Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Spark

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: War of the Spark

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Fair enough. In that case the best I can come up with is to Cast YP/Mentor - copy the token you just created to be a YP/Mentor and then go crazy with token generation? That worth it?

On that note - with Beacon and SOL Lands, its pretty easy to do turn 1 chalice turn 2 multicolored 3CMC PW - with Dovin, Tefri, and Saheeli, and anything else maybe even a PW stompy deck that can run chalice and FOW.
    Dovin has a Stompy mana cost. Teferi and Saheeli? Not so much, due to requiring double colored mana.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Dovin has a Stompy mana cost. Teferi and Saheeli? Not so much, due to requiring double colored mana.
    That's why I mentioned Beacon. Turn 1 Sol Land + Turn 2 Beacon gets you 1(any color)(any other color). So you can cast your double colored PWs.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

That's why I mentioned Beacon. Turn 1 Sol Land + Turn 2 Beacon gets you 1(any color)(any other color). So you can cast your double colored PWs.
    Probably need to play some Odyssey egg lands too just to up the consistency a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Copying walking ballista with saheeli seems pretty sick.

Mar 2007

Nevermind, I skipped reading Beacon. But still, most of the best PWs are monocolored with double color requirement.

One cool thing about the new Saheeli is getting tricky with lock pieces and mana rocks. E.g., you could turn a random artifact like Ensnaring Bridge into e.g. Grim Monolith, then EoT it turns back into Bridge, thus leaving only your opponent unable to attack AND Bridge untaps normally because it isn't Monolith. Or turning Chalice into a Jitte, attack, grab some charge counters, then alter the Chalice's charge counters to your own liking before it turns back (edit: the original Jitte would die due to legend rule, though). Lots of potential for creative fuckery.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkfathom View Post
    Copying walking ballista with saheeli seems pretty sick.
    Would not recommend.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Nevermind, I skipped reading Beacon. But still, most of the best PWs are monocolored with double color requirement.

One cool thing about the new Saheeli is getting tricky with lock pieces and mana rocks. E.g., you could turn a random artifact like Ensnaring Bridge into e.g. Grim Monolith, then EoT it turns back into Bridge, thus leaving only your opponent unable to attack AND Bridge untaps normally because it isn't Monolith. Or turning Chalice into a Jitte, attack, grab some charge counters, then alter the Chalice's charge counters to your own liking before it turns back (edit: the original Jitte would die due to legend rule, though). Lots of potential for creative fuckery.
    The jitte onto chalice thing would be pretty funny. Drop chalice on 0, turn into jitte, equip, get counters, gain 2 life, eot have a chalice on 1
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/sta...21383365648384

People are buying out Aurelia's Fury to try to get a softlock with Feather. This is hilarious.

That said, couldn't Feather be used to rebuy Grape Shot if the original copy targets her?

Swans of Bryn Argoll would also be on color for ridiculous card advantage. Turn Lightning Bolt into a red Ancestral Recall every turn? Yes, please.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I'm thinking something hilarious like the following as a starting point. Liquid Metal Coating can combine with both Dack (steal a permanent), Karn (blow something up) or now even Saheeli (use a PW ability - turn PW into artifact - copy a PW - old PW goes into Grave - reuse ability)

8 Sol Lands
    4 Interplanar Beacon
    10 Lands

4 Chrome Mox
    2 Mox Diamond

4 Dack Fayden
    3 Teferi Time Raveler
    3 Sahleeli
    4 New Karn
    4 Dovin
    2 JTMS

4 Liquid Metal Coating
    4 Chalice
    4 Force of Will

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/sta...21383365648384

People are buying out Aurelia's Fury to try to get a softlock with Feather. This is hilarious.

That said, couldn't Feather be used to rebuy Grape Shot if the original copy targets her?

Swans of Bryn Argoll would also be on color for ridiculous card advantage. Turn Lightning Bolt into a red Ancestral Recall every turn? Yes, please.
    I don't think lighting bolt works - you need to target Feather. Aurelia's Fury works cause you can pay 2RW target Feather and target opponent and soft lock them (I think it's actually a decent soft lock - it can start turn 4, and it provides a 5 turn clock to get out (3 damage from feather and 1 damage from the Fury)

At least for Standard, I think people are really sleeping on Grixis/Bolas, Dragon God. There's just an absurd amount of good stuff there, and the use of Lightning Strike over say Seal Away or something gives a huge edge up on dealing with all the incoming 'walkers. New Dovin seems super super good, because he's a big pile of distraction and "not dealt to you" damage vs. aggro, and a sphere vs. control.

Mar 2007

I'm thinking something hilarious like the following as a starting point. Liquid Metal Coating can combine with both Dack (steal a permanent), Karn (blow something up) or now even Saheeli (use a PW ability - turn PW into artifact - copy a PW - old PW goes into Grave - reuse ability)

8 Sol Lands
    4 Interplanar Beacon
    10 Lands

4 Chrome Mox
    2 Mox Diamond

4 Dack Fayden
    3 Teferi Time Raveler
    3 Sahleeli
    4 New Karn
    4 Dovin
    2 JTMS

4 Liquid Metal Coating
    4 Chalice
    4 Force of Will

I don't think lighting bolt works - you need to target Feather. Aurelia's Fury works cause you can pay 2RW target Feather and target opponent and soft lock them (I think it's actually a decent soft lock - it can start turn 4, and it provides a 5 turn clock to get out (3 damage from feather and 1 damage from the Fury)
    Feather says target creature you control, it isn't specific to her.

As for your deck, Karn can only blow up lands or other 0CC cards/tokens. And I'm pretty sure that copying a Planeswalker is fail, as they immediately die from not having loyality counters on them. Going after their lands with both Karn and Dack is pretty nifty, though.

T1 Sol Land, Coating
    T2 Sol Land, Karn

is absolutely devastating as they won't ever have more than 1-2 lands in play while also shutting down artifact mana. Absolutely brutal. That's definitely something to work with if you have enough other uses for Coating.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I love Swans, that was the second Legacy deck I ever built when I got back in the game.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Fair enough. In that case the best I can come up with is to Cast YP/Mentor - copy the token you just created to be a YP/Mentor and then go crazy with token generation? That worth it?...
    You can use it as a de-facto haste effect for stuff like Goblin Welder or Metalworker though I'm not sure how good that is in practice.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Feather says target creature you control, it isn't specific to her..
    Arg, sorry - my bad.

As for your deck, Karn can only blow up lands or other 0CC cards/tokens. And I'm pretty sure that copying a Planeswalker is fail, as they immediately die from not having loyality counters on them. Going after their lands with both Karn and Dack is pretty nifty, though. .
    Edit - Also, my bad, another good catch.

So, to expand on the 'Walker Stompy idea, how about 'Walker stax? The real advantage here is that your win cons/lock pieces ALSO draw cards/tutor, and things like Coating creature/Dack steal are effective against permanents, and Karn + Lattice is a hard lock and win condition that can hit turn 3.

So, maybe..

Mana:
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Interplanar Beacon
    4x Wasteland
    3x Island
    3x Mountain
    4x Chrome Mox/Mox Diamond/Mox Amber/Mox Opal
    4x Simian Spirit Guide

'Walkers
    4x Karn
    3x Dack
    3x Dovin

Lock Stuff
    4x Sorcerous Spyglass
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Tangle Wire
    4x Crucible of Worlds
    4x Liquimetal Coating

Maybe some 3Sphere or Sphere of Resistance should be in there somewhere? Might also want the Proliferate land or some stuff like Tabernacle or something, but this feels like a pretty solid start. Probably also want the full 4x Dack and a backup source of card draw/filtering. Perhaps one of the Chandra's? You probably don't need 30 mana sources for something like this either, just spitballing here, but it definitely seems to have a lot of potential.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    So, to expand on the 'Walker Stompy idea, how about 'Walker stax? The real advantage here is that your win cons/lock pieces ALSO draw cards/tutor, and things like Coating creature/Dack steal are effective against permanents, and Karn + Lattice is a hard lock and win condition that can hit turn 3.

So, maybe..

Mana:
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Interplanar Beacon
    4x Wasteland
    3x Island
    3x Mountain
    4x Chrome Mox/Mox Diamond/Mox Amber/Mox Opal
    4x Simian Spirit Guide

'Walkers
    4x Karn
    3x Dack
    3x Dovin

Lock Stuff
    4x Sorcerous Spyglass
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Tangle Wire
    4x Crucible of Worlds
    4x Liquimetal Coating

Maybe some 3Sphere or Sphere of Resistance should be in there somewhere? Might also want the Proliferate land or some stuff like Tabernacle or something, but this feels like a pretty solid start. Probably also want the full 4x Dack and a backup source of card draw/filtering. Perhaps one of the Chandra's? You probably don't need 30 mana sources for something like this either, just spitballing here, but it definitely seems to have a lot of potential.
    Izzet Signet would probably be pretty good for ramp and mana filtering. 4 CoWs seems excessive. Also, no Bridge? You can stall until Creator Karn has a hard lock via LD or Lattice, then collect cards in your hand to beat them up. Running Creator doesn't mean you can't run Scion of Urza for additional card draw and threats. If you want to go for the Proliferate route, then Walking Ballista should be in there, too.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I personally am thinking of a more RG style deck with grudges and such. Maybe actuall RB is better since KCommand is less dead without a coating in play

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I'm pretty sure that copying a Planeswalker is fail, as they immediately die from not having loyality counters on them
    Maybee you can turn a planeswalker into another one and thanks to high starting loyalty you can ultimate him immediately? :)
    Is there any winning ultimate that you can achieve with the starting loyalty of another PW?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Maybee you can turn a planeswalker into another one and thanks to high starting loyalty you can ultimate him immediately? :)
    Is there any winning ultimate that you can achieve with the starting loyalty of another PW?
    The UB Tezzeret, maybe, if you can fire it off twice.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I wonder if you guys are doing the math on Ral correctly with Grapeshot. If you untap with Ral, you only need a storm count of six to win. Five if you use his -2. Considering the combination of red and blue acceleration and search, I am pretty sure we are looking at a new deck. Might even be good.

Ritual
    High tide
    Brainstorm
    Lava dart
    Flashback lava dart
    Grapeshot

20 damage exactly. Or 19 I think.

Am I reading this right? Don’t the copies of Grapeshot each trigger Ral? Is “copy” the same as “put a copy on the stack”?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information