Thread: Future of MTG

Hybrid View

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Future of MTG

Hi all,

I did not know where to post this, so fill free to attached it to any other post.

I received this Video on YT from a friend who mostly play Modern.
    I think it is an interesting interview I would love to see a similar discussion about Legacy. Maybe someone knows the Prof guy and can ask him to do a Legacy interview.

I hope you will find something for yourself.
    Apart Legacy i also play Commander and Premodern so it was somehow good to listen to it.
    Here are the topic discussed:

1. Master sets
    2. Fetchlands
    3. New old Legends
    4. Signature spellbook
    5. Commander sets
    6. True name nemesis
    7. New format incoming
    8. New set incoming everyone will be talking

I think these are the most interesting parts for Legacy players in term of cardpool and format.

regards

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Future of MTG

Pretty sure the Professor reads his YouTube comments... You could ask him there.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

@Matsu: I didn't watch this interview but the Leaving a Legacy podcast have interviewed Gavin at least twice, quite nice episodes. Here's a link (you can find the podcast on other sites too if you need, this was what Google offered).

https://player.fm/series/leaving-a-l...ime-with-gavin

I don't know what was more offensive, the professor's attitude or Gavin's suit.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    @Matsu: I didn't watch this interview but the Leaving a Legacy podcast have interviewed Gavin at least twice, quite nice episodes. Here's a link (you can find the podcast on other sites too if you need, this was what Google offered).

https://player.fm/series/leaving-a-l...ime-with-gavin
    I listened to the most recent one yesterday, it was very good. I recommend.

I don't know what was more offensive, the professor's attitude or Gavin's suit.
    Gavin's suit is epic and I've never had a reason to complain about the Professor. His most egregious misstep was when he went full-on SJW a couple times, and even that wasn't really offensive, just maybe a little overdramatic. Messages were on-point.

EDIT: I'm being sarcastic, he has never portrayed the negative 'sjw' persona. People who are familiar with him know how upstanding he is.
    Last edited by Jander78; 01-30-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Red is reserved for mods.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I listened to the most recent one yesterday, it was very good. I recommend.

Gavin's suit is epic and I've never had a reason to complain about the Professor. His most egregious misstep was when he went full-on SJW a couple times, and even that wasn't really offensive, just maybe a little overdramatic. Messages were on-point.
    He went full on sjw? In that video? How fragile are you?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    He went full on sjw? In that video? How fragile are you?
    No, no, no, I was being sarcastic. It doesn't come off very well on the internet.

And I quote myself:

...and I've never had a reason to complain about the Professor.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Maaaaybe I was still on topic without saying it: the future of MTG is less about tournament structure and circuits but more about groups of people who come together to support it.

There will be a time in the future where the economy can't support this game. It will die. And the only thing (regarding MTG) left will be any people geographically close enough to have leisure time and means to game together.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Old School is just so boring from a gameplay perspective. I think that's why I don't like it
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Maaaaybe I was still on topic without saying it: the future of MTG is less about tournament structure and circuits but more about groups of people who come together to support it.

There will be a time in the future where the economy can't support this game. It will die. And the only thing (regarding MTG) left will be any people geographically close enough to have leisure time and means to game together.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I agree with you, jandax. The most predominant form of Magic is kitchen table Magic, and it's been that way for ages. EDH/Commander has a massive following. Magic is large enough, old enough, and complex enough to birth endless variations. All it takes is a critical number of people to agree that a certain format is fun for it to be a thing, and more can join in. Pauper has grown. The Internet has helped Old School thrive, and it could do the same for formats yet to be designed. I have a friend who designs versions of the Battle Box format, and I based my own box on what I liked from that gameplay. I bring my box to Legacy events and jam games before and after, and I have yet to find someone who didn't enjoy the experience. I was commissioned to build a box by a former playtesting partner, and we play every time we get together. He loves having a way to connect to the game even though he's a father now and hasn't otherwise engaged with Magic in half a decade. And, yes, one day WOTC will shut down or be carved up and sold, and there will be no more new cards produced by WOTC. But I definitely believe the game will go on. It's too important to too many people to actually die.

Thread Information