Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many decks to you play?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

How many decks to you play?

I was just curious about what everyone's approach to legacy in regards to deck diversity. One of the bigger discussions in the B/R Thread (don't worry, I'm not going there) is about learning the metagame and how the metagame evolves. Do people have different decks available to adjust to changes in the metagame or are you all-in on one deck? Some people are hard-core masters at their deck (Bryant Cook with TES comes to mind, or Julian Knab with Elves) but others seem to bounce around to different decks. I was just curious what the percentages are for this community as far as committing to one strategy or having several options available given metagame changes (or boredom, personal whim, etc.)

For me, my primary deck is Turbo Depths. It used to be Rock/Junk before DRS was banned, but c'est la vie. However, I am also actively trying to have several other decks available in case of a big metagame shift or if I get bored. It gets expensive that way, but I am also patient and watch prices, trade in cards I don't use to the LGS for credit so I can purchase other cards. However long it takes I am actively trying to have staples available to play the types of decks I enjoy.

So I have these decks available to play if I wanted to:

Turbo Depths
    Ruby Storm
    Punishing Maverick
    Deadguy Ale/Rock/Nic Fit
    Mono-blue Delver/Mono-Blue Dreadstill

TL,DR - Do you play only one deck in Legacy or do you have 2+ options to keep from getting stale or bored?
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 09-17-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: How many decks to you play?

I usually only own 1 or 2 decks at a time. Right now Painter and Steel Stompy because they have a fair amount of overlap. But I've piloted many different decks at larger events from borrowing cards or just trading in and out of decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I have Miracles, Storm, Elves, and Dredge around, and I just got some wastelands so I could probably build Delver without too much effort.

Hilariously (I guess ) I built Elves so that if and when they banned either Gitaxian Probe or Deathrite Shaman, I would still have an engine deck to play; naturally, the DCI bans both in the same announcement....

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I play with my wife and lend decks out to friends, so once a deck gets built it usually stays built in some form. My "trade" binder ends up being all the sideboard options and deck variant cards.

Right now I have built:
    • UBg Reanimator
    • UWr Miracles
    • ANT
    • Deadguy Ale
    • Food Chain
    • Burn

I could turn Reanimator into some sort of UBx Delver list; Miracles has been reincarnated many times ad Landstill, Quinn & Parfait; ANT was TES once; Deadguy came from a Pox list; Food Chain could just as easily be BUG Delver. Burn is just Burn I guess.
    I mean I could recombobulate all the cards and make a UR Delver list, but it would leave behind a number of 75% completed decks, which does me no good if someone tags along to a tournament and needs a deck. So if I ever made that move, it would be by getting another set of Force of Wills and Volcanic Islands. But in this economy, seems unlikely. My ceiling has been reached.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I don't get to play much any more (usually about once a month), because I just don't have the time, but here's an idea of the last few decks I played:

Strawberry Shortcake
    12 Post
    Aggro Loam
    Enchantress
    Grixis Control
    Death and Taxes
    Bomberman (Wb)
    Steel Stompy

That's all I can remember since the Deathrite ban. I can pretty much build anything, I own more than enough cards. Looking at this list:

The only deck there I can't build would be Burn, because I never bothered to buy Eidolons. Oh and I am missing one Thalia's Leuitenent to build Humans correctly. I don't know what RUG Faeries is, but I likely have the cards to build it. I think I am missing a couple sideboard cards for optimal Dragon Stompy too.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

For the moment I'm on slow depths, but I also have in (descending order of most played):

Enchantress
    Elves
    Painter
    Dredge (both LED and manaless)
    Mono-Red Prison
    Lands
    Infect
    UW RiP Helm
    Belcher

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I had everything, but I found I was not using most of it so I sold a lot. Now I have:

Lands
    Turbo Depths
    Elves
    Stax
    Red Stompy
    Eldrazi
    Man of Steel
    Reset Tide
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Cool, it seems like a lot of people have the option to play legacy essentially how they want to. I think this is one of the bigger issues facing the format. It changes so slowly over time so your deck is valid almost indefinitely (in some form) but the issue becomes how to stay engaged without getting bored. One thing I noticed for a while is that many of the locals would have a tier deck built but have Turbo Depths or Death and Taxes in their back pocket.

I also noticed that a lot of players let others borrow decks to get a different experience at the weeklies. This takes a tight community, which we have, which is pretty awesome. People that would never purchase a Tabernacle get the experience of piloting Lands if they want. Non-blue players get to sling Force of Wills and Volcanic Islands. The Miracles guy that is bored borrows Turbo Depths or Br Reanimator. I didn't know if this was widespread or if people are just lone rangers dedicated to their one deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Cool, it seems like a lot of people have the option to play legacy essentially how they want to. I think this is one of the bigger issues facing the format. It changes so slowly over time so your deck is valid almost indefinitely (in some form) but the issue becomes how to stay engaged without getting bored.
    This has been my approach to legacy/T1. Build your core deck, and then slowly update it as cards come out/the format shifts. Works real well since I don't have lots of time to dedicate to legacy :(
    My current legacy builds:
    -aggro Pox
    -Ruby storm (see comment above about time, I still haven't taken out my probes yet)
    -Mono black Griselstorm.
    -proxied UB Death's Shadow (Have all the cards, just in different decks atm)
    -Manaless dredge.
    -flavor of the week jank build (tribal zombies, etc)

basically budget builds lol.

I spend most of my magic time in standard and EDH since that's what my friends mostly play.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I'll chime in just cause my situation is different that the posts so far...

I'm on one deck. No plans to- or interest in- building another. If I get bored, I take a break (from Legacy, not Magic).

There's no legacy near me since my last move, but I've got the following decks that I'd love to play again at some point...

Death and Taxes (+all splashes)
    Miracles
    4c Loam
    Ux Landstill (UR, UW, UB, UBR, UWR, BUG, 4c)
    MOST
    Dr Evil (BUG Control Lands)
    Aluren (R / W splashes)
    Green Stax / Trinity Green / Sylvan Plug types
    Merfolk
    Burn
    Parfait
    Nic Fit (BUG / Junk)
    Esper Mentor
    Tezzerator (UB / UBR)
    Grixis tempo
    Maverick (GW / GWb / GWr)
    Brave Sir Robin
    Deadguy Ale
    Stoneblade
    Panopticon (Thalia & Eldrazi stompy)

And some even more jank like things like Bant Edric Fish, Shardless Bant, Stasis, and several more various stompy flavors.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

I was just curious about what everyone's approach to legacy in regards to deck diversity.
    that's easy...
    i will make any deck for myself that doesn't have brainstorm in it.
    i will however make any deck for someone that wants into the legacy event but doesn't have a deck.

i have about or so 17 decks right now in various states of completion.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I have cards for dozens of different decks. I try to disassemble my decks as soon as I get home so I can build whatever for the next time around. That said, I usually have one deck I'm playing for a few months and I'll play a random less-good deck occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

Elves!
    Nic Fit
    Manaless Dredge
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Dec 2011
    Barcelona, Catalonia

I try to have just one or two decks ready to play. I am lucky enough to own a fairly decent pool, so I usually lend cards/decks to my friends. Just for the record, this is what I've been playing since last year:

Moon Stompy
    MUD Post
    Steel Stompy
    Turbo Depths
    Colorless Eldrazi
    Burn
    Zombardment
    White Eldrazi
    Manaless Dredge <--- Currently playing
    Eldrazi Post

...I've just realized that I've not sleeved any Brainstorm since January 2017.
    Colorless is the new blue
    http://ooh---shiny.blogspot.com

How many decks to you play?

As for many of us adult players the money constraint is not so severe but the time constraint is - and we become more collectors and theorycrafters. I got all the cards for the blue decks, delver, blade, miracle, SnT, storm, shardless, food chain. I also have cards for rock/nicfit and am working towards lands. I currently got TES, uwr miracle and Slow depths put together and sometimes lend a deck to a younger player on legacy nights at the game store. Most restrictive cards that i dont own is cradles, ports (i only play OG art) and cities. I recently accuired tabernacle by getting out of old school so next protect i lands. I’m also a playset fow away from having two blue fair decks at the same time. I’m teaching my 7yo son to play so there’s a meaning with that beyond just collecting.

I can build literally everything, unfortunatelly I get to play legacy one every onth or even two months. In past I used to gravitate towards few decks I really liked, nowadays I try to bring a different deck every time.. still far from completing the full circle of all decks rotation.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I was able to build anything in legacy up until a few years ago (with some small exceptions.)

right now i have sleeved up:
    (in no particular order)

mud stompy
    elves
    ruby storm
    goblins
    dredge & manaless dredge
    oops all spells

i probably would sleeve up ANT or TES, but my local has at least 1-2 ANT players every week. I used to play doomsday exclusively for several years, but I'm not such a fan in its current offering. i also still have all the cards for burn.

i like nicfit too and did have some fun playing a 75 card maindeck reanimator before DRS was banned, but i don't have enough time to play. i guess i average about 1-2 times per month, although in 2018 i probably played around 5 times.
    -rob

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    I have cards for dozens of different decks. I try to disassemble my decks as soon as I get home so I can build whatever for the next time around.
    Pretty much this. If I enjoy playing something I'll play it for 2 or 3 events, most of the time I just build something new each week. The exception would be GP prep, where I'll pick a deck and jam it for a couple months before the event.

EDIT: I think the last few events I played these:

Steel Stompy
    Faerie Stompy
    Miracles
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

I used to be on one deck only with a second one starting to build. Then they banned SDT and GP.

So it used to be:

- Doomsday

After the ban I started soul searching and my wallet screams at Wizards every day as I now can run:

- ANT
    - UB OmniTell
    - Bant Bomberman
    - UWr Standstill
    - Esper or Bant or Atraxa Colour Greed/Tempo
    - BUG Lands
    - Tin Fins

So yeah.....
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,