's well worth watching.

I found that surgicals in the main was a huge bonus. As it’s flexes to combo turn 1 without a lotus petal and allows you to protect your combo from other surgicals in the event you have to rebuild your board state. And it can also allow as another means of discard and gathering hand knowledge of your opponent when you surgical something if there’s. As for the daze, I kept a really proactive side board plan as I was consistently able to bait my opponent to try counter my combo when I’m tapped out on my turn. Or when I’m tapped out on their turn and they try and get an important card down. So I found that both of these in the main proved to be really fruitful

Played the same deck list at our weekly legacy event you can see here against Miracles, surgical and daze won me the game honestly with what I was able to disrupt.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/401301923?t=02h18m50s

Quote Originally Posted by youngphx View Post
    Played the same deck list at our weekly legacy event you can see here against Miracles, surgical and daze won me the game honestly with what I was able to disrupt.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/401301923?t=02h18m50s
    You actually cheated in that game :/ You shuffled back polluted delta and cabal therapy when the judge came to tell you that young pyromancers should be on the exile zone

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/401301923?t=02h21m45s

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay2101 View Post
    You actually cheated in that game :/ You shuffled back polluted delta and cabal therapy when the judge came to tell you that young pyromancers should be on the exile zone

Did I really??? I didn’t even notice

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay2101 View Post

I’m going to see if I can forfeit that match so the points go to her next Monday nthank you for pointing that out

Jun 2008
    Central NY

Did anyone else take the birds to GP Niagara? How did it go?

I played a more or less stock Young Pyro/Bob build in a Friday LCQ and the Main Event to some uninspired results.

The roughest matches were against Merfolk & D&T. They each had an early chalice backed up by disruptive dudes and I just couldn't find answers in time.

LCQ: 2-1
    2-0: Shared Fate
    2-1: Grixis Delver
    1-2: Eldrazi

GP: 2-3
    2-0: Infect
    2-0: Sneak and Show
    1-2: Burn
    0-2: Merfolk w/Chalice
    0-2: D&T w/Chalice

I changed it up to this storm build for the Sunday MCQ: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/127450

MCQ (storm): 3-2
    2-1: BR Reanimator
    1-2: Though-knot Affinity
    2-0: Stoneblade
    2-0: Grixis Delver
    0-2: Grixis Delver

I liked the storm build a lot more. It felt very powerful - I had a lot of turn 1/2 Phoenix's, often also with protection. The Tendrils back-up if the phoenix plan gets answered was really strong. It was catching everyone off-guard, and especially easy to pull off if you get in one or two hits with some number of birds.

Sideboarding out the whole phoenix package into Ad Nauseam if they didn't see Tendrils in Game 1 was also pretty spicy. It was able to deaden most of their graveyard hate and creature removal that gets left in.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I also went 3-2 in the Sunday mcq

Storm 2-0
    Humans 2–1
    UW blade 2–1
    Applejacks 1-2
    Lands 0-2

The mox diamond decks were brutal in getting lock pieces out early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tested this deck using Dreadhorde Arcanist in the Bob slot?

Unfortunately due to the timing of the trigger you can't use the Arcanist ability to directly help you to return Phoenixes (because it happens after beginning of combat) but you can use it to sculpt your hand with cantrips to return Phoenixes the next turn

It's getting a lot of hype in Delver decks and here it might be even better, it has synergy with more of the spells in the Phoenix deck because you have all 12 cantrips and 8 discardspells (rather than Fow/Daze).
    I wouldn't immediately suggest that the ability to flashback Entomb means that the deck would move away from Buried Alive but that's also possibly something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Has anyone tested this deck using Dreadhorde Arcanist in the Bob slot?

Unfortunately due to the timing of the trigger you can't use the Arcanist ability to directly help you to return Phoenixes (because it happens after beginning of combat) but you can use it to sculpt your hand with cantrips to return Phoenixes the next turn

It's getting a lot of hype in Delver decks and here it might be even better, it has synergy with more of the spells in the Phoenix deck because you have all 12 cantrips and 8 discardspells (rather than Fow/Daze).
    I wouldn't immediately suggest that the ability to flashback Entomb means that the deck would move away from Buried Alive but that's also possibly something to consider.
    Played it against 3 dredge matches last night. I’ll post my decklist later today. But I think it is more consistently powerful towards helping getting combo by turn 3 or 4. If not disrupting the ever living hell out of my opponent.

The minmax blog also uploaded a video of a league with it but he didn't draw it very often.
    I think there is some upside to the fact that Bob gives the card in your upkeep so you can use it to make a phoenix chain immediately, and your graveyard can also sometimes run out of gas, but overall the Arcanist is probably slightly stronger? Unsure

Thread Information