Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Thread: War of the Spark

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: War of the Spark

Yeah. Poron, I’m with you. The card is crapola. O ring is just not “strictly” better. We tend to overuse that label, and this appears to be some of us curtailing it’s application.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Yeah. Poron, I’m with you. The card is crapola. O ring is just not “strictly” better. We tend to overuse that label, and this appears to be some of us curtailing it’s application.
    Technically, strictly better doesn't happen that often - Wilder Nacatl may be strictly better than Wild Nacatl but even for stuff like Red Elemental Blast compared to Pyroblast you can say that having a split is better than two pyroblasts because of stuff like Meddling Mage. More power is better except when Meekstone is in play, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Technically, strictly better doesn't happen that often - Wilder Nacatl may be strictly better than Wild Nacatl but even for stuff like Red Elemental Blast compared to Pyroblast you can say that having a split is better than two pyroblasts because of stuff like Meddling Mage. More power is better except when Meekstone is in play, and so on.
    This is a strictly worse interpretation of the term strictly better.

ok, not strictly. I just would never cut myself out of the chance of removing Blood Moon or Thran Dynamo for scry1

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Okay, so apparently Bolas got wrecked a bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Power level is very high in this set, as most have realized. It's pretty exciting to see cards possibly slot into the eternal formats. None of the cards pertain to decks I personally play (so far) but it will be exciting figuring out the landscape after this set settles. Modern Horizons is only a few months away from potentially shaking up eternal formats yet again, so it's going to be a roller-coaster year I think for Modern and Legacy. Wotc is historically poor at reading the tea leaves for eternal formats, but it seems like they are getting closer to the mark with War and possibly Horizons.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Okay, so apparently Bolas got wrecked a bit:

So you're saying it can hit lands?

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    So you're saying it can hit lands?
    It hits some of the transform ones like Primal Wellspring or Vault of Catlacan too.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Power level is very high in this set, as most have realized. It's pretty exciting to see cards possibly slot into the eternal formats. None of the cards pertain to decks I personally play (so far) but it will be exciting figuring out the landscape after this set settles. Modern Horizons is only a few months away from potentially shaking up eternal formats yet again, so it's going to be a roller-coaster year I think for Modern and Legacy. Wotc is historically poor at reading the tea leaves for eternal formats, but it seems like they are getting closer to the mark with War and possibly Horizons.
    With the current direction they're going, Horizon looks promising. Power level has increased quite a bit ever since DOM (aka the first set the playtesting team got their hands on), and since the playtest team could fully influence the third Ravnica, it definitely shows results. It feels like they actually understand what the game needs and how to balance things, unlike the previous R&D. We even get halfway decent nonbasic hate again.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    With the current direction they're going, Horizon looks promising. Power level has increased quite a bit ever since DOM (aka the first set the playtesting team got their hands on), and since the playtest team could fully influence the third Ravnica, it definitely shows results. It feels like they actually understand what the game needs and how to balance things, unlike the previous R&D. We even get halfway decent nonbasic hate again.
    If Horizons includes Astral Slide, I'll definitely pick up MTGO again, and maybe even paper. If it doesn't, I'll write an epic, profanity laden tirade on the internet. (maybe, i'll probably have something better to do that day)

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    If Horizons includes Astral Slide, I'll definitely pick up MTGO again, and maybe even paper. If it doesn't, I'll write an epic, profanity laden tirade on the internet. (maybe, i'll probably have something better to do that day)
    Please, PLEASE, die on the hill of Astral Slide.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I was thinking the same, that Dominaria was a real turning point. Your insight helps me understand why. There seems to be a strong shift towards getting the 'old guard' back into the excitement of spoiler season. The rising quality of cards gives me hope that more cards will come off the banlist (Earthcraft, Mind Twist for legacy, Stoneforge Mystic for Modern) but I recognize that to be a pipe dream at this point.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007

I was thinking the same, that Dominaria was a real turning point. Your insight helps me understand why. There seems to be a strong shift towards getting the 'old guard' back into the excitement of spoiler season. The rising quality of cards gives me hope that more cards will come off the banlist (Earthcraft, Mind Twist for legacy, Stoneforge Mystic for Modern) but I recognize that to be a pipe dream at this point.
    They don't care about the "old guard", as you call it. WotC needs sales to balance out Hasbro's fuck-ups. Good sets sale, bad ones don't.

The main problem with R&D was that they had their heads to deep in their own asses due to echo chamber they've created. E.g. that tweet of Maro where he thought that having more than 4 copies of duals would break Legacy (when most lists don't run a full playset of a particular dual).

What I really like about the set is that alot of cards feel interesting/powerful without going fully broken.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I think where you misevaluate Ashiok is that it is the only card I can think of that allows multiple crypt effects. Relic, Tormod's Crypt, Nihil Spellbomb are all one time effects. Relic and Scavenging Ooze can be used multiple times if you pump a lot of mana into ooze or a lot of turns into Relic, but that's not the same thing.

Decks can sort of mitigate or play through this, but Ashiok can pop the graveyard every turn for 5 turns. Even if it does get hit once you usually get two pops out of it. Not being able to defend itself isn't a hard requirement for a planeswalker, it certainly does help. I think you may also be misevaluating the impact of a static ability on a planeswalker, which means you actually get two uses out of it the turn it comes into play, instead of just 1. I could be wrong, but my hunch is that Ashiok is incredibly strong.
    I certainly forgot about her active ability and actually, that in itself is pretty good. You are right. However, the ability I was excited about was her static ability. There is more than enough grave hate easily accessible in this game, but there is not much effective fetch land hate that has alternative uses.

Wotc is historically poor at reading the tea leaves for eternal formats, but it seems like they are getting closer to the mark with War and possibly Horizons.
    I think they have a pretty good idea of what they need to do to shake up eternal formats. The problem is that they just dont care enough to do it as often as we would like. They print cards like abrupt decay which was intended for eternal formats. Id say that the card changed things and became a staple. It was also intentional on their part. I remember reading an article about them wanting to provide something to combat counterbalance decks. This was of course before SDT ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post

Any way to abuse this with PWs in the grave? Or is this just too damn expensive?
    I dont think this is too expensive. It's definitely on the high end but the issue I see is that it deals significant damage to you. So at the point it could be good enough to cast, you'd just die to it.

I would combo Deepglow Skate with some powerful planeswalkers. I'm sure there is probably 2-3 that can win with their ults when they etb. These will work though.

bile urchin
    Vraska, Relic Seeker
    Last edited by apple713; 04-18-2019 at 11:39 PM.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

with so many planeswalkers around Doubling season can be great. Let’s all read Sarkhan Vol’s ultimate about dragon with doubling season and think

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    with so many planeswalkers around Doubling season can be great. Let’s all read Sarkhan Vol’s ultimate about dragon with doubling season and think
    with doubling season, having 4 copies of Jace, Architect of Thought lets you play 4 cards from the opponent's deck for free, and then get another planeswalker, which can be either Narset Transcendent, which pretty much renders most decks useless with its ultimate (even moreso after cycling through the jaces), or Tamiyo, Field Researcher which allows you to draw 3 and get an unkillable omniscience. Sarkhan seems kinda lame compared to these guys imo.
    miLLe!!!!!

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by [reptiLe] View Post
    with doubling season, having 4 copies of Jace, Architect of Thought lets you play 4 cards from the opponent's deck for free, and then get another planeswalker, which can be either Narset Transcendent, which pretty much renders most decks useless with its ultimate (even moreso after cycling through the jaces), or Tamiyo, Field Researcher which allows you to draw 3 and get an unkillable omniscience. Sarkhan seems kinda lame compared to these guys imo.
    Why not run something that actually wins the game, like JTMS or the new God Bolas, as a finisher?

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Why not run something that actually wins the game, like JTMS or the new God Bolas, as a finisher?
    because I'm lazy, I was just pointing out that jace architect is simply the best option with doubling season
    miLLe!!!!!

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

So the story basically is that Bolas gets imprisoned and Gideon and Domri get killed?

Got damn it WOTC, kill Jace already you cowards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    So the story basically is that Bolas gets imprisoned and Gideon and Domri get killed?

Got damn it WOTC, kill Jace already you cowards.
    i guess the design space for gideon was depleted so he had to go

Thread Information