Thread: CatBlade

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Meow Mix

Meow here with a brand spanking new deck from a standard-banned combo! Ok, to tell the truth, it's a bit of an obvious A+B combo plus generic fair plan C to build your own midrange combo deck. Saheeli and Felidar both draw cards if you build a deck with some come into play value creatures. Stoneforge is an obvious choice because it presents such a different threat to defend against than the Copycat combo. Round it out with Snapcaster and maybe Clique that's a mediocre fair deck plus a mediocre combo deck!

I went 4-0 and 3-1 at a CardKingdom weekly with this list:

// 21 lands
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Karakas
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island

// 11 creatures
    4 Felidar Guardian
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Vendilion Clique

// 16 spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Batterskull
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Saheeli Rai

// Sideboard:
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Council's Judgment
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Flusterstorm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Supreme Verdict
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Wear // Tear

Match + post-match interview here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/371578989?t=2h33m

Obvious FAQ time:
    • Why is it better than Twin, a tier 3 legacy deck? The mana is better by not needing double red, and your combo pieces can be deployed in any order and draw cards when they come into play (as long as you have another permanent in play).
    • Isn't the Stoneforge plan the only good part of this list? Maybe, but threatening to combo (potentially without having to pass the turn if you have 6+ lands in play), plus also having a respectable fair plan makes it quite difficult for opponents to correctly assign role. They have to thread the needle between anwering early threats like Stoneforge, presenting a clock, and leaving disruption for a fairly low-commitment combo.
    • Can this deck beat Grixis control? No.
    Last edited by phazonmutant; 02-05-2019 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Correcting title
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Re: CatBlade

I feel like you missed a golden opportunity to name a deck Meow Mix.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Come on meow, let's not kibble about the name.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

I went 3-1 tonight, is this deck real? 🤔 Beat Miracles, BUG midrange, Shardless BUG; lost to Burn in close games. That matchup seems favored.

Also, fixed the title, this deck is indeed Meow Mix.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    I went 3-1 tonight, is this deck real? 🤔 Beat Miracles, BUG midrange, Shardless BUG; lost to Burn in close games. That matchup seems favored.

Also, fixed the title, this deck is indeed Meow Mix.
    You had some savage plays on camera. That Surgical vs. Sam was brutal!

Sep 2011

This deck is the Cat's Meow.

With 12 Stoneforge Mystics, do you find yourself running out of equipment to grab? Why not Jitte main?

SoFaI is my favorite sword, but it has an awkward interaction with Saheeli. If you equip SFM (likely your only creature on board) and then drop Saheeli, you can't copy SFM due to protection from red and blue. Protection from white has the same awkward interaction with Cat. Sword of Feast and Famine is the only one that doesn't interfere.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    This deck is the Cat's Meow.

With 12 Stoneforge Mystics, do you find yourself running out of equipment to grab? Why not Jitte main?

SoFaI is my favorite sword, but it has an awkward interaction with Saheeli. If you equip SFM (likely your only creature on board) and then drop Saheeli, you can't copy SFM due to protection from red and blue. Protection from white has the same awkward interaction with Cat. Sword of Feast and Famine is the only one that doesn't interfere.
    Good question, maybe should be there? My meta is a lot more control than creature decks, so at least for me SoFi main is good. There aren't many creatures in the deck compared to dedicated Stoneforge decks, so I think it would be dead more. I've found that I've been able to Brainstorm away equipment if the Stoneforge dies, and if it doesn't you're probably winning. You're right about that nonbo, but Sofi in my experience usually leads to a win if equipped. Not sure if that's true for a less powerful equipment like Sword of Feast and Famine, even if it doesn't have that Saheeli nonbo. But hey, try it out. I could be wrong.

Sep 2011

Needs more cats.

Room for a single Enlightened Ascetic or Leonin Relic-Warder in the SB as conditional enchantment/artifact kill that curves out and synergizes with your engine?

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Needs more cats.

Room for a single Enlightened Ascetic or Leonin Relic-Warder in the SB as conditional enchantment/artifact kill that curves out and synergizes with your engine?
    I appreciate the suggestions, but I think of this more as a Grizzled Leotau deck. 1/Xs 4 lyfe. Or maybe Felidar Sovereign, that's got 4 lyfe written all over it.

Thread Information