Thread: Red-Green Low Mana Aggro

Red-Green Low Mana Aggro

Hi everyone. First time posting here. I played a lot of MTG in high school but haven't followed it in about a decade. Lately my interest in MTG has been reinvigorated and I'm trying to retool my red-green deck as I think some of the cards in it can be replaced with better, more recent cards (goodbye Scab-Clan Mauler). I've already purchased some cards but am looking for any suggestions. I want it to be aggro low mana cost (Blitz Hellion the one exception to this; I'd like to keep everything else ideally 3 or under).

Lands
    10 Mountain
    8 Forest
    4 Rootbound Craig

Enchantments
    4 Rancor

Instants
    4 Lighting Bolt
    4 Incinerate
    2 Naturalize

Creatures
    4 Vexing Devil
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    4 Ghor Clan Rampager (mostly using this for Bloodrush ability; it seems to combine Colossal Might with the option of casting as a creature)
    Blitz Hellion?
    Voltaic Brawler?
    Eidolon of the Great Revel?

Questions
    - Should I spring for a set of Stomping Grounds?
    - Replace Naturalize with Hull Breach?
    - Too many creatures?
    - Add Banefires?
    - I'm trying to think of other good Auras. I had Moldervine Cloak in the deck before but not sure if there's something better?
    - Any other cards?

Thanks for any suggestions/tips!

Feb 2020
    Madison, WI

Re: Red-Green Low Mana Aggro

Hi there, wintershaker! Welcome back to the game!

This seems like a very casual list, as many of the cards you’re playing - including Naturalize and Incinerate — can be replaced with much better cards in the Legacy pool. So before I critique, do you mind letting us know what kind of perspective you’d like? Are you looking to play casually at a kitchen table, maybe at a weekly low-stakes Legacy event at a local shop, or maybe play something a little more competitive? Normally the “new and developing decks” forum is used for decks that need slightly further tuning until they can become competitive, but there’s no harm in creating a casual, yet Legacy-legal, build. I just want to confirm your thoughts.

That being said ... no matter what your plans are, get some Wild Nacatl in there! I think you’ll like her.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    He doesn’t have wasteland this turn, but he finds it the next. And wastes my Maze. I do get 1 zombie, but apparently stealing a zombie is just an act of petty theft? Seems like kind of a big theft to me since it stole the whole game... I die.

Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    Hi there, wintershaker! Welcome back to the game!

This seems like a very casual list, as many of the cards you’re playing - including Naturalize and Incinerate — can be replaced with much better cards in the Legacy pool. So before I critique, do you mind letting us know what kind of perspective you’d like? Are you looking to play casually at a kitchen table, maybe at a weekly low-stakes Legacy event at a local shop, or maybe play something a little more competitive? Normally the “new and developing decks” forum is used for decks that need slightly further tuning until they can become competitive, but there’s no harm in creating a casual, yet Legacy-legal, build. I just want to confirm your thoughts.

That being said ... no matter what your plans are, get some Wild Nacatl in there! I think you’ll like her.
    Hi alec, and thanks for the welcome.

I thought this was a competitive-looking deck! But I guess it would be more casual. Given that I haven't played in about a decade, I'm unaware of many cards that would be improvements. Another friend suggested today, for instance, Cindervines or Destructive Revelry instead of Naturalize but that'd be an example where I'm eager to learn about new, better cards but I've just been away from MTG so long...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, are you looking to be competitive with Legacy decks, or just competitive with, say, your play-group's general meta?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

A few suggestions:

Chain lightning is better than Incinerate
    Berserks are cheap now!
    Soul-Scar Mage is like another Swiftspear not as fast but the ability is very relevant vs big creatures
    Collision//Colossus is an upgraded Colossal Might
    Mutagenic Growth is pretty great
    Kiln fiend is cool and hits hard and is cheaper than Goyf's
    Dreadhorde Arcanist is a hell of a card

When i was playing more often i would often try wacky brews based around cards i liked just to jam them at FNM, actually had some reasonable success with a Berserk Prowess deck that had a lot of similarities. If i would build it again with new cards i'd start with something like this and tweak accordingly. You don't need to be a berserk deck that's just my preference, but if you want it to be better just being more burn focused might be stronger and less all in.
    If you can afford Fetch lands it opens things up a lot. You could play things like Invigorate and Grim Lavamancer, but without shock/dual lands it's not as worth it. Here are some lists off the top of my head, they would need testing and adjusting but might give you some ideas:

Berserk build
    4 Soul-Scar Mage
    4 Monestery Swiftspear
    3 Goblin Guide
    4 Kiln Fiend
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist

4 Berserk
    4 Mutagenic Growth
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    3 Invigorate
    2 Reckless Charge
    2 Collision//Colossus

4 Taiga/Stomping Grounds
    3 Mountain
    1 Forest
    10 Fetch Lands

Burn Build (more Resilient)
    4 Soul-Scar Mage
    4 Monestery Swiftspear
    4 Goblin Guide
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Dreadhorde Arcanist

3 Mutagenic Growth
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Collision//Colossus
    3 Reckless Charge
    2 Destructive Revelry

4 Taiga/Stomping Grounds
    3 Mountain
    1 Forest
    10 Fetch Lands

Without Dual lands things like Coperline Gorge get more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, are you looking to be competitive with Legacy decks, or just competitive with, say, your play-group's general meta?
    I suppose more casual.

Thanks for the suggestions, ReAnimator. Some of those cards look like they'd fit in very well. I will definitely be looking to acquire some of these. Invigorate looks good!

Thread Information