Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Spark

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: War of the Spark

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Where does the Karn spoiler come frome? I thought Wizards had switched to a "except for mana abilities" templating for this.
    It's probbly meant to be a Null Rod/Stony Silence type of hate card.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Where does the Karn spoiler come frome? I thought Wizards had switched to a "except for mana abilities" templating for this.
    A leak of a low-quality image. The leak hasn't been wrong yet, so it's assumed it isn't wrong. Until we see it officially we won't know, but seems to be the case.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I'm not welcome there anymore, where did they get it from?

Ok, so Karn + Lattice is a one card combo that requires 10 mana (of any color, including colorless). How hard is it to get that in different formats fast?

Modern - Turn 4 - Tron + an extra Tower of Urza (Turn 5 any land + any extra Tron piece does it)
    Legacy - Not sure, rituals, sol lands, Basalt Monolith? Probably T2-3ish. Hilariously, Elves! can run this if they're looking for something funny to do with all their mana.
    Vintage - You can use Workshop for part of it, so T1-2?

@4dogs - it came from Russian Facebook.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned. But karn can be used to kill off an opponents artifact each turn if I am understanding that text correctly. (The text a a bit wonky)
    Well, forget this plan - it only matters for killing moxen now. The text has been updated, on Reddit at least. Looks like a more likely template this way.

Karn, the Great Creator (4) (Rare)

Activated abilities of artifacts your opponents control can't be activated

+1 Until your next turn, up to one target noncreature artifact becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal its converted mana cost

-2 You may choose an artifact card you own from outside the game or in exile, reveal that card and add it to your hand

(5)
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Apr 2011
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Looks like the dead gods of Amonkhet come back as Terminator zombies. That's pretty sweet lore-wise.
    Without bringing back the gods it would have been a bit odd, but with them it's obnoxious, at least if they're anything like the AKH/HOU gods.
    And the fact that the cycle is incompete makes it somewhat meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It's probbly meant to be a Null Rod/Stony Silence type of hate card.
    Right, but stoney silence is from innistrad 1 which was years ago. The more modern hate cards like tblood sun ithe taker and sorcerous spyglass make exceptions for Mana.

Pithing needle is an old card and it also makes an exception for mana abilities. It just depends on the card. (I think in this case, wizards thought it wouldn’t be as annoying in standard because of the lack of mana artifacts)

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Karn, the Great Creator (4)
    Artifact abilities of artifacts your opponents control can't be activated.
    +1 Until your next turn, up to one target noncreature artifact become an artifact with power and toughness equal to the amount of artifacts equal to their converted mana cost
    -2 You may choose an artifact card you own from outside the game or in exile, reveal that card and add it to your hand
    (5)

This seems like a good one card lock . . . You can cast this - use the first ability if you want, then the turn after use its second search up a Mycosynth Lattice in your SB, cast it, and opponent now can't use lands . . . turn after just keep turning the lattice into beats. So with a deck with Sol lands, you can probably cast this turn 2/3 and get the lock turn 4 ish?
    These toys just got pulled out of retirement
    master transmuter
    goblin welder
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Welder is pretty good with dack too if you’re on the liquimetal coating plan. It’s also decent with coating itself.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Yep, set blows.

Still trying not to retch over all these +1/+1 counters. Figures they'd throw in Proliferate to make all the set's uncommons (theoretically) playable (in theoretical Limited). At least Jace seems like a reasonable second Lab Man for Commander.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Yep, set blows.

Still trying not to retch over all these +1/+1 counters. Figures they'd throw in Proliferate to make all the set's uncommons (theoretically) playable (in theoretical Limited). At least Jace seems like a reasonable second Lab Man for Commander.
    Blows? I think it's full of novel cards that we dont even know yet how to evaluate. It feels a bit like a Conspiracy or Battlebond set.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Ok, so Karn + Lattice is a one card combo that requires 10 mana (of any color, including colorless). How hard is it to get that in different formats fast?

Modern - Turn 4 - Tron + an extra Tower of Urza (Turn 5 any land + any extra Tron piece does it)
    Legacy - Not sure, rituals, sol lands, Basalt Monolith? Probably T2-3ish. Hilariously, Elves! can run this if they're looking for something funny to do with all their mana.
    Vintage - You can use Workshop for part of it, so T1-2?

@4dogs - it came from Russian Facebook.
    I'd also throw out in legacy/vintage its a 4 mana walker with a "cheat into play" artifact, so in addition to what you listed above, any welder deck, S&T, Omni, etc can get it in "easy" if they want to. In vintage tinker works, or they can tap mana rocks, return them to their hand and re-cast and re-tap too. Although, at that point they are probably better off going for the kill than the lock at that point. But, its still possible inside that shell!

(can't remember if welder is banned or not, apply it to vintage if so).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

New Krenko 2R
    Legendary Creature - Goblin
    When ~ attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it, then create a number of 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens equal to its power.
    1/2

Does goblins want this?

edit

Seems like you can curve into this for a lot of stompy type prison decks and then just ride this to a slow win?

I really, really, really hope they ban Ancient Stirrings in Modern. Between Karn, Interplanar Beacon (it lets Tron run any walker they want to - like say Teferi out of the sideboard for matches against UW or something) and the Bolas Statue, there's just too many ways for that deck to end the game if it assembles a fast Tron and you don't have an immediate answer to whichever of several threats they drop at that point.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Neither the Krenko nor the expensive double Sphere of Resistance seem playable in Legacy to me.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Neither the Krenko nor the expensive double Sphere of Resistance seem playable in Legacy to me.
    Agree, it just seems like a bad trinisphere for any deck that makes that much mana anyways.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    Yeah, six mana likely gets nothing done in Legacy, even as a double-one-sided Sphere. Krenko lacking haste and the tokens not having it either means he likely only sees play in a very fringe way in actual Goblins.

Other cards spoiled lately also don't seem great for Legacy. A 5/4 Trable for 4 mana that Gravediggers is interesting, but not competitive.

I think I'll play the 1/2 amass 1 for 2 in Modern. Being a zombie that instantly makes another zombie is the exact kind of incrimental synergy Zombies does so well in Modern.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

That static ability is nice, but everything else about this card sucks.

That -X ability is nice, but 4 mana is a lot...

Thread Information