Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: [SCD] Light up the Stage

  1. #1

    [SCD] Light up the Stage

    So I've been seeing a lot of this card in Arena, and I'm pretty sure it's not only Legacy playable, but actually really strong. For reference

    Light up the Stage

    Light up the Stage
    2R
    Sorcery
    Spectacle R
    Exile the top two cards of your library, until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.

    The words "Next Turn" are what really sells this card, because it turns it into basically a pure draw 2 for R. Even if you draw 2 lands, you can still play them both out.

    The most obvious application is in burn type lists obviously, but it also works just about as well in Delver lists. I mean, Brainstorm and Ponder pretty much couldn't work any better to set this up if they tried. And all 3 are still good on their own, obviously. This is a lot of refueling in a RUG or Grixis Delver, or say a Dreadnought list or something similar.

    This feels like by far the biggest Legacy card of the set, and a huge sleeper. I guess time will tell, but I think we're all so used to these kinds of cards being "this turn" trash for 2 or 3 mana that this got overlooked big time.

  2. #2
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,770

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    #rubystorm
    -rob

  3. #3

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Its very strong. But I doubt better than the blue ones which limits it. Burn or dragon stumpy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

    Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

  4. #4

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    It plays around Chalice as well.

    Good card but not in a blue shell. Predict and Knowledge give you the very same cards (or more at Instant speed)

  5. #5

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Its very strong. But I doubt better than the blue ones which limits it. Burn or dragon stumpy?
    Attack with Delver. Cast Brainstorm - put two cards you want to play over the next two turns on top of your library, all counters in your hand. Cast Light up the Stage.

    Attack with Delver. Cast Ponder, put the counterspell into your hand and the land and creature on top. Cast Light up the Stage.

    No, seems to work pretty dang well with BS and Ponder as the mythical "3rd great cantrip, except it actually draws you cards"

  6. #6
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    3,824

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    I seriously think it will be played in at least Burn and Ruby Storm, possibly other decks. The card is very good, probably the best red draw spell since Faithless Looting.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  7. #7

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Attack with Delver. Cast Brainstorm - put two cards you want to play over the next two turns on top of your library, all counters in your hand. Cast Light up the Stage.

    Attack with Delver. Cast Ponder, put the counterspell into your hand and the land and creature on top. Cast Light up the Stage.

    No, seems to work pretty dang well with BS and Ponder as the mythical "3rd great cantrip, except it actually draws you cards"
    So the card is good when you have an active delver which is connecting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

    Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

  8. #8
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,259

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    I wish it was an instant, because it would be better but still fair kind of.
    If your opponent cracks a fetch or plays a shockland, you can cast this at the end of their turn for Spectacle, but then you'd only get the cards for your next turn, so it's half as long but the window to cast it is twice as big. Self regulating elegance. But then it'd be a Mythic most likely :/

    Anyways I really like the card, it's a flavorful red draw that the color pie needed. I'm hoping the design space gets explored more.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  9. #9

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Wonder how good it would be with something like Lava Dart for added value. You can just float a red mana and fire it off for its Replicate cost after dealing one damage. In other corner cases, it could be good with Revolt after losing the Mountain, too.
    The Night HE Came Home.

  10. #10
    Member
    mistercakes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Location

    Berlin
    Posts

    1,770

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    So the card is good when you have an active delver which is connecting...
    also good when you have a connecting goblin guide. :)
    -rob

  11. #11
    Member
    from Cairo's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    RI
    Posts

    1,107

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Burn and Ruby Storm
    ^

    Agreed, I'm planning to try both decks with 4x and go from there.
    TPDMC

  12. #12

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    I think it could work in something like affinity too. Basically anything aggressive that might play red.

  13. #13
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    1,041

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Burn might not want it. "R: draw 1 land and 1 Bolt" is worse tempo than just casting the Spectacle Bolt for R. If Burn needs gas, Risk Factor already sees play.

    Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    #rubystorm
    This

  14. #14

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Well itís surely worth to own a playset of this

  15. #15
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    3,824

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Wonder how good it would be with something like Lava Dart for added value. You can just float a red mana and fire it off for its Replicate cost after dealing one damage. In other corner cases, it could be good with Revolt after losing the Mountain, too.
    Good catch! I know some folks were skeptical of this for burn, but I think it has a very important use for the deck: feeding greedy Fireblasts. You get two turns to utilize those 'draws', meaning you can make the land drops you need to be more aggressive with Fireblast. The issue with Fireblast, which has always been awkward in multiples in hand, is the alternative cost. Now we can dig deeper for lands. It makes playing Sulfuric Vortex or other 3-mana cards a lot more feasible as well.

    Lava Dart seems like a potential card depending on the metagame. I mean, we already have Gut Shot which is 'free', although it only deals 1 damage. I think if you are in the market for some number of Forked Bolt then the swap to Lava Dart to help enable LUtS seems natural.

    Light up the Stage in Burn provides:
    1) Potential for ensuring land drops to feed 3cmc spells
    2) Potential for ensuring land drops to feed multiple Fireblast
    3) Extra draws that each deal 3+ damage
    4) Much needed velocity in a deck that is just a bit shy, about 1/2 turn, of being fast enough to break through another tier.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  16. #16
    Force of Will is my bitch
    Finn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2004
    Location

    South Florida
    Posts

    3,048

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Sean, I think this card will be everything for Burn. Time to gin up some lists, I guess.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

  17. #17
    Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Megadeus's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2012
    Location

    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts

    5,302

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I think it could work in something like affinity too. Basically anything aggressive that might play red.
    This. I want to play a red heavy affinity list with this and bomat courier maybe and galvanic blast I guess. I feel like there's some potential there. You could even throw in Thoughtcast if you wanted too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

    If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

  18. #18

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    In terms of draw I think it's better than Faithless Looting. FL puts things in yard which is important for THOSE decks, everything else can probably use this.

    Why does burn want this? Burn wants this because casting a spell for R that "draws 2 cards" actually does a lot for burn. Keep in mind burn is not always a "speed deck" but often is a card equity deck where every card does 3 damage. This card essentially does 3 damage, but what it DOES is makes you NOT run out of cards that do 3 damage.

    I would put this in burn and cast it literally AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. You hit with a Guide? cast this. Play the land off the top. Keep the sorcery/instant on top for next turn or play the creature. What that does is KEEPS THEM BOLTS IN HAND for late game.

    I think paying on Tuesday for a hamburger today is the type of thing burn wants to do.


    I think worst case scenario would be 2 fireblasts, which actually wouldn't be bad if you had land in hand, and in the case of mountain blast, you essentially reduced the cost of blast to that of Shard Volley, which still adds up. And would actually be great with land in hand.

    I'll try it at least.

  19. #19

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    ...
    4) Much needed velocity in a deck that is just a bit shy, about 1/2 turn, of being fast enough to break through another tier.
    I do think that it has upside in burn, but card advantage stuff like Light up the Stage tends to make for slower and more reliable decks since the R that you're spending on lighting up the stage isn't dealing damage or changing the state of the board.

  20. #20

    Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    This. I want to play a red heavy affinity list with this and bomat courier maybe and galvanic blast I guess. I feel like there's some potential there. You could even throw in Thoughtcast if you wanted too.
    Galvanic/Thoughtcast/Shrapnel/Stage? That's a lotta gas and burn damage.

    @Finn

    Yeah, I think this is a game changer for Burn.dec to hit Tier 1 tbh. Might also be enough to enable some kind of Rakdos aggro as well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)