Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Spark

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: War of the Spark

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Extremely surprised that this can be activated at instant speed. Between Sylvan Library and Mirri's Guile, this might get there.
    Should be nice with cards like PF/Grove, Squee or Loam. There should be plenty of ways to fuel this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Angrath's Wrath OR Wrath of Angrath (it's a translation so...)
    RB
    Sorcery or Instant
    Choose one:
    Target player sacs an Artifact
    "" a creature
    "" a planeswalker

That seems borderline playable for Grixis.
    It's confirmed as a sorcery. Given how cheap and flexible it is, chances that it sees play are pretty high.

Karn is just the single most busted 'walker I've ever seen (in Vintage). He's a win condition, a lock piece, AND a repeatable source of CA, all in one card. It's crazy.

T1, you drop Karn, your opponent is on storm, you search for 3 sphere or Sphere of Resistance or something. Now they have to respond with no artifact mana available.
    Vs. Dredge? You grab some GY hate like Relic or Crypt or whatever, maybe Cage? Or needle or Spyglass or Tsabo's Web to shut down Bazaar. Vs. Shops? Damphing Sphere or something.

Like, he's just cray cray in that format. In Legacy he's very good in a specific shell, and in Modern he's sort of ok? In standard, probably not that great. But in Vintage? Man, that's like T1 3sphere level beatings.
    I think they will need to restrict this in Vintage; it would be playable in that format just for the onesided null rod even if it didn't have any other text. Shops is gonna be stupid with this.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Interestingly, I popped over to the mana drain and it doesn't seem like there's much excitement over it

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

The downside of not being castable off of a shop seems rough. That said you still have enough fast Mana a turn 2 Karn is probably fairly easy to produce. Fwiw most of the Tusks think it's at least very good
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

I'm actually looking at this defensively - is this some weird anti-Chalice tech that you can shoehorn in?
    You see anti-Chalice tech, I see [Tangle Wire] and [Smokestacks] accelerant.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    For the cost of effectively one extra mana, it can also pump all your Ballistas (and whatever also has counters on it, like Arcbound Ravager, Hangarback or Steel Overseer). This is pretty damn good.

This one can prevent damage from stuff like Ancient Tomb. Is there a way to abuse this where you can negate repeated self-damage?
    I want to like this card. I really do. But I think you may have already found the best use for it. All the self damage cards either suck or they are red. And that means a mana supply that has been impossible in Legacy since 2004.

Price of Progress
    Rolling Earthquake
    Eidolon of the Great Revel
    Ankh of Mishra

If the -2 were somehow instant speed or something, maybe.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Arkbow seems good enough to be playable but I don't know what deck it goes in. Maybe it's supposed to be a backup Eye of Ugin for big mana decks. The fact that it's not card advantage means that it's probably not good enough to be a lategame manasink in any kind of fair deck.

The proliferate land seems cool but same deal. I like the idea of it being anti-chalice tech but the problem there is that chalice on 1 also shuts off Crop Rotation and Gamble. Most cantrip/blue decks don't have enough mana sources/acceleration to reasonably expect to activate it either. (Unrelated, I'm also kind of surprised that the monarch land didn't see play anywhere, but if that's not good enough then maybe this one won't be either)

The new Edict is sick and is a clear upgrade over Diabolic for every deck, the one exception might be lists with e.g. Academy Rector or Veteran Explorer

bruizar

Karn is on another power level all on its own. I'll say it, it's the best card in the set even though we still have 200 cards to go. For comparison:

Golden Wish

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    You see anti-Chalice tech, I see [Tangle Wire] and [Smokestacks] accelerant.
    It can also ruin Aether Vials by putting them out of range of useful CC.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Karn is on another power level all on its own. I'll say it, it's the best card in the set even though we still have 200 cards to go. For comparison:

Golden Wish
    Golden Wish was always the stinker of the wish cycle.

But being (hard) lock piece, win con and tutor all rolled into one card is going to be huge.

I think the Proliferate land is really strong, but not suitable for everything. As I said before, Karn is getting Restricted in Vintage. He's cray cray. Will definitely see a lot of play in Legacy, and I think he's good enough to finally get Ancient Stirrings the banhammer in Modern.

So this got spoiled today:

Eternal Taskmaster
    1B
    Uncommon
    Zombie
    ETB tapped
    Whenever it attacks, you can pay 2B to return a creature from your graveyard to your hand
    2/3

Like, am I nuts or is that the best standard 2-drop since Tarmogoyf or Snapcaster? (I mean for standard, not for eternal where it's too slow obviously) Like, that's a STUPID good card.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It's good, but not stupid good, and definitely not on the same power level as Snapcaster or Tarmogoyf. It has to attack to get the trigger and you actually need a creature in the graveyard to make it work. If you are binning creatures for value, yeah, this will be good. Busted? Snapcaster good? No way.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    It's good, but not stupid good, and definitely not on the same power level as Snapcaster or Tarmogoyf. It has to attack to get the trigger and you actually need a creature in the graveyard to make it work. If you are binning creatures for value, yeah, this will be good. Busted? Snapcaster good? No way.
    Yeah, I can't see how this is even close to the "power 2 drop" level. I'm hard-pressed to think of this at the same level as 'Goyf, Confidant, Snapcaster, or Stoneforge. It's just too fragile, too slow and too mana-intensive, not to mention, contingent in a way that seems analogous to Snapcaster, but really isn't, because one, Snapcaster lets you sink in mana to actually cast the card, and two, Instants and Sorceries are generally low-cost and in the 'yard quickly.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I think the Proliferate land is really strong, but not suitable for everything. As I said before, Karn is getting Restricted in Vintage. He's cray cray. Will definitely see a lot of play in Legacy, and I think he's good enough to finally get Ancient Stirrings the banhammer in Modern.

So this got spoiled today:

Eternal Taskmaster
    1B
    Uncommon
    Zombie
    ETB tapped
    Whenever it attacks, you can pay 2B to return a creature from your graveyard to your hand
    2/3

Like, am I nuts or is that the best standard 2-drop since Tarmogoyf or Snapcaster? (I mean for standard, not for eternal where it's too slow obviously) Like, that's a STUPID good card.
    It's very strong (the extra toughness matters), but it's still a three-mana sink each turn. The way I think of it is this: If it were 2/3 for B1 that had: B2, Raise dead - Activate this only once each turn, would it be busted? And the answer is no - that's a lot of mana to pay (even in Standard), and making the ability even better doesn't put it at the power level of Goyf/Snapcaster.

That said again - very strong, and being a Zombie is going to be tribally relevant, it looks like.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

How in the world are you guys talking about the Karn and not the Teferi?
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

This probably costs a little too much for Legacy but it does so many things.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    How in the world are you guys talking about the Karn and not the Teferi?
    Well, Teferi seems ok. What's the case for his playability though?

As in, where do you see him being used and why? I mean, Does Miracles want him? Does Stoneblade? Does he fit in a Delver/Tempo shell?

On the surface he does seem like a "glorified" bounce spell. And of course, his +1 is of limited value. So, what do we imagine his general use would be? I mean, he passes many of our usual "initial" grounds for playablity. That is, his CMC is 3, that's good. He can "protect" himself. His static ability does seem somewhat useful.

So, how does that come together though? +1 will often be just literally +1 and he doesn't really offer any card advantage, merely tempo advantage. So, perhaps this is more useful in Modern? It's not clear to me...

If only he was also green for GSZ purposes...

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post

If only he was also green for GSZ purposes...
    His casting from the library clause is interesting. I guess this is for those "look at the top card of your library, you may cast it..." things we've seen lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, Teferi seems ok. What's the case for his playability though?

As in, where do you see him being used and why? I mean, Does Miracles want him? Does Stoneblade? Does he fit in a Delver/Tempo shell?

On the surface he does seem like a "glorified" bounce spell. And of course, his +1 is of limited value. So, what do we imagine his general use would be? I mean, he passes many of our usual "initial" grounds for playablity. That is, his CMC is 3, that's good. He can "protect" himself. His static ability does seem somewhat useful.

So, how does that come together though? +1 will often be just literally +1 and he doesn't really offer any card advantage, merely tempo advantage. So, perhaps this is more useful in Modern? It's not clear to me...
    I think Teferi is best in a Bant Maverick type of shell. He's bounce and card draw, and he turns off a lot of stuff that those decks don't want to deal with.

He's also a rock solid "I win" button in control mirror matches. I don't know if something like Scepter-Chant can make a comeback, but if it could, it would be solely due to this guy.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I think Teferi is best in a Bant Maverick type of shell. He's bounce and card draw, and he turns off a lot of stuff that those decks don't want to deal with.

He's also a rock solid "I win" button in control mirror matches. I don't know if something like Scepter-Chant can make a comeback, but if it could, it would be solely due to this guy.
    Well, I'd kind of hesitate to declare him an "I win button" though, because, well, he doesn't win. He might put you in a position to possibly win, but if you drop this and I drop Jace, if you don't have a counterspell, well, that you aren't likely "winning" there. So, no, this guy is one, obviously not as good as Jace. But he does cost less mana, and hoses opposing counter-magic so that is something. Consider too, that if you put this in your deck, vs. Miracles for example, you might only have, at times, one bounce target and it might just be a Snapcaster. In that sort of case, well, it's definitely not an ideal ability. In fact, maybe even a liability.

It's not clear to me that this card is really overly powerful, even if it does seem somewhat useful perhaps.

Thread Information