Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Spark

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: War of the Spark

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Not sure if that caps the win % of this combo).
    Please correct my math, but looking all the MTG math articles, in excel the following is the chances of drawing a single copy in your opening of a card you have "8" copies of: 1-HYPGEOMDIST(1,7,8,60) = 57.82%. For the combo, assuming you have all the land + accel + green cards, you should be able to get a Grisslebrand into play turn 1 about 33.44% of the time (chances of Rider/Pact + Neoform/Evolve) . Then you have about a 73.58% chance (1-HYPGEOMDIST(1,1,14,53)) of getting a nourishing in two activations and thereby having a chance to go off. So that's a 25.60% chance of a turn 1 win (with no protection and assuming land + accel + green cards). Assuming math is correct, at these percentages is this idea worth developing?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    It's kind of funny just how completely Tamiyo's static ability turns off Liliana of the Veil.
    Maybe that has story-related reasons? That would actually be cool.

Please correct my math, but looking all the MTG math articles, in excel the following is the chances of drawing a single copy in your opening of a card you have "8" copies of: 1-HYPGEOMDIST(1,7,8,60) = 57.82%. For the combo, assuming you have all the land + accel + green cards, you should be able to get a Grisslebrand into play turn 1 about 33.44% of the time (chances of Rider/Pact + Neoform/Evolve) . Then you have about a 73.58% chance (1-HYPGEOMDIST(1,1,14,53)) of getting a nourishing in two activations and thereby having a chance to go off. So that's a 25.60% chance of a turn 1 win (with no protection and assuming land + accel + green cards). Assuming math is correct, at these percentages is this idea worth developing?
    How does the new mulligan rule affect that?

Please correct my math, but looking all the MTG math articles, in excel the following is the chances of drawing a single copy in your opening of a card you have "8" copies of: .... Assuming math is correct, at these percentages is this idea worth developing?
    It seems like this is very similar to the Flash / Protean Hulk combo stuff from the brief moment where flash was un-errata'd. It's obviously not as strong, but I would be looking at those decks for some ideas.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I feel like there might be something here in modern. You get to play 4 Eldritch Evolution too
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

How does the new mulligan rule affect that?
    The new mulligan rule basically means you get to keep running hyper geometric numbers using 7 instead of 6, 5, 4, 3, ect. Then once the number of cards you need (N) exceeds seven minus the number of mulligans you've taken (M) it just flips to 0.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It seems like this is very similar to the Flash / Protean Hulk combo stuff from the brief moment where flash was un-errata'd. It's obviously not as strong, but I would be looking at those decks for some ideas.
    The problem is though that this deck requires not just Flash + Protean, but Combo 1 + Combo 2 + Green Card + Green Card. Also given that the combo costs either 1GG or UG, it is more expensive 50% of the time. Moreover you're running a whole bunch more Chaff (up to 14! rather than the 5 cards that Flash played)

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I feel like there might be something here in modern. You get to play 4 Eldritch Evolution too
    Yep as was noted there are only 2 cards in the deck (thus far) that are not modern legal. However they are Lotus Petal and ESG which are fantastic for this deck. I feel if it becomes a thing in modern (assuming no ban) then it should be way better in legacy (ignoring FOW).

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

So here's my preliminary list for modern

Nourishing Lich 9001:

Maindeck (56)
    2 Noble Hierarch
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Hooting Mandrills
    4 Allosaurus Rider
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Autochthon Wurm
    4 Summoner's Pact
    4 Adventurous Impulse
    3 Serum Visions
    4 Nourishing Shoal
    4 Eldritch Evolution
    2 Lightning Storm
    4 Botanical Sanctum
    2 Breeding Pool
    2 Forest
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest

Sideboard (0)

Shared via TopDecked MTG

https://www.topdecked.me/decks/52e2a...1-a1c50ef488e7
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

So here's my preliminary list for modern

Nourishing Lich 9001:

Maindeck (56)
    2 Noble Hierarch
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Hooting Mandrills
    4 Allosaurus Rider
    2 Griselbrand
    4 Autochthon Wurm
    4 Summoner's Pact
    4 Adventurous Impulse
    3 Serum Visions
    4 Nourishing Shoal
    4 Eldritch Evolution
    2 Lightning Storm
    4 Botanical Sanctum
    2 Breeding Pool
    2 Forest
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Island
    4 Misty Rainforest

Sideboard (0)

Shared via TopDecked MTG

https://www.topdecked.me/decks/52e2a...1-a1c50ef488e7
    I think you definitely want a singleton Laboratory Maniac in there. Otherwise, I like it, looks like a nifty T2 kill.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think you definitely want a singleton Laboratory Maniac in there. Otherwise, I like it, looks like a nifty T2 kill.
    Maniac seems difficult to cast. I guess manamorphose gets there, but tough to find room for it. I assume this sideboard wants white leyline as well. I really do think this deck has some serious potential though.

Maniac seems difficult to cast. I guess manamorphose gets there, but tough to find room for it. I assume this sideboard wants white leyline as well. I really do think this deck has some serious potential though.
    In what universe is U2 Maniac harder to cast than 1RR lightning storm? Especially considering you can also cast Maniac off of any Eldritch Evolution (X=2 or less) if it's still in your deck.

EDIT: nvm, thought you had Manamorphoses in that list, turns out you don't. My bad.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?

Apr 2011
    Germany

OMG, we're doomed! WotC really lost their ability to balance cards and card cycles!
    Rhonas seems pretty bad while this flies (in a planeswalker set), costs less and casts spell copies(!) from the top of the library.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    OMG, we're doomed! WotC really lost their ability to balance cards and card cycles!
    Unless the white god blows everything else out of the water, Kefnet does seem like the strongest god out the cycle overall. Strong ability, best evasion and one mana cheaper than the rest (unless the white one costs less than 5, too, but who are we kidding?).

And these stats man 4/5

This is so weird. "copy that card and you may cast that copy"

Lets say i have this new Ral, Storm Conduit. "Whenever you cast or copy a spell deal 1 dmg" does it trigger for 2 damage?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

bruizar

Kefnet Is garbage fire. Plow it and your opponent ends up spneding 8 mana on kefnets. You can do a lot of good stuff for 8 mana. Casting kefnet twice isnt it. The cost reduction is useless in a format where anything that goes into blue costs 1 blue mana already. Yeah you get to copy an instant or sorcery, provided you dont have a land, creature artifact or planeswalker on the top of your deck. Give me dark confidant over this any day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Kefnet Is garbage fire. Plow it and your opponent ends up spneding 8 mana on kefnets.
    It's you MAY put it third from the top. Don't say the card is good, put at least you have the choice.

Most of the stuff in this set just seems too expensive for legacy or just not as good as existing options that do similar things. A bit disappointing after getting two great cards in RNA (Pteramander and LutS) but not really surprising.

Kefnet is very good as another Jace
    pure card advantage you simply cast the cantrip copy and purely draw

sure, at that point I’d rather play the 4th jace before the first Kefnet

bruizar

For Kefnet to matter the turn it comes into play you need to have 5 mana available. At 5 mana I'd rather have Teferi.

Finale of Promise was just spoiled. Maybe something in ruby storm can use it. Not familiar enough with the deck. It's virtually 3 storm in one card. Maybe fighting with bonus round for slots though. Then again, it might be good with Bonus Round.

Thread Information