Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SCD] Light up the Stage

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [SCD] Light up the Stage

Only big issue with metal craft deck is you likely won't cast fireblast easily. Might not matter as much if you can run galvanic blast, but fireblast is still great.
    -rob

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    @Finn

Yeah, I think this is a game changer for Burn.dec to hit Tier 1 tbh. Might also be enough to enable some kind of Rakdos aggro as well.
    Never underestimate the ability of blue to co-opt everything. I wonder if one of those blue-red burn decks is a natural home. I'm looking forward to those interesting interactions when someone cracks a fetch on your main to Brainstorm. At any rate, it is a great find. Well done.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I do think that it has upside in burn, but card advantage stuff like Light up the Stage tends to make for slower and more reliable decks since the R that you're spending on lighting up the stage isn't dealing damage or changing the state of the board.
    My assertion is that it gives velocity, digging deeper into the deck to abuse greedy Fireblasts. I haven't tested it yet. The first Fireblast is amazing, the 2nd one is rough unless you've flooded. LutS actually helps you reach 4 lands easily enough so your best burn spell can be cast more than once a game. I'm really interested in Lava Dart as well because it allows Forked Bolt to be spread over several turns. Drawing multiple lands or multiple Lava Darts/Fireblasts with Light up the Stage seems like pure gas.

For those of you wanting to play artifacts with Shrapnel Blast I suggest Black Vise! It has been very good in my janky list. It's pretty easy to support
    3-4x Shrapnel Blast with 4x Black Vise and 4x Great Furnace.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

not sure if you've noticed as well, but you can cast fireblast from exile as well by sacrificing 2 mountains. it's very possible that the R can lead to an additional 4 damage.

turn 1 guide. attack for 2.
    turn 2 attack. bolt bolt
    turn 3 can't attack b/c of blocker. bolt, stage, bolt, fireblast.

that's still 20. not sure how reliable this is, but it doesn't seem super unrealistic.

the other major turn i think for this deck is digging for eidolons. it's the best card in a lot of matchups, and the ability to find them is something burn couldn't find outside of opening hands.

i also wouldn't rule out decks like eldrazi trying to fit this into their list. that's a deck that has some clunky hands where going turn 1 into endless one, turn 2 attack cast this card, then flip over some useful things for that turn and the following turn doesn't seem half bad.
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    not sure if you've noticed as well, but you can cast fireblast from exile as well by sacrificing 2 mountains. it's very possible that the R can lead to an additional 4 damage.

turn 1 guide. attack for 2.
    turn 2 attack. bolt bolt
    turn 3 can't attack b/c of blocker. bolt, stage, bolt, fireblast.

that's still 20. not sure how reliable this is, but it doesn't seem super unrealistic.

the other major turn i think for this deck is digging for eidolons. it's the best card in a lot of matchups, and the ability to find them is something burn couldn't find outside of opening hands.

i also wouldn't rule out decks like eldrazi trying to fit this into their list. that's a deck that has some clunky hands where going turn 1 into endless one, turn 2 attack cast this card, then flip over some useful things for that turn and the following turn doesn't seem half bad.
    It rewards Eldrazi players still using Simian Spirit Guide as well to get t1 Chalices; it's another use of that red mana that can sometimes be dead in the mid-game. Fun fact: you can cast Light up the Stage for R even under a Chalice.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    It rewards Eldrazi players still using Simian Spirit Guide as well to get t1 Chalices; it's another use of that red mana that can sometimes be dead in the mid-game. Fun fact: you can cast Light up the Stage for R even under a Chalice.
    Totally. That and Counterbalance is 80% of the reasons why is good to run Skewer the Critics over many other good shots

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Totally. That and Counterbalance is 80% of the reasons why is good to run Skewer the Critics over many other good shots
    I agree with your reasoning, but I feel like drawing two is better than just getting another Bolt. Needing to connect before Skewering or Lighting Up also feels like it's going to be a taller order than some people are suggesting.

I guess this is the way I see it: we're not going to want too many cards that are dependent on hitting somebody, and I'd rather use those slots on draws (at least at this point, without having tested either card yet).
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

He just needs to lose life. Fetch lands and Force of Will are good enough already..
    Everyone agrees that Light up the Stage >>>> Skewer the Critics
    Last edited by Poron; 01-30-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I look at Light up the Stage as a Manamorphose that draws you 2 cards. Burn would play the SHIT out of that card, simply for turning it into a 56 card deck with the best 'fair' damage-to-mana ratios. By splitting the card draw over 2 turns (allowing you to play lands you draw) means it basically pays for itself if you draw even one land you normally wouldn't have, or rather 'drawing' it a turn earlier. The tempo you lose by paying R for 'draw 2' is gained back easily the next turn. All of this doesn't necessarily tip the scales to playability, but digging deeper for sideboard options is probably the best argument for LutS in burn. 'Didn't draw it, lost' is why there are decks like UR Delver that sacrifice uniformity (every non-land card deals 3+ damage) for Brainstorm and Ponder so they can have options against the field. With 18-20 lands and 40-42 Lightning Bolts your deck is either good or bad against particular opponents, with little ways to adjust beyond crossing your fingers and hope you draw your sideboard cards in needed matchups. The printing of Eidolon of the Great Revel Burn got significantly better. Now you can have card draw and still play all Mountains. Now you can dig for 3 mana cards and reliably cast them. I am unashamedly a big fan of this card.

Skewer the Critics isn't better than any of the Bolts already printed, arguably worse. In Modern where Chain Lightning doesn't exist it seems very good, but in Legacy we get 4 damage by sacrificing two Mountains. Another Bolt is not going to alter the deck significantly.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Thread Information