Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Moon really should be colorshifted to Green

Blood Moon really should be colorshifted to Green

Forestation 2G
    Enchantment
    All nonbasic lands are forests.

Green is the weakest color in eternal formats by far. Yes it has big creatures but it has minimal interactions and few ways to hate on opposing strategies. A card like this would instantly make Green Stompy a viable option, and would make monogreen a viable color in the format.

Hating on nonbasic lands is very green. Green is all about nature, green nonbasic land destruction has been a part of MTG for a long time.

Eternal formats would benefit from being more friendly to monocolored strategies, especially green based monocolored strategies (lots of players love beating down with creatures). Every other color has viable monocolored strategies (Mono Black Reanimator is actually quite powerful), but in green, even Elves have to splash black to have any chance of being competitive.

Manabases in eternal formats are obscenely expensive and create a high barrier of entry for new players. The format making room for more monocolored creature friendly strategies is essential to the longterm health of legacy.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Re: Blood Moon really should be colorshifted to Green

Bro, I don’t even get this high when I post here.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Sure, I'm up for it. 12 Moon sounds great for the format, or even better my Green Stax deck with Moon sounds like just the kicker it needs. I can not wait to see how much fun this makes the format.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I just lurk like a son of a bitch now, but fwiw I've always wanted to see attention paid to mono-decks that made it worthwhile to actually play them across from the 3-color monstrosities that Legacy enables. Idk if moving Blood Moon into Green makes that happen because then you're just casting Green things and your opponent gets games 2 and 3 to just blow out your one card that ties your strategy together.

The problem is there's such a limited payoff for playing monocolored decks, probably because it's hard to create castable mono cards that can't just be cheated out by a deck that's already good, or rendered unplayable by its mana cost being impossible to splash. The best cards always gravitate to the best decks, but it works in reverse too; if a card is too obtuse to fit into a good deck, it may just be left stranded.

I don't want to start a Shitty Card Creation thread but just for argument's sake I think you'd have to have a bunch of tools printed that are super strong monocolored cards that are worth playing on their own, whether or not you draw Green Blood Moon, and they would probably have to be actively bad in decks that try to splash for them. Currently the only way to do that without putting some jank mechanic on the card that forces you to build around monocolored in some kind of way is to cast things in triple colored requirements (or higher). So to supplement Broccoli Moon you'd also need cards with GGG costs that drive the deck and make it worthwhile to just play Forests, without also being so good that Jund lists go out of their way to throw them in - because once they're worth building around in decks with multiple colors, there's virtually no reason not to. Otherwise you're just actively dismissing effects that would make your deck better.

I feel like the best way this has ever worked was with Goblin decks and it wasn't even because they're mono-colored (they aren't, necessarily) it was because the Goblib synergies were so parasitic that they only worked with themselves and so you were already limited in your deckbuilding options by the Goblin creature type. That's probably the realest issue with monocolored decks, is that parasitic thing. Whether it's tribal or "basic lands matter" or whatever the build-around effect is, that's the only effect you get to exploit, so your deck is already a one-trick pony and it's tough for it to pick up new tech as sets are printed which don't explicitly augment that strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    'All nonbasic lands are forests.'

'friendly strategies is essential to the longterm health of legacy.'
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

10/10 would play Green Moon Natural Order Stompy
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    GSZ would make it hella good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    +1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

blood moon should cost RW and renamed to pink moon.
    -rob

bruizar

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

They should go ahead and make Leylines of 'all lands produce <>' and 'Chalice on 1' while we're at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

They printed literally almost half a DtB in one set a couple of years back; why would we need another shakeup?

Captain Hammer, I don't mean this to sound like an attack, but it seems you're starting a lot of threads with the stated aim of completely changing the format—not adjusting the power of a subset of decks, and not massaging the balance of archetypes. So I'm curious to hear why you think doing that would result in something better than what we have now. I fully understand that the RL lands are pricing people out of the format, and I agree that that's something that should change. But you seem to be making the "Deck X has the right to exist" argument, which doesn't get far for obvious reasons. Whether we need more monocolored decks for the sake of having more monocolored decks isn't really something I'm interested in debating.

And nonbasic hate has not ever really been a big part of Green. If you think it should be, fine, but Choke, Tsunami, Reap and Sow, Thermokarst, and Creeping Mold aren't really a precedent for what you're advocating.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

blood moon shouldn't exist AT ALL so I'm not really worried about it's color.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Artifacts are also weak ass hell.

Lets make some Free artifacts that when you tap it, it produces a mana of choice. We need cards like this to make legacy friendly.

I'm surprised we didn't get an eldrazi tribal bloodmoon in Oath that turned nonbasics into wastes Kappa.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    I'm surprised we didn't get an eldrazi tribal bloodmoon in Oath that turned nonbasics into wastes Kappa.
    Eldrazi doesn’t need a moon effect.

However green decks like Enchantress, Beast Stompy and Mono Green Devotion/Aggro absolutely need a Moon effect to ever have a shot at being viable options in Legacy.

Eldrazi doesn’t need a moon effect.

However green decks like Enchantress, Beast Stompy and Mono Green Devotion/Aggro absolutely need a Moon effect to ever have a shot at being viable options in Legacy.
    Kappa is Twitch speak for "the previous was sarcasm"

Hating on nonbasic lands is very green.
    Not counting Green/Red cards, there's been only one anti-nonbasic land card printed in Green in the last 10 years, Wave of Vitriol, and even that isn't so much an anti-nonbasic card so much as the fact WOTC doesn't like land destruction so they restricted what it can do.

Green is all about nature, green nonbasic land destruction has been a part of MTG for a long time.
    The aforementioned Wave of Vitriol is as far as I can tell, the only Green card (again, not counting Red/Green) that will specifically destroy nonbasic lands. The other "anti-nonbasic" cards in Green (which, again I note, were all from 10 or more years ago--heck, don't count Dryad Sophisticate and all of these cards are from 20 or more years ago) were Primal Order, Skyshroud Elite, Hidden Herd, Dryad Sophisticate, and Skyshroud War Beast, none of which destroy lands.

This claim reminds me of when Mark Rosewater tried to argue that True-Name Nemesis was in Blue because Blue got protection from things other than colors, but if you looked it up there was barely any examples of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    CHEEZUS I thought I had crazy thoughts!!!!!

Titan's Hunger-enchantment 2C Nonbasic Lands are Wastes. Arguably more hosing than Blood moon except against a mirror (same as blood moon).

or hell just put it on a 3/3 bc why not. or because eldrazi need to be wacky numbers right? 2C for a .....3/9.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

This thread just made me want a green Back to Basics tbh

Thread Information