Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: MWC - Mono White Control 2019

Re: MWC - Mono White Control 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    1) In a vacuum which one is the worst for a control deck ?
    - Cataclysm // Allows you to keep Leyline, G's Intervention but you don't have much artifact to keep. I'm not too fund of it. Maybe Armageddon is better?
    - Decree of Justice //Cute but can surprise-kill some PWs.
    - Elspeth Tirel //Always a good choice.

I would like to leave the dream of playing Cataclysm with Teferi's protection but that is pushing the boundaries... (you talk to a guy that actually built a MWC with 4 Cataclysm, 4 Teferi 4 Abeyance, 4 pearl medallion and 4 Grand Abolisher just to bring joy to the table...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    2) What do you think of the following SB split:

- 3 Deafening silence
    - 2 Grafdigger's cage
    - 1 Grand Abolisher
    - 1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    - 1 Prelate
    - 1 Containment Priest
    - 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    - 1 Damping Sphere
    - 1 Blessed Alliance
    - 1 Teferi's Protection
    - 1 Silent Gravestone
    - 1 XXX (see above)
    I assume Abolisher, S-Prelate, C-Priest and Canonist are here assuming you put the Caverns on Cleric?
    I don't like Blessed Alliance. Timely Reinforcements is probably better depending on what you want to fight with it.
    Silent Gravestone just seems too slow. What do you want to use it for? If it's Reanimator, then Surgical on Griselbrand just seems better.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    - Cataclysm // Allows you to keep Leyline, G's Intervention but you don't have much artifact to keep. I'm not too fund of it. Maybe Armageddon is better?
    - Decree of Justice //Cute but can surprise-kill some PWs.
    - Elspeth Tirel //Always a good choice.

I assume Abolisher, S-Prelate, C-Priest and Canonist are here assuming you put the Caverns on Cleric?
    I don't like Blessed Alliance. Timely Reinforcements is probably better depending on what you want to fight with it.
    Silent Gravestone just seems too slow. What do you want to use it for? If it's Reanimator, then Surgical on Griselbrand just seems better.
    Cavern on Cleric is nice definitely.
    The bad and so-so MUs of this deck are:
    - Combo (not all of them, S&S is actually almost decent) but storm, Mono U omnitell, Reanimator and combo based creature (elves, food chain etc...) are difficult.
    - Deck with discard (Leyline will leverage that but there are games where you have it and some you don't)
    - Hard control decks (Miracle featuring many PWs for example) are tedious to play against. You'll see 3/4 of your deck and you can lose or win on the back of one tiny mistake.

I agree Blessed Alliance is not the best. I used to playing it as a 2x in the SB to be able to answer a pesky TNN/Marit etc... Timely might be better in a vacuum but my play test time is limited so is my fine tuning of the deck.

The mix of Silent Gravestone / Cage / Priest are there for the same reason -> beat grave based strategies. However, many times, Surgical was used against me to remove Eternal Dragon (Good miracle players will side in their Surgical against you to get rid of your CA engine). It was backbreaking. I do agree we could use our own Surgical to beat them at their own plan instead of banking my ass on a miser Silent Gravestone. Obviously, Silent is not very good against Storm for example but it can pull its weight in some other MUs. The draw ability can also be relevant.

As I said, I'm exploring SB options at the moment. It will require time and many tests before I/we have something to battle the meta...

Anyway thanks for your insights !

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Hi Ralf,
    I love this deck. I've played a lot of mono W control like Rabid Wombat and Quinn, and the lack of cantrips/draw makes me nervous. Have you tested this with any kind of draw enablers?
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

May 2013
    Paris, France

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    Hi Ralf,
    I love this deck. I've played a lot of mono W control like Rabid Wombat and Quinn, and the lack of cantrips/draw makes me nervous. Have you tested this with any kind of draw enablers?
    Hello Duke,

If you go back a bit in this very thread, I guess you'll see a few iterations of the list I provided.
    I did try 2 Palace Jailer intensively at some point. They were good but finally got the axe.

I won't lie, lack of card selection/ raw draw power in a format such as Legacy is, without any doubts, the main reason most players stay away from such deck.

That being said, this version of MWC with Angels was built in a way where:
    - you have many 1 for X cards (Sanction, Wrath effects)
    - you stall enough so that eventually you'll draw into business spells
    - Eternal Dragon is a good CA engine. Slow, yes but when you get it going...oh boy
    - Your average threat is usually bigger than the vast majority of the field

I usually hate those internet statements but I have really done my due diligences (as I always do with my own creations). This version was extensively tested against the meta (Tempo/Aggro/Combo/Control). Don't blush. Try it out by yourself and see what I mean.

There will be losses because you don't have card selection/draw power. Yes. But overall, the deck does pull its weight and has shown resiliency.
    I had/have great fun playing it.

I'm a competitive enough player so that when I go into a tournament (small or big) I always target at least top 8.

Sideboard tables are ready (that I can share by PM).

If you wanna try it out, please share your thoughts/ideas/changes afterwards.
    We are all here to improve our decklists, play skills and fun.

This list is not set in stone. There is a lot of room for improvements (Especially from more experienced players with such archetype).

Anyway, happy to discuss !

Regards,

Ralf.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Not sure how good it would be but looking into potential card draw options I've stumbled into Sacred Guide.
    As far as draw options go, I will reiterate my suggestion that went seemingly unnoticed (probably with good reason, hah) earlier in the thread. The upside is that it always hits something. The downside is that it costs 1WW, which is probably enough reason for it to be unplayable... Inability to hit artifacts is also a minus.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely building the deck. I'm too cheap for the Council's Judgement, so I'll slot in Abayence. Or at the least a couple O-rings.
    Thanks again for the deck idea.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely building the deck. I'm too cheap for the Council's Judgement, so I'll slot in Abayence. Or at the least a couple O-rings.
    Thanks again for the deck idea.
    Council is expensive :(
    That is a bummer.

You have 2 options I guess (but Council will be missed for sure; TNN as a primary example, Mother of Runes, etc...):
    - O Ring has the most similar effect for the same CMC but might turn alive some destroy and stifle effects (Abrupt decay, Stifle, ...you name it)
    - I also thought a lot about "Cast Out". Flash + cycling is very appealing. But that CMC 4 might definitely be a killing (a matter of life and death)

Pick your weapon.

Ralf.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Have you tried Shalai, Voice of Plenty in place of the leyline? Fits the theme but easier to remove than a (sometimes free) enchantment. She also protects the other creatures.
    Another crazier idea is Hushbringer. She would only hot the Angel of Sanctions, but may be good sideboard material.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Have you tried Shalai, Voice of Plenty in place of the leyline? Fits the theme but easier to remove than a (sometimes free) enchantment. She also protects the other creatures.
    Another crazier idea is Hushbringer. She would only hot the Angel of Sanctions, but may be good sideboard material.
    Shalai is SB material. 4 Leyline might be redundant in a way but stealing G1 against some decks is definitely where you want to be.

I thought a lot about a 2nd karakas in the side along with Shalai but I think I would still prefer Eight-and-half tails in the slot for his stronger potential.
    2 EHT + karakas could be indeed very nice in the side. Karakas acting as another card against big monsters decks and EHT as a pretty dirty play against midrange/control deck especially protected by a karakas.

With the printing of Heliod, Sun-Crowned, could MWC be interested in the combo with Ballista? The deck could look into an E-Tutor package.
    I also think that The Birth of Meletis is worth mentioning, as it can perform double duty as an Eternal Dragon substitute and an anti-aggro card.

Thread Information