Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many decks to you play?

Worlds Strongest Millionaire
    Aug 2011
    Colorado

Re: How many decks to you play?

I don't really like to take decks apart so I have multiple play sets of certain staples mostly try to avoid expensive niche cards I don't get to play much these days this is what I have put together right now.

Modern
    Burn main
    U/R Storm

Pauper
    U/B Delver main
    Inside out combo

Legacy
    U/B Shadow main
    Death and Taxes
    Dredge
    R/B Reanimator
    Elves

Vintage
    U/R Xerox main
    Powerless Eldrazi

Commander
    Teferi, Temporal Archmage competitive
    Karador
    Kess
    Krenko

Old School
    Mono Black
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi

Jun 2012
    uk

Currently making 4 decks to play with

Sneak and Show
    Lands
    Pox
    Imperial Painter

Also tempted to make Cg 12 post but Candelabras are expensive :(

I'm a noob at mtg and want to prioritise learning one deck (which will probably be SnS) before branching out to other decks, but I bought a Tabernacle anyway before it went up in price because Lands looks like a lot of fun to play!
    Currently making / Playing:

Sneak and Show
    Shortcake Painter
    Pox

1 - Storm

going 1 deck in 2013 was the best decision possible (had Stax shell, Lands, Painter, Aluren) except for the $$$ loss, choosing the deck then the build used to give me a headache, let alone thinking I could keep up with up to date list and technical proficiency

for casual and nostalgia purposes I keep:

Oldschool - Troll disco/Beast control hybrid
    Olddesign Highlander - 5c ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Jun 2012
    uk

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    So I’m feeling that I’ve by far the smallest legacy collection here. I got the cards for:

Solidarity <—- currently my best deck and the one I run at local tourneys
    Mono U tempo/midrange

I HAD the bayou and all the cards for Spanish Inquisition, but decided to sell most of it off for playable EDH cards. Currently, I’m considering building aggro-depths, just cuz it’s a somewhat budget deck. I have all the depths, urborgs and loams, I just need all that other stuff to get the deck to stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    in all seriousness I think having 1 deck and focussing on that is ideal. better than doing the opposite and making a lot of decks and not deciding which one to commit to (like yours truly lol)
    Currently making / Playing:

Sneak and Show
    Shortcake Painter
    Pox

Quote Originally Posted by amjw View Post
    in all seriousness I think having 1 deck and focussing on that is ideal. better than doing the opposite and making a lot of decks and not deciding which one to commit to (like yours truly lol)
    Well, I’m sporting like 6edh decks! And like half of them are pretty skill intensive (lands, monoW combo and br suicide). My main legacy deck is pretty skill intensive too (solidarity).

I decided to go splurge and get myself some vials, karakas, Stoneforges, and try to build DnT. Seems pretty straightforward, and it’s always a blast playing against them while on solidarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

I have more than 40 dual lands so I can build neary any Legacy deck if I like. But I got a bit tired of Legacy recently, begin to pay my attention to pauper and save money for old school and power.

And I have bunch of Modern playable cards, but I hate to play that format.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    1 - Storm
    I used to play Grixis Control after the DRS ban and won tons of small event in my LGS, but it is too boring. so I got back to one of my favorite: ANT for fun.

Got 6-0 with it currently, the only single game I lost in these six matches is due to a bad luck Ad Nauseam, feels good.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

With my own collection:

Goblins
    Dredge
    Manaless Dredge
    Belcher
    Mono B Reanimator
    Tin Fins

Excluding USeas and Volcanics, I also have:

Grixis Delver
    UR Delver
    TES
    ANT
    UB Reanimator

Almost bought them years ago at $200/piece, but I took a hiatus from the game. Now I can't justify paying 4 times that. Sometimes I can borrow them for an event, so I leave the decks together. I can also borrow other decks from friends.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I think there's a fair chance that people with more decks are more eager to post, while you are probably interested in information that better represents the community, I guess? [edit: I want to encourage people with less options to provide their perspective too]. Anyway, here is my comment.

I now have these put together: BUG Nic Fit, UW Bomber-Painter, Bizarro Stormy, MOST, Punishing Loam.

I'm 5 fetches, a Savannah and a Gaddock short of having these without overlap. It would be good to have more Leylines too.

I have these decks half deconstructed:
    Food Chain, Infect, Soldier Stompy, Eldrazi, Eldrazi & Taxes, DnT, Miracles, Grixis Control, Maverick, TES, Sneaky Fit, Nyx Fit, Esper Bomberman, Pox, Shortcake, Tezzeret, Dredge, BUG Delver, Reanimator

Also have cards for:
    Aluren, Doomsday, ANT, Oozing

And I'm collecting cards for Goblins and slowly Solidarity. If a deck seems interesting and very cheap I consider building it, for fun and for lending.

I've been rebuilding decks every one or two weeks for years, but it takes hours to find cards as they are scattered in many different decks, boxes, piles and binders. So I've recently decided to try to manage my decks better, making an effort to figure out which decks I can have fully built in parallel; this should make it easier to lend out decks too. I often lend out a couple of cards or a deck in local events, now that should require less work.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Although I can build almost any deck in the format I dont keep them all built as many cards get reused and I only have 12x fow now. I keep a decent representation of the format constructed and could host my own 8man tournament with just what I have built. Some decks like SnS and depths I have 2 copies of because my wife played with me.

Now I just play depths. If I want to play a diff deck I just change my build of depths.

I also have 6edh decks built. 1 competitive and the rest for fun.

Dont play modern or standard because they are sad and depressing when coming from legacy.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Jul 2014
    Poxadelphia

Pox
    BR or UB Reanimator
    UB Shadow
    Turbo Depths
    Dredge

A Volc away from ANT.

Pox is the only one I play consistently.
    [I'll photograph your wedding for Reserved List cards]
    BEST PEASANT CUBE EVER.
    http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/35136
    900 Card Monstrosity. IG: naynayscube

In Vintage:

U/W Landstill (MTGO only)
    Ravager Shops (MTGO only)

In Legacy:

Eldrazi Post (both in paper and on MTGO)
    Eldrazi Stompy (both in paper and on MTGO)
    U/W Miracles (MTGO only)
    Steel Stompy (MTGO only)

In Modern:

Eldrazi Tron (both in paper and on MTGO)
    Mono Green Tron (both in paper and on MTGO)
    Humans (both in paper and on MTGO)
    Spirits (both in paper and on MTGO)
    U/W Control (MTGO only)
    Colorless Eldrazi (both in paper and on MTGO)

In Standard:

Jeskai Niv Mizzet Control (both in paper and on Arena)
    Mono Red Aggro (only on Arena)
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I tend to heavily focus on one at a time as long as it seems it has legs. I'm still on my Spell Queller brew; which did well before the DRS ban and has been alright recently as I get back into the game.

I may run Aluren; probably as a hybrid with Tezz/Thopters; but we'll see. Since my brew is working it's hard for me to want to "waste" a Local testing out a different deck. I've also sold out of most of my USeas and Volcs as well as some other things so it's easier to not have a half dozen decks pining for my attention.

____
    In casual multiplayer stuff; I keep at least a dozen reasonable (fairly budget) things lying around and would happily build a bunch more of them again if we were still playing that frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I unfoiled my Legacy deck and have been selling off pieces of my old 93/94 cube project (turns out this was a fantastic investment).
    That has allowed me to buy into Modern in a big way.

Legacy:
    Dragon Stompy

Modern:
    Mono-Red Prison
    U/R Storm
    Grixis Death's Shadow
    U/R Phoenix
    Neoform Combo
    Eight Rack
    Mono-Red Phoenix
    U/R Aggro
    Blue Moon
    Amulet Combo
    G Tron
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 10-02-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Unban Survival of the Fittest Activist
    Oct 2016
    Netherlands

Got a bit out of hand on my side.

I have:
    DnT (Foiled and non foil) with options to turn it into red green or black splash.
    Deadguy Ale
    Maverick
    Elves
    Enchantress (GW / Witch house and blue build w/candelbras)
    Goblins
    Delver ((Shardless)BUG, UR, Grixis etc)
    Food Chain
    Aluren
    Reanimator
    Dark Depths
    Lands (Missing Tabernacle but not gonna rebuy into that one)
    Loam
    High tide (Reset and Time Spiral)

8 FOWS so I can run 2 blue decks at once. I can build stuff in such a way that I can operate 6 decks independent from one another. Been tinkering bout getting 4 more FOW but first my mates need to stop slacking and play some more tournaments with my decks.
    Decks I own: 2x DnTx [B,G,R], Deadguy Ale, Maverick, Elves, Enchantress [WG/GU], Goblins, (Shardless) BUG, Food Chain, Aluren, High tide (reset/spiral), UR delver, RUG delver, Grixis Delver, Reanimator, Lands, Dark Depths (turbo / selesnya / hoogaak)

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. A.E. (1879 - 1955)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm moving in the opposite direction, now that I can play Stoneblade in modern. I'm going to trim right down to only 2-3 decks (outside of budget funsies like Ruby Storm sans LED.)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

All variants of Dredge, and Death & Taxes. I like losing.
    DDD / Death & Taxes

Thread Information