Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MWC - Mono White Control 2019

Dec 2010
    Prague

Re: MWC - Mono White Control 2019

Hi!

Two more tournament performances: 2-2 and 3-1. The 2-2 I was twice paired against combo and they had it t1 and t2. Then two burn decks. We have leylines and pulses.

The 3-1 was very interesting. I killed Cephalid combo, lost to super lucky enchantress draw (always nuked their board but he drew rip, helm, rip and one disenchant was not enough. Beat mill by milling him via Emrakul and dodging death thanks to Teferi's Protection and also goblins with Volrath's Stronghold.

It is incredibly entertaining. :-)

It's great to see that you are doing well with the deck. I've also gathered quite a bit of testing so far (if only online). I tried out to cut the Mindstones as discussed but you were right that the additional early game and acceleration are necessary. As for Pulse of the Fields, it's true that the card's usefulness can vary massively depending on the matchup but I consider the large-CC sweeper package and Pulse to belong together somewhat and therefore would advise against its cut. Everytime I tried to cut Pulse I ended up wanting it back pretty soon.

The deck (or your approach) is however surprisingly strong. Opposing value decks are rarely prepared to handle CA based on lands like with Scrying Sheets. However the weakness against discard and especially Hymn still worries me. I think the you've reached the ceiling with the Sheets approach and that your list is close to optimal. Im currently trying something different with Runed Halo and a more tapout-control like playstyle.

What's Thawing Glaciers purpose exactly?
    Never played this card so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    Card advantage and you get to shuffle away situationally useless cards you get to see with Scrying Sheets. Imo the card is not a necessity though because it can also be rather bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Card advantage and you get to shuffle away situationally useless cards you get to see with Scrying Sheets. Imo the card is not a necessity though because it can also be rather bad.
    Yeah, it doesn't seem great without Scrying Sheets in play. Plus I'm not sure if a shuffle/filter effect justifies a "bad-tempo" action.

Ramp I guess. I used it in my solidarity list before, since I run tonnes of untap effects, allowing me to ramp multiple times before thawing glaciers bounces back to hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    Ramp I guess. I used it in my solidarity list before, since I run tonnes of untap effects, allowing me to ramp multiple times before thawing glaciers bounces back to hand.
    Well, yes I can see the appeal in solidarity (or Stasis even) with multiple untap effects but in this deck it's not exactly a ramp. At best it's a fixing.

Took the deck for our Legacy night yesterday. I just used Koplinchen's most recent list with a few changes (Replace glaciers with another Field of ruin and tuned the SB for my local meta a bit).
    Lost VS BUG (if you follow the Sylvan Queen deck you know I have a history against this deck).
    Won VS Stasis (Yes).
    Won VS 4c Loam (My usual salty opponent).
    Lost VS Zombardement (games were miserable for the both of us).

The deck was nice to play but I felt like there was something missing to "tie things together". I don't know. It could be a new card, it could be a new interaction...

I will probably try Ralf's Angel list in a few weeks.

Dec 2010
    Prague

Took the deck for our Legacy night yesterday. I just used Koplinchen's most recent list with a few changes (Replace glaciers with another Field of ruin and tuned the SB for my local meta a bit).
    Lost VS BUG (if you follow the Sylvan Queen deck you know I have a history against this deck).
    Won VS Stasis (Yes).
    Won VS 4c Loam (My usual salty opponent).
    Lost VS Zombardement (games were miserable for the both of us).

The deck was nice to play but I felt like there was something missing to "tie things together". I don't know. It could be a new card, it could be a new interaction...

I will probably try Ralf's Angel list in a few weeks.

I am happy you liked it! I think Glaciers are quite important. I think the deck is good if you are facing a lot of agressive strategies or midrange/slow control (grixis). BUG should be good. Stasis bad. Wining the first against Zombardment seems very hard. Afterboard it should be much better.

For me the card that hold the deck together (apart from sheets/glacier/plains/dragon for landrops as that is crucial) is Tharbern Inspector. I d play more of them if I could. The card does so much work! But you are mabye right. The deck could be improved with some card draw/selection. I am not sold on judgement/number of sweepers. If you have any idea I d be happy to hear it.

The board could be more like humility and/or stoneforge package (possibly only skull)

Good luck next time!

Sep 2011

Well, yes I can see the appeal in solidarity (or Stasis even) with multiple untap effects but in this deck it's not exactly a ramp. At best it's a fixing.
    Thawing Glaciers is ramp in any deck with basics. Without any special untap effects, it can net +2 lands or even +5 lands. It's just very slow at it. Every time you play Thawing Glaciers you Rampant Growth again. It's reusable. It gets +1 basic land in play every 2 turns, at the cost of a land drop every other turn. It's terrible tempo but a slow control deck might net several cards out of it, plus the shuffle effect.

It might be bad with Scrying Sheets, which draws you extra lands so you may not be able to afford land drops on Thawing Glaciers.

Anything new here? War of the Spark didn't give us anything good (I don't see us playing Gideon Blackblade). Teyo Maybe?

There is Generous Gift in Modern Horizon. Do you guys think it's playable?
    Winds of abandon is lackluster but could be a consideration aswell.

With the number of Karn flotting around, I wonder if we shouldn't play some number of Forsake the Wordly. Worst case scenario it cycles.

There is Gideon's Triumph after all which might be useful if you play a lot of Gideons (which I do in my newest list).

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    There is Gideon's Triumph after all which might be useful if you play a lot of Gideons (which I do in my newest list).
    Post-it! MWC could do what "Oops all Gideon" is trying to achieve.
    Also, Gid' Blackblade does survive our Wrath effect, that's something...

May 2013
    Paris, France

So I finally got to play a monthly tournament (no top 8) with the following list:

14 Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Field of Ruin
    1 Karakas
    1 Flagstones of Trokair

4 Eternal Dragon
    4 Angel of Sanctions
    3 Archangel of Tithes
    2 Gisela, the Broken Blade
    1 Baneslayer Angel
    1 Lyra Dawnbringer

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Settle the Wreckage

2 Wrath of Gods
    2 Council's Judgment

3 Ratchet Bomb
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass

4 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Gideon's Intervention

SB:

3 Damping sphere
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Grafdigger's cage
    3 Abeyance
    1 Porphyry Node
    2 Blessed Alliance

Brief summary:

- Thalia Stompy -> Win 2/1
    - Mono U Omnitell -> Loss 0/2.
    - U/W Stoneblade -> Win 1/0
    - Dark Depth Hoogak -> Win 2/0
    - Tempo ***** (Wren + Oko) -> Win 2/0

Finished 1st at the end of the last round.

That was really entertaining.
    SB is definitely a junk pile and I should have put more efforts into it (that I will).
    Some combo decks seems really bad without a proper SB and I need an edge for battle of control decks as the game takes forever and a tiny mistake can turn the tides so heavily.

For the loss against "mono U S&T", he went for it T3 both games.
    First game, I had an Angel of Sanctions for his Omni to put under S&T but he had a wish in hand for the trigger.
    Second game, I had a Gideon's intervention to put under S&T; I named Wish, he had 2 EtI in hand. I still believe wish is the correct call here. Mono U lists usually pack 4 of each but a wish is always easier to cast than an EtI.

Ralf.

Cette folie.
    Still have a few things to buy, but I need to test that.

That looks less MWC and more Angel Tribal, but it's still a cool list.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    That looks less MWC and more Angel Tribal, but it's still a cool list.
    That is MWC with freaking Angel tribals. The number of control/prison cards outnumbers the aggro part.
    First you lock and then you beat.

Angel of sanction is not an aggro card, it's an oblivion ring with a stick...
    Archangel of Tithes is a ghostly prison with legs...

The deck has actually 4 beaters (and that might be too much or too cute):

2 Gisela
    1 Banelsayer
    1 Lyra

but they are all so good that I cannot choose which one has to go.

I'm usually on the Timmy/cute side of things so I really think the list can be fined tuned up.
    Still, I do believe that having access to prison cards with a stick is a very very big advantage that no one should overlook.

Cavern of Souls + prison element are one of the key part for playing such a deck.

Never said it was an aggro list, just that when looking at it "angel tribal" comes to mind before "mono white control". Tribal doesn't necessarily imply aggro...

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Never said it was an aggro list, just that when looking at it "angel tribal" comes to mind before "mono white control". Tribal doesn't necessarily imply aggro...
    yeah let's call it Angels - MWC
    Last edited by Ralf; 11-20-2019 at 11:24 AM.

May 2013
    Paris, France

@ Thread:

I'm pretty sure you guys have a good knowledge of useful tools/weapons, MWC can use in SB.

1) In a vacuum which one is the worst for a control deck ?
    - Cataclysm
    - Decree of Justice
    - Elspeth Tirel

I would like to leave the dream of playing Cataclysm with Teferi's protection but that is pushing the boundaries... (you talk to a guy that actually built a MWC with 4 Cataclysm, 4 Teferi 4 Abeyance, 4 pearl medallion and 4 Grand Abolisher just to bring joy to the table...)

2) What do you think of the following SB split:

- 3 Deafening silence
    - 2 Grafdigger's cage
    - 1 Grand Abolisher
    - 1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    - 1 Prelate
    - 1 Containment Priest
    - 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    - 1 Damping Sphere
    - 1 Blessed Alliance
    - 1 Teferi's Protection
    - 1 Silent Gravestone