Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: War of the Spark

Re: War of the Spark

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, I'd kind of hesitate to declare him an "I win button" though, because, well, he doesn't win. He might put you in a position to possibly win, but if you drop this and I drop Jace, if you don't have a counterspell, well, that you aren't likely "winning" there. So, no, this guy is one, obviously not as good as Jace. But he does cost less mana, and hoses opposing counter-magic so that is something. Consider too, that if you put this in your deck, vs. Miracles for example, you might only have, at times, one bounce target and it might just be a Snapcaster. In that sort of case, well, it's definitely not an ideal ability. In fact, maybe even a liability.

It's not clear to me that this card is really overly powerful, even if it does seem somewhat useful perhaps.
    How does any Jace control deck win vs. another control deck when it can't cast instants or counter things? Also, Teferi can target your own Snapcasters to bounce. He doesn't only hit opposing permanents.

Apr 2011
    Germany

"Eternal Taskmaster" is a good zombie and looks strong at first glance, but 2B is a lot of mana, brings the creature only to hand, and he has to attack.
    If you want the ability outside of a zombie deck you might want to look at Genesis. Not really new tech.
    Poor Shambling Ghoul is outdated now.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    How does any Jace control deck win vs. another control deck when it can't cast instants or counter things? Also, Teferi can target your own Snapcasters to bounce. He doesn't only hit opposing permanents.
    Jace lets you brainstorm to dig for the card you need to remove Teferi.

Or bounces a creature, or fate seal. At least one of his abilities will always do something.

And his ultimate actually wins the game.

Wheras Teferi only stops instants and his + and - abilities are very situational. He is far from being an "I win" card wheras Jace is an actual win-con.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Sure, I mean, the ability has usefulness, I'm not doubting it.

How does a Jace control deck win without casting Instants as Instants? Well, I mean, it's pretty obvious that if your hand is juiced with counters and your resolve Teferi, you will likely win. But only thinking about the best possible cases won't really give you a well-rounded idea of how the card will play out. Miracles decks can do things at Sorcery speed that are fine vs. Teferi. For example, cast Council's Judgement, cast Monestary Mentor and a cantrip or two a Sorcery speed, cast Jace. Even, Sorcery-speed Snapcaster for "value" until they are ready to do something else seem like a not so "terrible" plan, because Teferi won't ever "ultimate" so there aren't many other consequences, if the deck in question isn't trying to add to it's board besides lands or Planewalkers.

I mean, if we presuppose that we always land Teferi in a situation that deads our opponent's whole hand and strategy, it mean, then yeah, it's good. But I don't think that is often what would actually happen. So, the card seems reasonable, but hardly overly powerful/a default inclusion in a UW deck.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

This set is rock solid.

Dreadhorde Arcanist

Trample
    Whenever Dreadhorde Arcanist attacks, you may cast target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost less than or equal to Dreadhorde Arcanist's power from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead."

EDIT: And yes, this works with Ancestral Vision/free spells.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Forgetting Combo with Equipment or Pump spells, Forgetting anything regarding 0 CMC spells, he still seems pretty decent as just . . . idk copying all the burn spells in your grave?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Forgetting Combo with Equipment or Pump spells, Forgetting anything regarding 0 CMC spells, he still seems pretty decent as just . . . idk copying all the burn spells in your grave?
    Yeah this card is pretty good. I'm not sure where he goes, maybe in SB for grind MUs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

That's where my mind went to. His attacks would be 4 damage a turn which makes him worth considering.
    Not having haste means it's a do-nothing turn, which is also makes him not worth it.
    Interested to see what better burn players think.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Does this replace Young Pyro in Grixis? Or does it make UWR Stoneblade viable? Or does it go in URG Cascade?

Off the top of my head:

Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Ancestral Visions
    Lightning Bolt
    Swords to Plowshares (or PtE depending)
    Chain Lightning
    Thoughtseize
    Fatal Push

Anything big I'm missing there?

EDIT: UWR Stoneblade

4x Dreadhorde Arcanist
    4x Snapcaster
    4x SfM

1x Jitte
    1x Sword of X/Y
    1x Batterskull

4x Brainstorm
    4x Bolt
    4x Path/StP
    4x Ponder

4x FoW

4x new Teferi

3x flex

18x lands

Is that about right?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It's nice he gets it on the attack because them you can clear the path with a bolt from the yard or something. I want to Become Immense him and cast Cruel Ultimatum personally, but I know it's bad
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

It might be hard to run him alongside Snapcaster as they both exile your cards from the grave. You might get into situations where you have nothing to target in your grave.

Might see play as an SB card in Burn but don't see why you'd play it over snapcaster when you have access to blue.

It dies to bolt and does nothing the turn it's cast. Being repeatable is nice, but the risk of it not sticking and doing nothing is high.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Might see play as an SB card in Burn but don't see why you'd play it over snapcaster when you have access to blue.

It dies to bolt and does nothing the turn it's cast. Being repeatable is nice, but the risk of it not sticking and doing nothing is high.
    Right, I think if you are in Blue, you either, have maxed out on Snap-daddy, so this guy is plus, or you are looking to get something like Visions going.

If you aren't in Blue though, this is something to consider, given the sort of "poverty" that Red two-drops have, besides Young Peezy.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post

If only he was also green for GSZ purposes...
    That's a draw engine with Karakas. Combine it with Vial and this becomes pretty efficient.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Another thought for Karn, I know it's not vintage and we still don't know about the new mulligan rule, but lets say you run serum powder's and aggresively mulligan so you can get Karn out early. You can still use the -2 to search for artifacts exiled by serum powder (assuming there are any that you want). I'm not sure what deck really want's New Karn as he takes up only 4 spaces and slots right into any deck that run's Sol Lands pretty easy. Even if you aren't using an artifact deck, if you can manage to get 4 mana turn 3 and 6 mana turn 4 with ease which most Sol decks should be able to do, I think you have to justify not running New Karn?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Forgive me if this has been mentioned. But karn can be used to kill off an opponents artifact each turn if I am understanding that text correctly. (The text a a bit wonky)
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned. But karn can be used to kill off an opponents artifact each turn if I am understanding that text correctly. (The text a a bit wonky)
    Yes, the wording posted here is off, but the ability does seem to be worded like Karn, Silver Golem. (Which means it will also do it's Equipment trick too, only at Sorcery speed, of course.)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    (Which means it will also do it's Equipment trick too, only at Sorcery speed, of course.)
    And since he's a one-sided Null Rod, it can also shut down the reequip. This can even snipe off equipment from TNN.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Another thought for Karn, I know it's not vintage and we still don't know about the new mulligan rule, but lets say you run serum powder's and aggresively mulligan so you can get Karn out early. You can still use the -2 to search for artifacts exiled by serum powder (assuming there are any that you want). I'm not sure what deck really want's New Karn as he takes up only 4 spaces and slots right into any deck that run's Sol Lands pretty easy. Even if you aren't using an artifact deck, if you can manage to get 4 mana turn 3 and 6 mana turn 4 with ease which most Sol decks should be able to do, I think you have to justify not running New Karn?
    Also with Karn powder can just attack for 3 or ramp you into your lock

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    And since he's a one-sided Null Rod, it can also shut down the reequip. This can even snipe off equipment from TNN.
    Oh, yeah, that too, forgot about his Static Ability for a moment there.

I mean, the card seems pretty decent, but I really unsure if he is better (overall) than Scion of Urza. I mean, it really depends on the deck, I think. The two might be "equally" good in completely different ways and for completely different decks.

Thread Information