Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would best of 1 do to Legacy?

What would best of 1 do to Legacy?

So, WotC is testing out a Best of 1 "quick draft" format in real life stores soon. There's some rumors that they are trying it out to see if they can push for it across the board. I wanted to explore what that would do to Legacy a bit, and see if (as I suspect) it would pretty much just nuke the format.

My initial thought is that we'd have a problem with the various easily hated decks (e.g. dredge) because there are enough, different, decks like that that you can't run hate for all of them maindeck, but in best of 1 you need to run every answer you are going to play maindeck.

Thoughts?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: What would best of 1 do to Legacy?

Eternal formats would suffer alot since glass cannon strategies (and their counters) would become alot more prominent.

I can see why WotC is trying to push it (faster games = more exciting = more profit in their mind), but it's going to fuck with the one of the fundamental core parts of the game.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Chalice and blood moon decks would also warp the format a lot if there is only one game.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Eternal formats would suffer alot since glass cannon strategies (and their counters) would become alot more prominent.

I can see why WotC is trying to push it (faster games = more exciting = more profit in their mind), but it's going to fuck with the one of the fundamental core parts of the game.
    Honestly, I think there's two fundamental problems with best of 1. Glass cannons (e.g. ability to sideboard) and I get to go first variance. Both of which are problems that are exacerbated by the cardpool in Legacy I think.

I guess another question is -- given that it would dramatically warp the format (and obviously best of 1 legacy would be a completely different format), would that new format be *bad*, or would it be able to settle on a stable and interesting meta?

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    So, WotC is testing out a Best of 1 "quick draft" format in real life stores soon. There's some rumors that they are trying it out to see if they can push for it across the board. I wanted to explore what that would do to Legacy a bit, and see if (as I suspect) it would pretty much just nuke the format.

My initial thought is that we'd have a problem with the various easily hated decks (e.g. dredge) because there are enough, different, decks like that that you can't run hate for all of them maindeck, but in best of 1 you need to run every answer you are going to play maindeck.

Thoughts?
    Best of 1 won't come to constructed. It's not like in sealed and draft where your "Sideboard" would have much impact. What changes do you honestly make to a sealed deck between rounds? If the card was playable you would have ran it to begin with.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Best of 1 won't come to constructed. It's not like in sealed and draft where your "Sideboard" would have much impact. What changes do you honestly make to a sealed deck between rounds? If the card was playable you would have ran it to begin with.
    Best of one is crappy for all formats. Variance is high in magic, There are a lot of games that are decided by the number of lands that you draw (None or too much). In draft and sealed, having a second and maybe third game is a blessing just because of that :)
    And anyway, there also are relevant sideboard cards in limited, like anti-enchant or artefact only cards.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Sounds like a great idea in Limited or *snicker* Brawl *snicker*

Would be bad in all other situations though.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Seems horrible for legacy, but I would finally be able to play a presideboarded Manipulate Fate-deck..

In STANDARD best of one makes the person who goes first win 60% of the time. In Legacy that might go up to 80%. Everyone would play Dredge or Belcher or something equally stupid.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I don't think this change makes its way into constructed at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Having people play "best of 1" is a pretty bad idea. Maybe they hope that cranking up the variance will hide the failures of design and development, but simplifying things means that standard gets solved faster.

Bad feels for land screw and flood get a whole lot worse too.

Now that we know how WotC is implementing best of 1 (really? Two decks, play a random one?) -- any thoughts on what that would do to Legacy? Other than kill it in the face, I mean.

Everyone either plays Belcher or Chalice...
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It would mean I play Stax a lot more than I play Land's and the "Best of one" would still take 40 minutes as there is no reason for my opp to concede so they can access their sideboard hate against me.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Wouldn't Chalice and other glass cannon decks get worse? If the one game is the one where they don't draw their stupid sol + cup combo, they're boned, and if they do, more decks would actually have something like Disenchant to deal with it in game one, because you wouldn't be able to afford to keep all your specialty removal in the sideboard.

In fact, I think the decks that would get better are the decks that a lot of people here already don't like, which have cantrips to smooth out draws and find particular cards.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

It would make people like me start running their own tournaments, with best of three and blackjack and hookers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    Wouldn't Chalice and other glass cannon decks get worse? If the one game is the one where they don't draw their stupid sol + cup combo, they're boned, and if they do, more decks would actually have something like Disenchant to deal with it in game one, because you wouldn't be able to afford to keep all your specialty removal in the sideboard.

In fact, I think the decks that would get better are the decks that a lot of people here already don't like, which have cantrips to smooth out draws and find particular cards.
    High variance brews would benefit the most as you can't waste a game figuring out what your opponent is on. My evidence for this is my, admittedly anecdotal, absurd g1 win %.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I had like a 40% win rate with UB Reanimator, but that was with a 85% G1 win rate, easily the most frustrating thing about playing the deck.
    But that's assuming everybody just leaves their Surgical Extractions at home showing up to a best of 1 format. Man that'd be something.

I think either way, it would be terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Sep 2011

LOL time to sleeve up Dredge and crush events. Almost every single MU is an autowin preboard. With DRS gone, there's so little easily maindeckable GY interaction.

Snapcaster decks will gladly run Surgicals. D&T will maindeck Containment Priest (which Dredge can outrace). The rest will be forced to dilute their main plan just to not scoop to Dredge and BR Reanimator. They'll also need maindeck slots against Storm and Emrakuls. That's a lot of dead slots, decreasing their consistency a lot and win rate against other fair decks. Fair decks sound terrible.

Meta: Dredge, Reanimator, Storm, Prison, and blue control.

Blue still seems viable. FoW, Spell Pierce, Flusterstorm, Surgical, and Snapcaster gives you game against a wide range of unfair decks. Also Brainstorm. Brainstorm + Ponder makes it easier to run dead slots.

Thread Information