Thread: Mono black extirpate

Mono black extirpate

So I was trying to come up with a good sideboard for my mono blue combo when I came across a nutty idea.. mono black (possibly splash blue) extirpate/surgical_all_opposing_wincons.deck

4 surgical extraction
    4 extirpate
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 hymn to tourach
    4 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    4 cabal coffers
    4 sinkhole
    4 Gurmag angler
    3 helldozer
    8 snow covered swamp
    4 ancient tomb
    2 steel hellkite
    2 hero’s downfall
    3 phyrexian arena
    2 isocron scepter

Something like that? Discard their stuff, extirpate them, more discard, more denial of things, ramp out helldozer, nuke their lands, surgical the lands, imprint extirpate on the scepter, and just keep going till you win/they concede.

It’s looking pretty bad, but I think that’s a solid start (and pretty freaking scary to stare down, especially if you end up discarding and having a key combo piece exiled).

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Re: Mono black extirpate

I'd cut sinkhole and helldozer for some of these:

Smallpox
    Crucible of worlds plus wasteland or ghost quarter
    Fatal push
    Dark ritual

I suggest 4 engineered plague in the board for elves/dnt/goblins which look unwinnable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

kinda had good suggestions. I would suggest:

Cut Scepter, Helldozer, Arena, and Hero's Downfall for Fatal Push, Edict, Night's Whisper, LotH, and LotV.

Cut Tomb and Coffers for Wasteland, GQ, Crucible, and maybe fetches to feed Delve.

Consider shaving a few copies of Angler for Tombstalker. Or consider removing them all-together. You can have a Mishra's Factory / Crucible plan to win.

Consider shaving a few copies of your one mana discard.

Lingering Souls could be good with LotV and Smallpox self-discard.

Sideboard should have Dread of Night.

Look at the Pox lists and build from there.

Sep 2011

This has often been suggested over the years and usually ends up being bad because Extirpate/Surgical are card disadvantage most of the time. You beat unfair decks but fall behind on cards against fair decks. It also suffers from having terrible topdecks. At the very least, you need a way to compensate for card disadvantage.

If you want to try it, a Pox shell works better than a Trainwreck shell. Coffers/Helldozer is too slow for Legacy now. You could try to regain cards via Phyrexian Arena, green splash for Life from the Loam, or planeswalkers to outgrind fair decks.

You also probably want Wasteland and mana denial, so you can extract a land and color-screw greedy multicolor decks and land-based combos (Dark Depths, Punishing Fire).

Alright, that makes sense.

I've changed the build a bit now actually, i'm going more all-in with a pox-shell, and added in archive trap just to increase the chances of hitting something that's relevant.

...and then in doing so, testing quickly revealed some major problems with the strategy - i realised that i would be helping reanimator, storm, anything playing delve cards, and so on. yikes.

It's still been kinda funny being able to natural-mill-kill miracles decks though, but it doesn't seem like that's what i should be doing.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    It's still been kinda funny being able to natural-mill-kill miracles decks though, but it doesn't seem like that's what i should be doing.
    no joke, i always squeezed in one nephalia drownyard when i was playing UB to get miracles that way.
    i was on the dark depths and thespians' stage plan, but being able to stage the drownyard and mill 6 was real.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    no joke, i always squeezed in one nephalia drownyard when i was playing UB to get miracles that way.
    i was on the dark depths and thespians' stage plan, but being able to stage the drownyard and mill 6 was real.
    This is a cool idea

The deck in the OP can't beat a turn 1 delver of secrets

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    This is a cool idea

The deck in the OP can't beat a turn 1 delver of secrets
    It depends which turn 1 delver, really. The OP list can power out 4-5 mana turn 3, and 8+ mana turn 4, so steel hellkite is used as removal, and helldozer as land destruction. But yea, it’s too slow for most UR delver lists. Grixis control lists might struggle a bit and even UW might have a rough time if it stabilizes.
    But I recognize that it’s really not very good. Been trying to turn it into a pox-into-extirpate tribal post-board instead.

Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Sep 2011

It depends which turn 1 delver, really. The OP list can power out 4-5 mana turn 3, and 8+ mana turn 4, so steel hellkite is used as removal, and helldozer as land destruction. But yea, it’s too slow for most UR delver lists.
    How does it power out those expensive cards so fast?

You mean if the opponent plays turn 1 Delver + 20 Island + 39 Opt? Yeah it can easily beat that. Against an actual Delver deck, they back-up Delver with cards like Wasteland, Daze and Force of Will (and cantrips to find them). Those make it very hard to resolve 6-mana threats. That's why Trainwreck.dec (monoblack Coffers + Helldozer) has not been Legacy viable for years. The engine is just too clunky, and tempo decks are too efficient.

You're better off with a Pox build with lower cc answers that are easier to deploy.

Here's an example of a Pox build with Surgical Extraction/Extirpate plan. There's a mix of discard (TS, Hymn, Lili, Smallpox), land destruction (Crucible+Wasteland, Smallpox), and creature removal (Fatal Push, Lili, Smallpox, Scroll). You control their hand and board and then can use Surgical/Extirpate to permanently remove key pieces in their deck.

//Spells: 24
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Surgical Extraction
    4 Fatal Push
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Smallpox

//Planeswalkers: 4
    4 Liliana of the Veil

//Artifacts and Enchantments: 9
    4 The Rack
    2 Cursed Scroll
    3 Crucible of Worlds

//Lands: 23
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    3 Marsh Flats
    9 Swamp

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Extirpate
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    3 Tombstalker

SB plan of bringing in Tombstalkers when they board out removal.

Ensnaring Bridge is also very good when you're playing to empty your hand (Lili, Cursed Scroll).

The deck might need card draw to make up for all the card disadvantage. Maybe cut Scrolls and a Crucible for Phyrexian Arena? Needs testing.

Woah geez.. I think my collection is worth about 1 chains... is it that good?

But yea, I get what you mean tho, and it’s definitely true for rug and ur.. but in playing against uw delver, it’s been very durdly (or maybe I just keep getting lucky).

The pox list looks good, but that chains is something that I doubt I’d ever get a copy of, unfortunately.

I’m gonna proxy a list to see how it feels before I start saving at least. See how that goes!

Sep 2011

Woah geez.. I think my collection is worth about 1 chains... is it that good?

But yea, I get what you mean tho, and it’s definitely true for rug and ur.. but in playing against uw delver, it’s been very durdly (or maybe I just keep getting lucky).

The pox list looks good, but that chains is something that I doubt I’d ever get a copy of, unfortunately.
    Chains isn't necessary at all. It's a fun card to trump Brainstorm, but it's unreasonably expensive. Feel free to replace it with some other useful sideboard card.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Check out the link in my sig, deck sadistic sacrament. It seems to be the same theme as what you are trying to accomplish but goes about it slightly differently. I still play the deck sometimes but it requires alot of thought.

You need to know your opponents decks very well tp decide what your strategy needs to be. Sometimes you exile creatures, lands, or removal. Most often it is removal that can deal with bridge.

Some matches are as simple as successfully landing a bridge g1 and post board land the bridge and sadistic the sb cards.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Thread Information