Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MWC - Mono White Control 2019

Dec 2010
    Prague

Re: MWC - Mono White Control 2019

Hi!

Two more tournament performances: 2-2 and 3-1. The 2-2 I was twice paired against combo and they had it t1 and t2. Then two burn decks. We have leylines and pulses.

The 3-1 was very interesting. I killed Cephalid combo, lost to super lucky enchantress draw (always nuked their board but he drew rip, helm, rip and one disenchant was not enough. Beat mill by milling him via Emrakul and dodging death thanks to Teferi's Protection and also goblins with Volrath's Stronghold.

It is incredibly entertaining. :-)

It's great to see that you are doing well with the deck. I've also gathered quite a bit of testing so far (if only online). I tried out to cut the Mindstones as discussed but you were right that the additional early game and acceleration are necessary. As for Pulse of the Fields, it's true that the card's usefulness can vary massively depending on the matchup but I consider the large-CC sweeper package and Pulse to belong together somewhat and therefore would advise against its cut. Everytime I tried to cut Pulse I ended up wanting it back pretty soon.

The deck (or your approach) is however surprisingly strong. Opposing value decks are rarely prepared to handle CA based on lands like with Scrying Sheets. However the weakness against discard and especially Hymn still worries me. I think the you've reached the ceiling with the Sheets approach and that your list is close to optimal. Im currently trying something different with Runed Halo and a more tapout-control like playstyle.

What's Thawing Glaciers purpose exactly?
    Never played this card so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.
    I play decks with a lot of white enchantments, and white isn't even my favorite color.

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    Card advantage and you get to shuffle away situationally useless cards you get to see with Scrying Sheets. Imo the card is not a necessity though because it can also be rather bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Card advantage and you get to shuffle away situationally useless cards you get to see with Scrying Sheets. Imo the card is not a necessity though because it can also be rather bad.
    Yeah, it doesn't seem great without Scrying Sheets in play. Plus I'm not sure if a shuffle/filter effect justifies a "bad-tempo" action.
    I play decks with a lot of white enchantments, and white isn't even my favorite color.

Ramp I guess. I used it in my solidarity list before, since I run tonnes of untap effects, allowing me to ramp multiple times before thawing glaciers bounces back to hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    Ramp I guess. I used it in my solidarity list before, since I run tonnes of untap effects, allowing me to ramp multiple times before thawing glaciers bounces back to hand.
    Well, yes I can see the appeal in solidarity (or Stasis even) with multiple untap effects but in this deck it's not exactly a ramp. At best it's a fixing.

Took the deck for our Legacy night yesterday. I just used Koplinchen's most recent list with a few changes (Replace glaciers with another Field of ruin and tuned the SB for my local meta a bit).
    Lost VS BUG (if you follow the Sylvan Queen deck you know I have a history against this deck).
    Won VS Stasis (Yes).
    Won VS 4c Loam (My usual salty opponent).
    Lost VS Zombardement (games were miserable for the both of us).

The deck was nice to play but I felt like there was something missing to "tie things together". I don't know. It could be a new card, it could be a new interaction...

I will probably try Ralf's Angel list in a few weeks.

Dec 2010
    Prague

Took the deck for our Legacy night yesterday. I just used Koplinchen's most recent list with a few changes (Replace glaciers with another Field of ruin and tuned the SB for my local meta a bit).
    Lost VS BUG (if you follow the Sylvan Queen deck you know I have a history against this deck).
    Won VS Stasis (Yes).
    Won VS 4c Loam (My usual salty opponent).
    Lost VS Zombardement (games were miserable for the both of us).

The deck was nice to play but I felt like there was something missing to "tie things together". I don't know. It could be a new card, it could be a new interaction...

I will probably try Ralf's Angel list in a few weeks.

I am happy you liked it! I think Glaciers are quite important. I think the deck is good if you are facing a lot of agressive strategies or midrange/slow control (grixis). BUG should be good. Stasis bad. Wining the first against Zombardment seems very hard. Afterboard it should be much better.

For me the card that hold the deck together (apart from sheets/glacier/plains/dragon for landrops as that is crucial) is Tharbern Inspector. I d play more of them if I could. The card does so much work! But you are mabye right. The deck could be improved with some card draw/selection. I am not sold on judgement/number of sweepers. If you have any idea I d be happy to hear it.

The board could be more like humility and/or stoneforge package (possibly only skull)

Good luck next time!

Sep 2011

Well, yes I can see the appeal in solidarity (or Stasis even) with multiple untap effects but in this deck it's not exactly a ramp. At best it's a fixing.
    Thawing Glaciers is ramp in any deck with basics. Without any special untap effects, it can net +2 lands or even +5 lands. It's just very slow at it. Every time you play Thawing Glaciers you Rampant Growth again. It's reusable. It gets +1 basic land in play every 2 turns, at the cost of a land drop every other turn. It's terrible tempo but a slow control deck might net several cards out of it, plus the shuffle effect.

It might be bad with Scrying Sheets, which draws you extra lands so you may not be able to afford land drops on Thawing Glaciers.

Thread Information