Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future of MTG

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Future of MTG

Hi all,

I did not know where to post this, so fill free to attached it to any other post.

I received this Video on YT from a friend who mostly play Modern.
    I think it is an interesting interview I would love to see a similar discussion about Legacy. Maybe someone knows the Prof guy and can ask him to do a Legacy interview.

I hope you will find something for yourself.
    Apart Legacy i also play Commander and Premodern so it was somehow good to listen to it.
    Here are the topic discussed:

1. Master sets
    2. Fetchlands
    3. New old Legends
    4. Signature spellbook
    5. Commander sets
    6. True name nemesis
    7. New format incoming
    8. New set incoming everyone will be talking

I think these are the most interesting parts for Legacy players in term of cardpool and format.

regards

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Future of MTG

Pretty sure the Professor reads his YouTube comments... You could ask him there.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

@Matsu: I didn't watch this interview but the Leaving a Legacy podcast have interviewed Gavin at least twice, quite nice episodes. Here's a link (you can find the podcast on other sites too if you need, this was what Google offered).

https://player.fm/series/leaving-a-l...ime-with-gavin

I don't know what was more offensive, the professor's attitude or Gavin's suit.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    @Matsu: I didn't watch this interview but the Leaving a Legacy podcast have interviewed Gavin at least twice, quite nice episodes. Here's a link (you can find the podcast on other sites too if you need, this was what Google offered).

https://player.fm/series/leaving-a-l...ime-with-gavin
    I listened to the most recent one yesterday, it was very good. I recommend.

I don't know what was more offensive, the professor's attitude or Gavin's suit.
    Gavin's suit is epic and I've never had a reason to complain about the Professor. His most egregious misstep was when he went full-on SJW a couple times, and even that wasn't really offensive, just maybe a little overdramatic. Messages were on-point.

EDIT: I'm being sarcastic, he has never portrayed the negative 'sjw' persona. People who are familiar with him know how upstanding he is.
    Last edited by Jander78; 01-30-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Red is reserved for mods.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I listened to the most recent one yesterday, it was very good. I recommend.

Gavin's suit is epic and I've never had a reason to complain about the Professor. His most egregious misstep was when he went full-on SJW a couple times, and even that wasn't really offensive, just maybe a little overdramatic. Messages were on-point.
    He went full on sjw? In that video? How fragile are you?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    He went full on sjw? In that video? How fragile are you?
    No, no, no, I was being sarcastic. It doesn't come off very well on the internet.

And I quote myself:

...and I've never had a reason to complain about the Professor.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Loved the video, love the professor.

As the Professor says, The future of Magic is Pauper

Seriously, every other format is becoming too expensive to be affordable for average people. Pauper is the only format where you can build a viable competitive deck for under $60. MTG is a game, average people balk at the idea of spending over $60 on a game.

I love the discipline of WotC employers when it comes to not acknowledge the secondary market value of cards. It is so silly, but i understand that it's needed because of laws etc, but still, sooooo silly
    "there is a lot of modern players who put a lot of time and effort and trading to get the cards they need for their decks"
    We all know he/wotc actually thinks
    "there is a lot of modern players who spent a lot of money to get the cards they need for their decks"
    But just can't say it.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    I love the discipline of WotC employers when it comes to not acknowledge the secondary market value of cards. It is so silly, but i understand that it's needed because of laws etc, but still, sooooo silly
    "there is a lot of modern players who put a lot of time and effort and trading to get the cards they need for their decks"
    "there is a lot of modern players who spent a lot of money to get the cards they need for their decks"
    But just can't say it.
    Well, yeah, but at least Gavin makes an actual effort to have his corporate double-speak not slap you in the face with it's blatancy. Honestly I think what he said is pretty reasonable, all things considered, and the perspective he seems to convey is actually a similar one that I tried to outline in previous posts I've had about "value" in products (which just got dismissed and lampooned because I wasn't succinct enough in my terminology, which, fair enough, but I do think the point has merit).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    But just can't say it.
    It's "kayfabe" at its best ... like watching Bruno Sammartino talking about wrestling. Everyone knows the truth but people in the biz try to keep up the illusion.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Loved the video, love the professor.

As the Professor says, The future of Magic is Pauper

Seriously, every other format is becoming too expensive to be affordable for average people. Pauper is the only format where you can build a viable competitive deck for under $60. MTG is a game, average people balk at the idea of spending over $60 on a game.
    I don't think MtG is a game that has mass market appeal and doubt it ever will. It's a hobbyist pursuit ultimately and people who are really into it will eventually invest the money to play the formats they enjoy, just as people who get into shooting, sailing, games workshop or whatever else.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

This thread is called "Future of MTG"

The thread above it is called "The current state of Magic"

Anyone know where I can find the ghost of Magic Past to complete the trifecta?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    No, no, no, I was being sarcastic. It doesn't come off very well on the internet.
    my b

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    This thread is called "Future of MTG"

The thread above it is called "The current state of Magic"

Anyone know where I can find the ghost of Magic Past to complete the trifecta?
    The ghosts of legacy past are in the banned list thread.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The ghosts of legacy past are in the banned list thread.
    Definitely.

Gavin keeps repeating we are listening the community but it takes time to react. I am curious if someone from Wotc/Hasbro is reading this forum? Legacy has a problem for a longer time especially with blue cards...
    On the other side he keeps saying TNN was a mistake and this card should never work the way it is working, but no ban Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    On the other side he keeps saying TNN was a mistake and this card should never work the way it is working, but no ban Hammer.
    Legacy has this thing where people will openly admit that card are beyond the pale in power level but still allow them because "Legacy is the format for that". (See: Brainstorm). We can hate it all we want, and point out stupid bans all we want, but it's what legacy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Definitely.

Gavin keeps repeating we are listening the community but it takes time to react. I am curious if someone from Wotc/Hasbro is reading this forum? Legacy has a problem for a longer time especially with blue cards...
    Do you think the majority of legacy players agree with your idea that legacy has a problem with blue cards? I don't... and if I did I would probably not play legacy. I think this could be a really good reason for wizard to not do anything about the "problem".

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Oh look, another "boohohoho Brainstorm" thread
    I thought that's why we have the B&R one.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Oh look, another "boohohoho Brainstorm" thread
    I thought that's why we have the B&R one.
    Every thread should shit on brainstorm imo.

Thread Information