Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Spark

bruizar

Re: War of the Spark

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I was referring to the ones they commissioned for War of the Spark. They stated in the article where they talk about and list the Stained Glass walker arts that they're not going to use them on cards.
    If they chose the stained glass art, people would also complain. It's never good :)

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

It begins...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    It begins...
    Huh? A Shadows over Innistrad bulk mythic?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

It begins...

Spoilers? More like soilers!
    Bring be the spoilers!

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

If that is not an Omni-Tell card I don't know what is.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    If that is not an Omni-Tell card I don't know what is.
    OK, but the card came out 3 years ago and there is literally zero reason to suppose it is in War of the Spark.

So, I guess I am missing the "joke" here?

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    OK, but the card came out 3 years ago and there is literally zero reason to suppose it is in War of the Spark.

So, I guess I am missing the "joke" here?
    He's trying to Behold the Beyond, hence the card pic.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Indeed.

Does Wizards do anything at Adepticon? I don't think they usually do...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    This is the kinda bullshit that allowed Cardboard Crack to survive so long.

Indeed.

Does Wizards do anything at Adepticon? I don't think they usually do...
    Nah, adepticon is miniatures. But, this weekend is their big esports arena thing, so we'll see some stuff there. We already saw Ajani's pridemate. Which is... meh.

I'm of the opinion that with 36 planeswalkers in the set, their bound to fsck up at least 2 or 3 of them on the powerlevel curve. Hopefully we get some mind sculptors and not just some tibalts.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    Nah, adepticon is miniatures. But, this weekend is their big esports arena thing, so we'll see some stuff there. We already saw Ajani's pridemate. Which is... meh.

I'm of the opinion that with 36 planeswalkers in the set, their bound to fsck up at least 2 or 3 of them on the powerlevel curve. Hopefully we get some mind sculptors and not just some tibalts.
    I don't know, they are usually so super-conservative, I feel it's likely they all suck.

I don't think we ever see another JTMS, but I guess it's possible we see another LotV.

On my scale, which is an arbitrary scale based on JTMS as a 10, I don't think we have ever seen a 9, as LotV is an 8 to me. I don't think any other 'Walker breaks a 7, off the top of my head.

I don't know, they are usually so super-conservative, I feel it's likely they all suck.

I don't think we ever see another JTMS, but I guess it's possible we see another LotV.

On my scale, which is an arbitrary scale based on JTMS as a 10, I don't think we have ever seen a 9, as LotV is an 8 to me. I don't think any other 'Walker breaks a 7, off the top of my head.
    Somewhere, ugin exiles one solitary tear.

Just for fun, do you 'rate' them in general or rate them in the best deck they generally occupy?

on topic: I'm personally excited for the EDH aspect. My superfriends deck would enjoy playing with some new toys. Even if they kinda suck there might be a gem or two that synergizes well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Just for fun, do you 'rate' them in general or rate them in the best deck they generally occupy?

on topic: I'm personally excited for the EDH aspect. My superfriends deck would enjoy playing with some new toys. Even if they kinda suck there might be a gem or two that synergizes well.
    I'm also excited for the edh aspect, and not just because I think this set might finally break their "no, it MUST be legendary creatures" idiocy, seeing as planeswalkers have literally taken the function of legendary creatures in the story.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Somewhere, ugin exiles one solitary tear.
    Ugin is a very good card. But is not a casting cost that lends itself to general playability is Legacy.

I'd say in general, as in, "general play-ability." For example, I rate JTMS as the "best ever" because there is almost no player or deck that would want a 4 mana Planeswalker, be in Blue, and then not play Jace. (+2, 0, and -12 being great against anything, while -1 is gravy.) So, it's not an absolute scale, because that would be nonsense at some point, the "objectively" best Planeswalker would cost , be uncounterable, win the game on the spot and so on. Just absurd really. JTMS is unique in that you often need to make a case for not including him, not a case for.

So, instead, we start by assigning one to be "the best" and then look to rank things "proportionally." I don't rank LotV a 9, because a 9 would mean "broadly playable." Not every deck that is in Black and wants a three mana 'Walker wants LotV, because her symmetrical discard. Not to mention, -2 is useless versus decks with no creatures and -6 does not literally win the game. So, I think it'd be fair to consider LotV a 9, but I don't think she really is, I don't think we've ever seen a 9.

In my mind, most "playable" 'Walkers are a 7. Lower than that and they only really see play in niches, where there is a "unique" need. That doesn't mean they are bad, but rather, just not generally useful (especially not in Legacy/Vintage).

I'd think we see a couple 7's from the 36 of this set. But likely no 8. And almost certainly not a 9. Ten I think is just right out, there won't be another JTMS.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Okay, so here's what happened...

Some idiot on Salvation necro'd a three year old thread of a card I'd swear I've never seen with a set symbol that looks like every other recent set symbol.

Then this idiot posts it here like it's a new awful card.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

"War of the Spork"
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Some idiot on Salvation necro'd a three year old thread of a card I'd swear I've never seen with a set symbol that looks like every other recent set symbol.

I actually saw that on MTGS and had a hunch that was what happened, but hey, no harm, no foul.

Eh, i'd have just ran with it. some of us thought you were the supreme lord of memes and were just so over our heads. haha.

I'd say in general, as in, "general play-ability." For example, I rate JTMS as the "best ever" because there is almost no player or deck that would want a 4 mana Planeswalker, be in Blue, and then not play Jace. (+2, 0, and -12 being great against anything, while -1 is gravy.) So, it's not an absolute scale, because that would be nonsense at some point, the "objectively" best Planeswalker would cost , be uncounterable, win the game on the spot and so on. Just absurd really. JTMS is unique in that you often need to make a case for not including him, not a case for.

So, instead, we start by assigning one to be "the best" and then look to rank things "proportionally." I don't rank LotV a 9, because a 9 would mean "broadly playable." Not every deck that is in Black and wants a three mana 'Walker wants LotV, because her symmetrical discard. Not to mention, -2 is useless versus decks with no creatures and -6 does not literally win the game. So, I think it'd be fair to consider LotV a 9, but I don't think she really is, I don't think we've ever seen a 9.

In my mind, most "playable" 'Walkers are a 7. Lower than that and they only really see play in niches, where there is a "unique" need. That doesn't mean they are bad, but rather, just not generally useful (especially not in Legacy/Vintage).

I'd think we see a couple 7's from the 36 of this set. But likely no 8. And almost certainly not a 9. Ten I think is just right out, there won't be another JTMS.
    I was thinking this was probably what you meant. Makes sense to me. I'm kind of banking on them just completely missing a power level or interaction on some level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I was thinking this was probably what you meant. Makes sense to me. I'm kind of banking on them just completely missing a power level or interaction on some level.
    I mean, we can never discount it as possible, because JTMS exists, but they've actually been so overtly conservative in design, that I don't think they are out to "push" anything even close to a PL 9.

So, if we got something that "playable" it would likely have to be a total mistake. Like, a Skullclamp-like mistake. But those are usually few a far between now. And since 'Walkers are now pretty much "chase cards" I don't know they'd overlook something now. But mistakes are mistakes and they can and do happen. So, I guess with 36 there is a higher chance, but it doesn't seem at all like a "good" chance to me at all.

I think we likely end up with a whole bunch of pseudo-recycled abilities and CMCs with one or two being "Teferi-like power-level" sorts that are pushed to sell for Standard. If I were to bet, that is where I put the money, but again, anything is possible. Dack Fayden would be shit in Standard, but is pretty great in Vintage, so niches matter. We might get one particularly suited for our Legacy niche, but I still doubt something like a PL 9. Or even an 8, honestly.

Thread Information