Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: War of the Spark

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    This set is rock solid.

Dreadhorde Arcanist

Trample
    Whenever Dreadhorde Arcanist attacks, you may cast target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost less than or equal to Dreadhorde Arcanist's power from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead."

EDIT: And yes, this works with Ancestral Vision/free spells.
    Sorry for double post, but become Immense into cast become Immense again is actually pretty nasty
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Sorry for double post, but become Immense into cast become Immense again is actually pretty nasty
    Add in Berserk and you could be (almost) playing Infect without playing Infect!
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Re Dreadhorde Arcanist:

How does this fit into existing mono r burn? Is it a straight up replacement for swiftspear or does it play alongside it and/or is there even room for this card?
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

I’m almost more interested in the new teferi in a combo shell than a control deck, or perhaps a hybrid. Being a city of solitude that is one sided and pitches to force seems pretty decent. He can also deal with problematic permanents temporarily. He does, of course, die to reb.

I was thinking of him in something along the lines of the “miracle of science” deck that popped up. He breaks the symmetry of dream halls which is cool but probably too slow (I love tempest block in general so I will probably try it).

Overall I am very happy with wotc printing a bunch of potentially powerful cards, and hope there are more to come in the modern focused set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Add in Berserk and you could be (almost) playing Infect without playing Infect!
    There are plenty of red creatures that get attack boosts from instants, like Kiln Fiend, to play along with this. Going RG still sucks due to lack of disruption, but there should be enough red Berserk alternatives (aka double strike granters) in Modern to make this work. Slap Rancor onto it and you get a solid value engine, too.

As for Legacy, Blazing Shoal + this would be hilarious, but that's too much of Magical Christmasland.

Edit: If you can bring him to 5+ power and have at least one green mana open, it can also Double Berserk for 20+ trample damage. That's nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Forgetting Combo with Equipment or Pump spells, Forgetting anything regarding 0 CMC spells, he still seems pretty decent as just . . . idk copying all the burn spells in your grave?
    Fatal Push, and/or a discard spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    There are plenty of red creatures that get attack boosts from instants, like Kiln Fiend, to play along with this. Going RG still sucks due to lack of disruption, but there should be enough red Berserk alternatives (aka double strike granters) in Modern to make this work. Slap Rancor onto it and you get a solid value engine, too.

As for Legacy, Blazing Shoal + this would be hilarious, but that's too much of Magical Christmasland.

Edit: If you can bring him to 5+ power and have at least one green mana open, it can also Double Berserk for 20+ trample damage. That's nasty.
    What does Blazing SHoal do here?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Turn 2 - Dreadhorde Arcanist
    Turn 3 - (Land + Groundswell/Vines of Vastwood)/Might of Old Krosa/Become Immense/Invigorate(assuming opponent is at 17 or less) + double Berserk

Generally, also Invigorate is fun, because you can cast a 3 CMC (assuming no ramp) turn 3, and attack Invigorate for free, and copy it. Not sure what 3 CMC spells are worth the trouble for such a combo but you can do it.

Edit - FourDogsinaHorseSuit also has a good point with discard spells. I always want to play a black red deck and that could be fun . . . a bunch of burn and discard and Dreadhorde Arcanist

Quote Originally Posted by joven View Post
    "Eternal Taskmaster" is a good zombie and looks strong at first glance, but 2B is a lot of mana, brings the creature only to hand, and he has to attack.
    If you want the ability outside of a zombie deck you might want to look at Genesis. Not really new tech.
    Poor Shambling Ghoul is outdated now.
    If you care about the zombie typing Dread Wanderer is just better to me. I'd trade the one toughness for Menace, can replace itself, and it's return ability is almost always cheaper. (I mean, are you ever playing a zombie that costs more than 3?)
    That said, this guy is reusable, but IME you just throw out the two-drop to bait them into removing it instead of a much better 3 drop.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Edit - FourDogsinaHorseSuit also has a good point with discard spells. I always want to play a black red deck and that could be fun . . . a bunch of burn and discard and Dreadhorde Arcanist
    If I could find a reasonable way to make this guy's power 2 all the time, my priapism would probably last forever, thinking about throwing Hymn after Hymn at the opponent...

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If I could find a reasonable way to make this guy's power 2 all the time, my priapism would probably last forever, thinking about throwing Hymn after Hymn at the opponent...
    Exalted? Stack triggers correctly and you get 2 power plus you get 4 ass which is real good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Re Dreadhorde Arcanist:

How does this fit into existing mono r burn? Is it a straight up replacement for swiftspear or does it play alongside it and/or is there even room for this card?
    Swiftspear costs: R and deals damage the turn you play it. Earliest this deals damage is turn 3. This doesn't fit.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Exalted? Stack triggers correctly and you get 2 power plus you get 4 ass which is real good.
    Yeah, the color costs (that Hierarch doesn't make Black sucks) make it a bit awkward, but you could double Hymn on turn 3, which isn't necessarily horrible.

Bayou->Noble
    Badlands->Arcanist
    Whatever->Hymn, attack Hymn again.

Although, in Magical Christmas land, you could do it turn 2:
    Mox Diamond, Land->Arcanist
    Land-Noble, Hymn, attack Hymn again.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Lol, dream sequence:

1) Land + Nobel
    2) Land + Spirit Guide --> Hymn and then Dreadhorde Arcanist
    3) Attack with Arcanist --> Hymn. Do something for 3 mana.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

I sure hope the translation is correct then. Dreadhorde Arcanist says "if 'that' card...", so this is a sweet engine. If it says "if 'a' card..." or some version that means any card, it is much less attractive.

Barook, can you confirm this translation?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Oh my God that's going in Stax. Wow. May my Tangle Wire never die.
    Dice box, how good is that really? You are devoting five mana to keep the opponent short on four permanents at best. I guess five is possible if you have 8 mana on the turn you cast tangle wire. My stat experience is dated, but I recall mana being at a premium.

I suppose if you have more than one permanent benefitting it gets better. Can you enlighten us exactly how you would use it? I barely know what goes on Stax anymore.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    What does Blazing SHoal do here?
    Let's you cast big spells that you put into the yard previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I sure hope the translation is correct then. Dreadhorde Arcanist says "if 'that' card...", so this is a sweet engine. If it says "if 'a' card..." or some version that means any card, it is much less attractive.

Barook, can you confirm this translation?
    It's "that" card.

Well, Teferi seems ok. What's the case for his playability though?

As in, where do you see him being used and why? I mean, Does Miracles want him? Does Stoneblade? Does he fit in a Delver/Tempo shell?

On the surface he does seem like a "glorified" bounce spell. And of course, his +1 is of limited value. So, what do we imagine his general use would be? I mean, he passes many of our usual "initial" grounds for playablity. That is, his CMC is 3, that's good. He can "protect" himself. His static ability does seem somewhat useful.

So, how does that come together though? +1 will often be just literally +1 and he doesn't really offer any card advantage, merely tempo advantage. So, perhaps this is more useful in Modern? It's not clear to me...
    At the very least hes going to be sideboard in every UW deck to fight counter spells. It also turns off miracle cards. Resolving this against Miracles is almost a guaranteed win I would think. What are they going to do at that point? In the meantime you get to resolve everything. They can't even Terminus. If they don't have Council's Judgment ready they will lose. And they can't even fight you over that if you have a counter ready.

Re-buying a Snapcaster and drawing a card is just icing on the cake.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    At the very least hes going to be sideboard in every UW deck to fight counter spells. It also turns off miracle cards. Resolving this against Miracles is almost a guaranteed win I would think. What are they going to do at that point? In the meantime you get to resolve everything. They can't even Terminus. If they don't have Council's Judgment ready they will lose. And they can't even fight you over that if you have a counter ready.

Re-buying a Snapcaster and drawing a card is just icing on the cake.
    I don't quite understand the logic of "if they don't have Council's Judgment ready they will lose" though. I already went over this.

They can play Mentor, they can play Jace, they can play Snapcasters, still get value, Counterbalance can still counter things, even if they can't set the top. Indeed, I already agreed that if your hand is juiced when you resolve Teferi, then indeed, you will be way ahead. I'm not saying the card is bad or unplayable. I'm just saying, I don't buy this card being a default inclusion in every UW deck, de facto, or that it is a flat out house versus Miracles. It's good and will be useful, but it isn't overwhelmingly so, I don't think.

I don't quite understand the logic of "if they don't have Council's Judgment ready they will lose" though. I already went over this.

They can play Mentor, they can play Jace, they can play Snapcasters, still get value, Counterbalance can still counter things, even if they can't set the top. Indeed, I already agreed that if your hand is juiced when you resolve Teferi, then indeed, you will be way ahead. I'm not saying the card is bad or unplayable. I'm just saying, I don't buy this card being a default inclusion in every UW deck, de facto, or that it is a flat out house versus Miracles. It's good and will be useful, but it isn't overwhelmingly so, I don't think.
    Your argument basically boils down that Teferi is not a win-con which is rather obvious. But just because it doesn't screw your opponents plan and directly win the game doesn't mean its not going to be a great card against control decks. Once he's on the table he allows your win-cons to resolve and avoid being removed. That's why I think resolving one will make you win the match-up. I will be interested to see how this ends up. I definitely see this at least as a main stay sideboard card in any deck that can make blue and white mana. I could be wrong.

Thread Information